2009 Kia Sedona Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sedona model:
2009 Kia Sedona
By 09_kia_sedona on 07/24/14 20:21 PM (PDT)

2009 Kia Sedona Minivan LX 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our 2009 Sedona in 2011 - it had 30K on it. I LOVED that van. It was roomy, reliable, and had very few problems (the rubber on the sliding door came loose but that was covered by the warranty). The ONLY reasons we got rid of it were because of the high miles (115K) and it's not the best with gas mileage. I would bet that van could've easily lasted another 100K but I didn't want to deal with any age-related issues.

Kia forever
By tommydriver on 04/17/12 19:01 PM (PDT)

2009 Kia Sedona Minivan LX 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

Was anti minivan until I traded in my too small baby jag for a family friendly Sedona in May 2010. Since then we jave put almost 15000 miles on it. Haven't regretted buying it yet. I have used it as a cargo hauler and people hauler. Took it cross country from Illinois to California and loved driving it the whole three days. Very comfortable and roomy for the whole family, good gas mileage, and ate up the Rockies without even breathing too hard. I will be replacing this with another Kia when it's time for a new vehicle. They may not be the most exciting, but they're always the best bang for your buck.

Huge mistake
By kidschauffer2 on 02/13/11 17:44 PM (PST)

2009 Kia Sedona Minivan LX 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 09 Sedona new. It had 23 repairs within the first 11 months. According to Fuccillo and Kia Motors it's not a lemon, so must be they are all built like this. Engine problems, electrical problems, brake problems, engine stability control problems, clamps breaking, sliding door that gets stuck and won't open, oil pools near the engine, and a tire light that comes on frequently. Mass Air Flow sensor replaced, 2 ABS sensors replaced (at seperate times) Hub ring replaced and heat shield clamps replaced. Engine sounds awful, loud and rumbly when started and sounds like a wind tunnel going down the highway. Never again will I own a Kia! Worst vehicle I've ever owned!

Save yourself and stay away from Sedona!
By Lemonade on 08/18/10 13:07 PM (PDT)

2009 Kia Sedona Minivan EX 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

This has been the worst car I have ever owned! It didn't start 2-3 times a month for the year I owned it and after 38 days in the shop and 5 visits we applied for the New York state lemon law and won. The bottom feeding Billy Fuccillo's service department used my car for the weekend and left it a mess Problems (power sliding doors not opening and car randomly not starting of course not fixed. This left me in many parking lots with my 3 kids under 4 counting on strangers to let me get a jump off of their car (The kia 24 hour help line would take 2-4hours to come when they picked up the phone). The radio also went the second week, Fuccillo had been painting their building and painted the car

Love our sedona
By Karen on 07/19/10 05:58 AM (PDT)

2009 Kia Sedona Minivan LX 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased this van in late May (2010). We wanted something comparable to our pick-up as far as hauling items around. We are very happy with the purchase. I love the smooth ride, and comfort from this van. We bought the lx model 2009 in 2010. Got a great trade-in deal and love the way it handles on the road. Pure comfort for the driver and the passenger. Wish they would have had the option Dual Climate control in the lx, comes only in the ex. We've had this van for only 2 months and I can't wait to take a trip with it.

Great van with little problems
By Landric on 07/13/10 10:23 AM (PDT)

2009 Kia Sedona Minivan LX 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this van in 4/10 as a new 09 and got a great deal. Ride quality is nice, the engine is smooth, quiet, and powerful, and the interior is well though out with the exception of the armrests, which are mounted too low on the seats. So far its only got 1600 miles on it, as we mainly use it for family outings and not day to day driving. In that time its been back to the dealer twice because the check engine light came two different times and the battery died once. Kia roadside assistance picked it up when the battery died, and both of the check engine lights turned out to be sensor problems. Hopefully all that is sorted out. I love the van, but not the hassle its been so far.

Love my Sedona
By LovemyKia on 06/01/10 13:22 PM (PDT)

2009 Kia Sedona Minivan LX 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

When I became pregnant with our 2nd child our Toyota Yaris wasn't going to cut it with 2 car seats. We needed something bigger and safe! The Kia Sedona fit our budget and gave us more room. We have had our Sedona for 2 months now and I wouldn't trade it for the world. We bought a 2009 so we got an awesome deal since it's 2010. Coming from a Toyota family I as pretty nervous but it's a GREAT minivan and I feel safe with my family in tow since it's a 5 star rated vehicle.

not as expected
By nan on 05/17/10 11:24 AM (PDT)

2009 Kia Sedona Minivan EX 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

We rode in 2 Sedonas EX that provided great ride over bumps, etc. However, due to color etc. we bought a different color Sedona EX and find the ride over cracks in the road etc. very uncomfortable. Rides well on smooth roads, but otherwise, like an old truck. Very disappointed in the quality of ride.

So far so good
By scott on 05/16/10 19:40 PM (PDT)

2009 Kia Sedona Minivan LX 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

Currently have 2500 miles and not one complaint. Drives better than our previous 2003 Odessey and 10K less. KIA/Hyundai is challenging overpriced Hondas and Toyota who are living on undeserved reputations and ripoff dealers. This is not the KIA of 5/10 years ago. Don't be afraid to buy. She's a little thirty with that powerful engine and all the room, but if want great mileage, buy a small Mazda 5 or something similar.

Quiet, tight ride
By sarakr on 04/02/10 00:54 AM (PDT)

2009 Kia Sedona Minivan LX 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

Our family has been very happy with our van. We have been surprised at the quality and reliability of he vehicle. It handles very well and has fabulous acceleration. We opted for the power package with power sliding doors and back up assist. The van is an excellent value for the money.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Kia Sedona Minivan in VA is:

$120 per month*