Used 2008 Kia Sedona Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Kia Sedona - Consumer Reviews

2008 Kia Sedona Minivan

View reviews for a specific Sedona model:

Not comfortable
By clhughart

2008 Kia Sedona Minivan LX 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

In 2012 we purchased a 2008 Sedona with 65,000 miles to replace a 92 Plmouth Voyager that had 210,000 miles. The Sedona handled much better and had lots of power compared to the Plymouth. Our Sedona had non-power cloth seats; my back would hurt after about an hour and my wife complained about her legs hurting. We sold the Sedona after owning for three months. First time I've had a vehicle for such a short period of time. Also, the carpet was sort of like that trunk carpet where you can't hardly sweep anything out of it (sand/grass/etc.). The doors would easily freeze shut in the cold, and the interior trim just didn't look like it was gong to hold up as well as the Plymouth did.

Favorite Features

Handled very well and very powerful. Had decent gas mileage (low 20's). Very nice looking van. Back seat folded away easily.

Suggested Improvements

Seats; headrest was too far foward and something about the entire seat was just not comfortable. Better carpet. Middle bucket seats were hard to remove. Could not put a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood in it due to the way the door opening was designed.

KIA Not Loyal to Me
By jarhead6591

2008 Kia Sedona Minivan EX 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

We bought a brand new '08 KIA Sedona EX, with all the bells and whistles (leather heated seats, adjustable pedals, sunroof, DVD system, etc., except navigation). We had an '06 Sedona LX that we liked and I figured we'd go for top of the line. Don't get me wrong, we love our EX, but will never buy another KAI again; no trade-in or resale value. We average 20 miles to the gallon, combined city and highway, but wanted something better on the gas. We checked into the KIA Sorento, really liked it and it gets excellent gas mileage with the 2.4L GDI engine. When I asked what I could get for a trade-in, I was told $13,000. My best advice...check resale values before you buy your next new car.

Favorite Features

We love everything about our Sedona, except the trade-in/resale value and the MPG. The service department at the KIA dealership is friendly and they always go the extra mile. Now that the kids are all grown, we don't need as much room.

Suggested Improvements

I suggest the folks at Black Book and Kelley Blue Book rethink the trade-in and resale values on the KIA Sedona. They are excellent minivans and comparable to if not better than Toyota and Honda. The 3.8L engine is powerful and reliable. The Sedona offers plenty of room and comfort for long road trips and is easy to get in and out. And it has an excellent safety rating to boot. I have never seen one broke down along the side of the road. 10 year/100,000 mile warranty tells me they are very sure of thier power train, not Honda or Toyota.

Very good value used
By wildkard58

2008 Kia Sedona Minivan LX 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a 2008 Kia Sedona LX (no options) in November 2011 for $12,600 CDN. The car had 38,000 kms on it with full bumper to bumper warranty until September 2013. I've had it for 17 days now with 1,000 kms put in. The V6 engine is the same as the Hyundai Genesis' V6 - smooth with plenty of power. The Sedona is a very good highway cruiser: quiet, comfortable and decent gas consumption. In the city, the suspension will tell you every bump in the road. It doesn't handle as well as it's competitors but that's not saying that the Sedona handles poorly. It is car like in handling but not as good as it's competitors. Base LX model is pretty loaded. Very good minivan for your money.

Favorite Features

Base LX model with no options comes with many standard features. ALL windows are POWER, including the sliding door windows and the "chicken wings" in the back. Tri-zone ventilation is a luxury feature - very convenient. Throw in there the rear parking sensors and you have a loaded van at a base model price.

Suggested Improvements

Interior materials and finish give a "cheap" feeling. The steering wheel and the stalks feel like something used in an entry level compact car while the seat materials feel upgraded. Gives a mismatched feeling for the interior.

Kia Got it Right
By Damned_Right

2008 Kia Sedona Minivan LX 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

The soccer mom meme doesn't apply. There's nothing "mini" about this van. It is as solid a beast as any pick-up truck, IMO. The versatility is amazing, converting it from a hauler w/ the rear seats down and the mid seats folded fwd, to a comfortable transport for seven. Everything is where it needs to be - cup holders, nooks, comfortable seating & decent mileage. My only gripe is AM radio reception which is limited to only local broadcasts - no distant stations can be rec'd where any other radio would, easily. Not sure if this is just my Sedona doing this, or others have similar issues.. Would be curious to know, if it can be fixed. Note the newer Sedonas no longer use in-glass antennas.

Favorite Features

Versatility, comfort, very strong drive train.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the radio issues, if they haven't been already.

Trip Car
By Colorado Mountaineer

2008 Kia Sedona Minivan LX 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

We selected the Kia over other makes result of maintenance reviews. Our 2008 Sedona has 39,000 ( used)is a great van with plenty of space and lots of comfort for our family. Took road trip of 3.000 traveled wonderful. 25 mpg on road. Easy to drive and plenty of pep. The seats are very adjustable with good support. Lots of storage in cabin and rear of two back seats. Air and heat in compartment very good and door windows give lots of air inside.

Favorite Features

Storage,inside seating space and seat comfort. Driving ease, power and styling. The warranty is good too. Great family car with all the toys and safety built in. A lot of car for the price.

Suggested Improvements

Really NO suggestions. The Sedona is outstanding van.