Used 2008 Kia Sedona EX Consumer Reviews - 18 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Kia Sedona - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sedona model:

VERY Glitchy Electronics, very good Driving
By Kris S.....

2008 Kia Sedona EX 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

Headlights keep blowing due to faulty connectors to bulbs, power doors open/won't open randomly, 2-driver auto seat controls are a fantastic idea with horribly failed execution. I'm tall and the car randomly squishes me up to my short wife's positions and I have to readjust EVERY part of seat position and mirror settings. Memory seat setting buttons forget the settings. CD player died (after 8 years). All that said, the driving experience is great, good power and road feel for a vehicle this size. Seats (esp 6-way power driver's) are very comfortable. Easily carries 2 bikes and gear to races w 4 people. Crams in 4 bikes and people with more bike dissasembly. Goes fine in snow w good tires. Great veh for long family trips or short hauls w lots of stuff. NO problems at all with the OEM sunroof. A/C and heat are both really good. Love the heated seats. At 116k miles now my mechanic says it needs a new steering rack (leaking) and power steering pump (killed by leaking steering rack.) Over $2,000 repair bill. Yikes. I don't recall the price we paid, but do remember we saved thousands over Honda and Toyota competing versions.

KIA Not Loyal to Me
By jarhead6591

2008 Kia Sedona EX 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

We bought a brand new '08 KIA Sedona EX, with all the bells and whistles (leather heated seats, adjustable pedals, sunroof, DVD system, etc., except navigation).
We had an '06 Sedona LX that we liked and I figured we'd go for top of the line.
Don't get me wrong, we love our EX, but will never buy another KAI again; no trade-in or resale value.
We average 20 miles to the gallon, combined city and highway, but wanted something better on the gas.
We checked into the KIA Sorento, really liked it and it gets excellent gas mileage with the 2.4L GDI engine.
When I asked what I could get for a trade-in, I was told $13,000.
My best advice...check resale values before you buy your next new car.

We love everything about our Sedona, except the trade-in/resale value and the MPG. The service department at the KIA dealership is friendly and they always go the extra mile. Now that the kids are all grown, we don't need as much room.

I suggest the folks at Black Book and Kelley Blue Book rethink the trade-in and resale values on the KIA Sedona. They are excellent minivans and comparable to if not better than Toyota and Honda. The 3.8L engine is powerful and reliable. The Sedona offers plenty of room and comfort for long road trips and is easy to get in and out. And it has an excellent safety rating to boot. I have never seen one broke down along the side of the road. 10 year/100,000 mile warranty tells me they are very sure of thier power train, not Honda or Toyota.

Surprisingly Great Vehicle
By Tom

2008 Kia Sedona EX 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the new 2008 Kia Sedona in June 2009 and got an excellent deal. My wife and I were skeptical about a "foreign" minivan until we test drove it. We got the EX for the leather seats and other upgrades. As our first "foreign" vehicle, the car exceeded our expectations. Acceleration is excellent, interior fit and finish outstanding. Gas mileage could be better but since we only travel 5000 miles per year, it's not a problem. Interior cargo space is plentiful. We almost bought a Town & Country prior to test driving the Kia and we made a great decision. We hope Kia continues to produce excellent vehicles.

Comfortable seats (leather), smooth ride, quiet interior, cargo volume, acceleration.

Better gas mileage; more safety features (blind spot warning, etc.; better audio system

Now that it's fixed, I love it
By irritatrux

2008 Kia Sedona EX 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

I had trouble with my Sedona when new; the battery kept draining. It took the dealer awhile to find the problem (a computer module wasn't connected tightly), but they were so helpful, and KIA even called me a couple times during the repair without me asking for their help. I was impressed with their customer service; it made an annoying issue easier to deal with. Once that little problem was solved, the van has been a dream. I took it on an 1800 mile trip last month, and it performed flawlessly and was so relaxing to drive. Normally that kind of trip tires me out, but the driving comfort is so great that I was able to drive lots further in a day than normal. I can't wait to take more trips.

Very comfortable. Acceptable road noise. Gets pretty good mileage for a V6 behemoth 25 mpg on highway at 70 mph. Controls are easy to use. Lots of nice standard safety features. Came with Michelins. Can take second row seats out and sleep in it when camping - which I do often!

The sound system doesn't blow me away, but hey, it's a van, not the sporty cars I had when I was younger.

Minivan vs Suburban
By Mrs. M

2008 Kia Sedona EX 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

We've always had SUV's since we started our family. But decided to downsize from our 07 Suburban to this minivan. I was kinda sad b/c the Suburban looked "cooler" but WOW! I love this car and so does my husband. We have 4 small children and the Sedona is hands down the most convenient and comfortable auto we've had. I love almost everything about it. Almost. There are only a couple things to bring up. The interior cloth is cheap looking. Wish we got the leather. And although it seats 7,if you have to seat 5 kids I wouldn't recommend this car for you. The back bench seat is narrow so 3 kids in the back is tight. And the poor kid who has the middle gets an uncomfortable seatbelt

Looks nice and drives awesome. Love all the extra storage everywhere and huge glove compartment. LOVE the huge floor mats that basically cover the entire floor. Fits 4 kids and 2 adults very comfortable

fix the very back benchseat so the middle person has a regular seatbelt coming out the way everyone else does. Instead of out the ceiling. Make bench seat in the middle an option. I don't like the quad seating.