Used 2006 Kia Sedona Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Kia Sedona - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sedona model:

My Kia has gremlins
By Chris

2006 Kia Sedona LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

Here are some of the problems: Numerous things: AC does not blow cold continually and has been repaired several times Horn problems that have been fixed several times (Does not work properly when lock vehicle and it is to "chirp" when it locks). Also, security horn has had to be replaced Shifting / odd transmission type problem - the vehicle "bangs" when you come down a hill to a stop. Also, when slowing down to a stop light it actually has a surge or acceleration. Very scary and they say this is ok or they can not find a problem. Also as you are driving it accelerates or decelerates oddly. Brakes - vehicle only has 62,000 and have replaced brakes twice.

Suggested Improvements

See above. I think there are numerous items that should be considered for a recall.

Sorry we bought this beast
By erininohio

2006 Kia Sedona LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

Bought a new '06 in '07. Thought we were getting a deal.Buy van get RIO free.Still think there was something illegal about the paperwork,since we ended up with a loan on the "free" RIO.the van has not performed well at all. Headlights constantly going out.As soon as temp drops under 40 side doors freeze shut(dealership thinks I'm crazy)Third row seat keeps getting caught,have to use screwdriver to unstick it.Brakes and tires shot at 20000 miles. Alignment has never been right. Airbag had to be fixed. Light still comes on. Engine light on and off all the time. They say there is nothing wrong with it,but van keeps acting like it is going to die on the road.Value is next to nothing.

Favorite Features

Engine power when it runs right.

Suggested Improvements

MPG. Doors that don't freeze shut.Better headlights.Better brakes and tires. Overall a vehicle that is more reliable.

Problems getting more frequent.
By Van driver

2006 Kia Sedona LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

I've driven this van for our work the last four years. Good stuff first, this van rides really nice, and is really quiet on the freeway. The engine is nice, refined. MPG's are pretty decent for such a huge vehicle- we get 22-23, pretty decent. Design wise, it works fine. I do wish the seat scoots back a little further, I'm only 5'10". At about 12K miles, the front rotors warped. The rear hatch started leaking, we couldn't figure out why the car stunk so bad. We needed a new battery at about 19K miles. Now, at 40K, the rear hatch is leaking again, the a/c needs recharge, the suspension groans. The transmission kind of slips and cant hold gears sometimes, and the starter needed replacement.

Favorite Features

Good durable interior. Easy to drive, good gas mileage. Overall it's a good van.

Suggested Improvements

Not so sure on long term reliability. Couple of windows are leaking water now, and the transmission acts weird sometimes. Interior could have nicer materials. We're not really confident on keeping it past warranty, as it's had more problems than our other company car, a 2003 Corolla.

Look elsewhere
By indiana

2006 Kia Sedona LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

Bought used w/25,000 miles it loves to ride on the back of a tow truck and has spent 1/4 of each year in the shop. Air bag sensors, accelerator pedal sticks, then it won't go at all brakes been replaced 2xs in 55,000 miles and need another set, tranny shifts poorly, battery goes bad, alternator, brake light sensor out and runs down battery. Change headlights and turn signals every 2 months, drinks power steering fluid, the dealership can never "duplicate" problems when car misbehaves, turn off call tow truck and have it towed, don't turn back on or they can't read the "code" and won't fix whatever is wrong. Electronic nightmare! I suggest you run quickly Toyota is worth the money

Favorite Features

roomy and engine has been great lots of pep

Suggested Improvements

electronic nightmare, lousy sound system, radio controls on steering wheel or have the controls closer to driver

UPSET Coustomer
By Upset Kia Owner

2006 Kia Sedona LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

I would tell anyone not to buy a KIA. I bought the van new and it has been in the shop more than it has been on the road. Brake problems, Belt tensioner, and MULTIPLE electrical problems. Turn signals work intermittently. Head lights keep blowing out. Air Bag Warning Light on more than itís off. Keyless remotes both failed. Heater fan quit working in the middle of a snow storm. Wipers quit working during a rain storm while driving down the road. I donít trust the thing to drive out of town. I canít trade the thing because the value has dropped to the point that now I'm upside down in value. This van was the worst new vehicle I've ever owned. Don't buy a Kia!

Favorite Features

Sliding door windows that roll down. I'll grant you that its got plenty of Power. When its out of the shop and I can drive it.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability!