2006 Kia Sedona LX Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Kia Sedona - Consumer Reviews

2006 Sedona Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sedona model:

Sort Reviews by

Run away as fast as you can
By 1soccermama

2006 Kia Sedona Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

Worse vehicle I've evered owned. After being stranded three times and towed to the dealer who couldn't find the issue while it was under warrenty, I finally took it to a local repair shop who found the 1K plus issue that I had to pay out of pocket. Called Kia and was basically told 'oh well'. Van felt cheap and made me question it's safety on a daily basis. It was a true lemon and after spending about 3K in less than a year, I was done. Bought myself a Dodge and I'm in love!

Favorite Features

None

Reliable soldier
By Laszlo Pocsi

2006 Kia Sedona Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

I owned my Sedona since new in 2006, has over 60k miles in it. Mine has been a trooper. It's a typical minivan - cavernous, comfortable, safe, practical. It is the top of the line model with leather, DVD player, back-up radar, etc. I towed heavy things with it, I packed it chock full of stuff and/or people many times, and it performed great. The safety rating is top-notch, which was a huge selling point for me. Gas mileage is not great by at around 17.3 mpg it's OK for a big vehicle. We had to replace the audio under warranty, one bulb went out in 6 years, other than just scheduled service. It's a bit noisier than I like, but I love it. Better yet, my kids love it. The power doors are great!

Favorite Features

Power doors, DVD player, back-up radar, top safety rating, comfortable and tough. Towed a mid-size car for 900 miles, towed a large pop-up camper with no problems.

Suggested Improvements

Should be a bit quieter on interstates, better gas mileage would be welcome, better acceleration too. Mine doesn't have an auxiliary audio port or USB connection or bluetooth, which are musts these days. Dash is ergonomic but could look better. Drop the manumatic function - I never use it.

Worst vehicle have ever owned!
By Ryan

2006 Kia Sedona Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

Have owned the vehicle for 5 years and have had nothing but problems for 4. Back up sensors constantly malfunctioning, tires shot after hardly any miles, doors freeze shut all winter, AC has gone out twice, bushings replaced twice, ignition issues, too many problems to list. Is in the shop at least every two months. Shop plugs it into the computer, doesn't show code and they can't replicate the problem.

Favorite Features

Favorite Features - Getting rid of it today at a loss. Bumper to bumper warranty is the only good thing with Kia. Trust me you need it.

Suggested Improvements

Don't know where to start. My suggestion to everyone, "DON'T BUY A KIA."

Sell it Quickly
By Nathan

2006 Kia Sedona Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

Horrible build quality. Just a short list of replacement items. Ecu x 2, throttle body x 3,3 fuse blocks, tpms system, wheels, rotors, brakes every 25k, door seals, had a misaligned panel that allowed water into rear of vehicle, dashboard replaced, o2 sensors x 2, sway bar, various suspension parts, 2 batteries, 17 headlights, 3 turn signal lights, 4 brake lights, 3 ac compressors. We had various misfire codes, abs system faults, steering faults-binding up steering, car sometimes would not start. Idle would vary between 600 and 1200 rpm, was told this is normal. Shifting was imprecise and started to flare. Gas mileage as low as 12 mpg then 17 mpg the next tank. Got rid of it.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Burn the factory down..

Finally Got Rid of It
By No Kia No More

2006 Kia Sedona Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased this car for a family of 5 in July 2006 from Central Kia in Dallas, TX. Over the course of the next 4 years it spent over 90 days in the shop on 56 appointments. We had a vast assortment of issues ranging from wheel replacements to ECU replacements. In between we had both O2 sensors replaced, 3 fuse blocks, Throttle body, several power packs, W/S washer pump, radio, sway bar and several cosmetic items replaced. Unreliability is the key for this vehicle. Even when it ran it felt like it was going to die at any minute. Ate tires like no tomorrow and was in general a very poor vehicle. We took it to 3 different dealers service departments for the work. DO NOT BUY A KIA, EVER!

Favorite Features

Interior stains easily as the fabric is cheap BUT it is nicely designed. Fold and Go rear seats are very nice.

Suggested Improvements

Shut down the factory and restart it again somewhere else. The reliability is spotty at best and done right dangerous at worst...

My Kia has gremlins
By Chris

2006 Kia Sedona Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

Here are some of the problems: Numerous things: AC does not blow cold continually and has been repaired several times Horn problems that have been fixed several times (Does not work properly when lock vehicle and it is to "chirp" when it locks). Also, security horn has had to be replaced Shifting / odd transmission type problem - the vehicle "bangs" when you come down a hill to a stop. Also, when slowing down to a stop light it actually has a surge or acceleration. Very scary and they say this is ok or they can not find a problem. Also as you are driving it accelerates or decelerates oddly. Brakes - vehicle only has 62,000 and have replaced brakes twice.

Suggested Improvements

See above. I think there are numerous items that should be considered for a recall.

Sorry we bought this beast
By erininohio

2006 Kia Sedona Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

Bought a new '06 in '07. Thought we were getting a deal.Buy van get RIO free.Still think there was something illegal about the paperwork,since we ended up with a loan on the "free" RIO.the van has not performed well at all. Headlights constantly going out.As soon as temp drops under 40 side doors freeze shut(dealership thinks I'm crazy)Third row seat keeps getting caught,have to use screwdriver to unstick it.Brakes and tires shot at 20000 miles. Alignment has never been right. Airbag had to be fixed. Light still comes on. Engine light on and off all the time. They say there is nothing wrong with it,but van keeps acting like it is going to die on the road.Value is next to nothing.

Favorite Features

Engine power when it runs right.

Suggested Improvements

MPG. Doors that don't freeze shut.Better headlights.Better brakes and tires. Overall a vehicle that is more reliable.

Problems getting more frequent.
By Van driver

2006 Kia Sedona Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

I've driven this van for our work the last four years. Good stuff first, this van rides really nice, and is really quiet on the freeway. The engine is nice, refined. MPG's are pretty decent for such a huge vehicle- we get 22-23, pretty decent. Design wise, it works fine. I do wish the seat scoots back a little further, I'm only 5'10". At about 12K miles, the front rotors warped. The rear hatch started leaking, we couldn't figure out why the car stunk so bad. We needed a new battery at about 19K miles. Now, at 40K, the rear hatch is leaking again, the a/c needs recharge, the suspension groans. The transmission kind of slips and cant hold gears sometimes, and the starter needed replacement.

Favorite Features

Good durable interior. Easy to drive, good gas mileage. Overall it's a good van.

Suggested Improvements

Not so sure on long term reliability. Couple of windows are leaking water now, and the transmission acts weird sometimes. Interior could have nicer materials. We're not really confident on keeping it past warranty, as it's had more problems than our other company car, a 2003 Corolla.

Look elsewhere
By indiana

2006 Kia Sedona Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

Bought used w/25,000 miles it loves to ride on the back of a tow truck and has spent 1/4 of each year in the shop. Air bag sensors, accelerator pedal sticks, then it won't go at all brakes been replaced 2xs in 55,000 miles and need another set, tranny shifts poorly, battery goes bad, alternator, brake light sensor out and runs down battery. Change headlights and turn signals every 2 months, drinks power steering fluid, the dealership can never "duplicate" problems when car misbehaves, turn off call tow truck and have it towed, don't turn back on or they can't read the "code" and won't fix whatever is wrong. Electronic nightmare! I suggest you run quickly Toyota is worth the money

Favorite Features

roomy and engine has been great lots of pep

Suggested Improvements

electronic nightmare, lousy sound system, radio controls on steering wheel or have the controls closer to driver

UPSET Coustomer
By Upset Kia Owner

2006 Kia Sedona Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

I would tell anyone not to buy a KIA. I bought the van new and it has been in the shop more than it has been on the road. Brake problems, Belt tensioner, and MULTIPLE electrical problems. Turn signals work intermittently. Head lights keep blowing out. Air Bag Warning Light on more than itís off. Keyless remotes both failed. Heater fan quit working in the middle of a snow storm. Wipers quit working during a rain storm while driving down the road. I donít trust the thing to drive out of town. I canít trade the thing because the value has dropped to the point that now I'm upside down in value. This van was the worst new vehicle I've ever owned. Don't buy a Kia!

Favorite Features

Sliding door windows that roll down. I'll grant you that its got plenty of Power. When its out of the shop and I can drive it.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability!