2006 Kia Sedona - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sedona model:
Reliable soldier
By Laszlo Pocsi on 10/06/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Kia Sedona EX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

I owned my Sedona since new in 2006, has over 60k miles in it. Mine has been a trooper. It's a typical minivan - cavernous, comfortable, safe, practical. It is the top of the line model with leather, DVD player, back-up radar, etc. I towed heavy things with it, I packed it chock full of stuff and/or people many times, and it performed great. The safety rating is top-notch, which was a huge selling point for me. Gas mileage is not great by at around 17.3 mpg it's OK for a big vehicle. We had to replace the audio under warranty, one bulb went out in 6 years, other than just scheduled service. It's a bit noisier than I like, but I love it. Better yet, my kids love it. The power doors are great!

Worst vehicle have ever owned!
By Ryan on 09/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Kia Sedona LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

Have owned the vehicle for 5 years and have had nothing but problems for 4. Back up sensors constantly malfunctioning, tires shot after hardly any miles, doors freeze shut all winter, AC has gone out twice, bushings replaced twice, ignition issues, too many problems to list. Is in the shop at least every two months. Shop plugs it into the computer, doesn't show code and they can't replicate the problem.

Sell it Quickly
By Nathan on 09/07/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Kia Sedona LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

Horrible build quality. Just a short list of replacement items. Ecu x 2, throttle body x 3,3 fuse blocks, tpms system, wheels, rotors, brakes every 25k, door seals, had a misaligned panel that allowed water into rear of vehicle, dashboard replaced, o2 sensors x 2, sway bar, various suspension parts, 2 batteries, 17 headlights, 3 turn signal lights, 4 brake lights, 3 ac compressors. We had various misfire codes, abs system faults, steering faults-binding up steering, car sometimes would not start. Idle would vary between 600 and 1200 rpm, was told this is normal. Shifting was imprecise and started to flare. Gas mileage as low as 12 mpg then 17 mpg the next tank. Got rid of it.

Finally Got Rid of It
By No Kia No More on 09/06/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Kia Sedona LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased this car for a family of 5 in July 2006 from Central Kia in Dallas, TX. Over the course of the next 4 years it spent over 90 days in the shop on 56 appointments. We had a vast assortment of issues ranging from wheel replacements to ECU replacements. In between we had both O2 sensors replaced, 3 fuse blocks, Throttle body, several power packs, W/S washer pump, radio, sway bar and several cosmetic items replaced. Unreliability is the key for this vehicle. Even when it ran it felt like it was going to die at any minute. Ate tires like no tomorrow and was in general a very poor vehicle. We took it to 3 different dealers service departments for the work. DO NOT BUY A KIA, EVER!

My Kia has gremlins
By Chris on 07/14/10 11:11 AM (PDT)

2006 Kia Sedona LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

Here are some of the problems: Numerous things: AC does not blow cold continually and has been repaired several times Horn problems that have been fixed several times (Does not work properly when lock vehicle and it is to "chirp" when it locks). Also, security horn has had to be replaced Shifting / odd transmission type problem - the vehicle "bangs" when you come down a hill to a stop. Also, when slowing down to a stop light it actually has a surge or acceleration. Very scary and they say this is ok or they can not find a problem. Also as you are driving it accelerates or decelerates oddly. Brakes - vehicle only has 62,000 and have replaced brakes twice.

Sorry we bought this beast
By erininohio on 06/23/10 08:07 AM (PDT)

2006 Kia Sedona LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

Bought a new '06 in '07. Thought we were getting a deal.Buy van get RIO free.Still think there was something illegal about the paperwork,since we ended up with a loan on the "free" RIO.the van has not performed well at all. Headlights constantly going out.As soon as temp drops under 40 side doors freeze shut(dealership thinks I'm crazy)Third row seat keeps getting caught,have to use screwdriver to unstick it.Brakes and tires shot at 20000 miles. Alignment has never been right. Airbag had to be fixed. Light still comes on. Engine light on and off all the time. They say there is nothing wrong with it,but van keeps acting like it is going to die on the road.Value is next to nothing.

Problems getting more frequent.
By Van driver on 06/20/10 10:04 AM (PDT)

2006 Kia Sedona LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

I've driven this van for our work the last four years. Good stuff first, this van rides really nice, and is really quiet on the freeway. The engine is nice, refined. MPG's are pretty decent for such a huge vehicle- we get 22-23, pretty decent. Design wise, it works fine. I do wish the seat scoots back a little further, I'm only 5'10". At about 12K miles, the front rotors warped. The rear hatch started leaking, we couldn't figure out why the car stunk so bad. We needed a new battery at about 19K miles. Now, at 40K, the rear hatch is leaking again, the a/c needs recharge, the suspension groans. The transmission kind of slips and cant hold gears sometimes, and the starter needed replacement.

Look elsewhere
By indiana on 06/13/10 18:17 PM (PDT)

2006 Kia Sedona LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

Bought used w/25,000 miles it loves to ride on the back of a tow truck and has spent 1/4 of each year in the shop. Air bag sensors, accelerator pedal sticks, then it won't go at all brakes been replaced 2xs in 55,000 miles and need another set, tranny shifts poorly, battery goes bad, alternator, brake light sensor out and runs down battery. Change headlights and turn signals every 2 months, drinks power steering fluid, the dealership can never "duplicate" problems when car misbehaves, turn off call tow truck and have it towed, don't turn back on or they can't read the "code" and won't fix whatever is wrong. Electronic nightmare! I suggest you run quickly Toyota is worth the money

UPSET Coustomer
By Upset Kia Owner on 05/28/10 14:59 PM (PDT)

2006 Kia Sedona LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

I would tell anyone not to buy a KIA. I bought the van new and it has been in the shop more than it has been on the road. Brake problems, Belt tensioner, and MULTIPLE electrical problems. Turn signals work intermittently. Head lights keep blowing out. Air Bag Warning Light on more than it’s off. Keyless remotes both failed. Heater fan quit working in the middle of a snow storm. Wipers quit working during a rain storm while driving down the road. I don’t trust the thing to drive out of town. I can’t trade the thing because the value has dropped to the point that now I'm upside down in value. This van was the worst new vehicle I've ever owned. Don't buy a Kia!

Love My Van, She part of the family
By Yogi & Mike Healy on 02/22/10 13:11 PM (PST)

2006 Kia Sedona EX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

I have enjoyed this van from day one. Bought it new,with under 10 miles on it.Have enjoyed every mile on it.She has all the power that my wife wants and needs,w/3.8 v6.I don't think that will we every trade her in. Everything has worked great. The Dealerships are becoming far and few.They have taken care of any small problem w/ no problem. One thing that needs to be address is lites front,fog they have gone out and can only be changed at the dealership? Why cause you have to take off the front bumper? That stinks. The Van drives so smooth has great pick up also drives like a sports car.I would buy another but only used as they do drop in value fast.Paid $29950 worth $8750 ouch :-(

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.