Used 2006 Kia Sedona LX Consumer Reviews - 69 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Kia Sedona - Consumer Reviews

2006 Kia Sedona

View reviews for a specific Sedona model:

Very good vehicle for its time and even today
By Alex G.

2006 Kia Sedona LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this minivan after having owned a 1994 Grand Caravan and then owned a 2001 Dodge Caravan. What attracted me to this van was value. At that time (10 years ago, in 2006) the Chrysler products offered only stow-and-go on the higher trim levels and captains chairs in the middle row, and rear air-conditioning and heat was not available in the base model. The Chrysler twins: Grand Caravan/Chrysler Town and Country, only offered the bigger engine (the 3.8 liter and later the 4.0 liter) on the upscale models with more options. The base engine (3.3 Liter at 185 HP pushing nearly 5,000 lbs) was sluggish and the base model had rear drum brakes and not disks. Also the car had a leaf spring rear suspension, not independent rear suspension. To move a 3.8 Liter engine, (at about 225 HP) and rear disk brakes, middle seat as a captain chairs and not a bench and a stow-and-go seating , instead of removing a very heavy rear back seat ) required going from $21k to $29k in the Dodge Caravan and to go to nearly $32k in the Chrysler Town and Country. A jump of $8k in price is very significant. So for me, I wanted to be in the low 20's in the purchase price, not mid 20's or low thirties . The Kia was available only in trim levels: EX and LX with all the same options, but basically the LX added power sliding doors, leather, and wood grain accents to HVAC area. So for around $21k for the Kia, you were getting rear-air and heat, and big engine, and better handling and power than the mid-to-higher priced Chrysler. You need to spend at least $10,000 more to get the same options from Chrysler. To me, it was a very good value.

After owning the car for 10 years, here's what is good about it and bad about it. On the plus side, the big 3.8 Liter engine puts out nearly 250 HP and this van, really moves. It's not a sports car, but for a mini-van, it has very good power. It's handling is very, very car like and you feel like you are basically driving a big car. It handles better than the Chrysler. The Dodge Caravan (Dodge is Chrysler) is basically a big box on wheels. After 5 or 6 years, you start hearing crackling and noise, but the Kia is still quiet inside the cabin at 10 years of age. I did basic oil changes and I changed the transmission fluid at 60k miles and again at 120k miles. There was an electrical harness problem, but the dealer fixed it under warranty. While under warranty, the repairs are none out of pocket. The repairs however cost a lot more money once the car ages. For example to do a simple tune up, because the car has a D.O.H.C wide engine, you need to take off the intake plenum to get to the rear spark plugs. The E.G.R system is expensive and very complex, with a lot of sensors. One annoying thing I found is that the steel cable under the car that lowers the spare tire is very, very hard to pull the spare tire up once the car is jacked up and you have a flat. The factory supplied jackstand is a joke, and do yourself a favor and buy yourself a hydraulically assisted jack stand that can lift a truck, because that's what you really have in terms of weight. The new Kia's don't even come with a spare tire! What a joke not to provide a spare tire! The cable that lower the spare tire snapped on 3 occasions in my case ($300 each time) and is a non-warranty item. i started carrying my spare in my trunk. If the cable snaps and the spare tire falls into the car behind you while at high way speed, this will kill the passengers in the car behind you on a highway. So the cable snapping that supports the spare tire is no joke. It may have never happened to others, but over 10 years it did happen to me. The car never overheated. Has proven to be very reliable overall. The car with good care can easily go past 150,000 miles. The cost to maintain is high once you get past the warranty stage. It doesn't have the transmission problems I had in the Dodge Caravan's I've owned. Those had reliable engines, but not so reliable transmissions, which both the 1994 and the 2001 I had required a rebuild (first one at 75,000 miles) and the second one at 90,000 miles). The Kia so far never missed a shift. I also like it's non-CVT transmission so many, many repair shops know how to deal with it if you do have a problem. The Dodge products required a new water pump in one case, at 65,000 miles. Not the Kia. I still have the original water pump. The engine is chain driven, not belt driven, another way to make sure you don't have the cost of replacing a timing belt.

So in sum, it's a great family car. It was a great value in its time relative what was available in 2006. I got a fully loaded minivan, for the price of the no-frills model in the Dodge Caravan. (I've owned two of them previously). The van had none of the problems of my previous Dodge Caravans: No transmission problem, water pump failure, or other super expensive repairs. The interior remains quiet and free of rattle and wind noise even 10 years later.Recommend.

I own an 06 sedona, would love to own a 15!
By taxilady7

2006 Kia Sedona LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

My red Sedona was purchased used with 60,000 miles and is used as a taxi! My customers love riding in it. The engine is so quiet. It now has 239,000 miles and is still running great! Did not do an tune up until 225,000 miles and of course kept all the other regular maintenance up, like oil, tires, etc... This one is an EX, biggest problems I am having now is the electric doors not working and can't find anyone out side the dealership to fix them! Other small stuff is headlights blow every 3 months, even replaced one whole light, sway bar links have to be replaced every year! Parts are hard to find and if you use the after market parts they don't last! Have to go online to find good parts!

Quiet engine, rides so smooth, last longer than any other van I have had, good deal for the value. Love the fold down back seats, they get moved a lot! Love the fold in side mirrors.

Lower prices for parts! Better manuals on how to fix or how to diagnose the problems with the electric sliding doors! I cannot afford the jacked up prices the dealers give you! Make the sway bars stronger and longer lasting head light blubs.

The suckish minivan
By syopot2004

2006 Kia Sedona LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this van in 2006, and after that I have brought this van to the service center for a thousand times already. Under chassis failed already, ball joint, tie rod end and so many to mention. During that time I had only 30,000 miles with
the odometer. At 40,000 miles the oil seal failed (so many to mention). Now at 50,000 miles coolant leak. Keep it coming Kia.

NONE

Please KIA motors never sell your cars here in USA, your product is so weak. Just stay in Korea where you belong. To all the people who is planning to buy this korean made car "DO NOT BUY THIS PLEASE STAY WITH JAPANESE".

Got what I paid for
By meare1

2006 Kia Sedona LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

Used to have a Dodge Caravan, compared to that JUNK, this Kia is MUCH better. Yes, it has had the trips to the dealer, (2) for warranty related work, but compared to the NON-warranty trips I had with the Dodge, I would NEVER buy Mopar AGAIN!!
Not a bad van for the money. I bought it used with 24k and have since gone past the warranty and just bought new tires for it.

This van smokes!! It has power! Great for merging or embarassing people who think that since it is a mini-van it is slow... The interior is comfortable, nothing fancy but adequate and I think it looks better than every other mini-van in style. The quality is there.

better gas mileage!!

I have 2 Kia's and LOVE them
By mom_of_two

2006 Kia Sedona LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

We first purchased a 2006 Kia Optima LX (brand new and still own) when we had our first child. Then we purchased our 2006 Kia Sedona LX (used - 5yrs old) when we had our second child.
I love both of my Kia's.
Sure I have had some issues, like the Air Bag light and Check Engine light - but no car is perfect.
Even if you own a BMW or MB, there are still issues!

I will forever drive a KIA
: )