2005 Kia Sedona Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sedona model:
She's My Work Horse
By yankeegirl89 on 08/13/13 11:11 AM (PDT)

2005 Kia Sedona Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This Van Currently has 123,000+ miles on it and counting, we've used it to haul all my kids to their games and meets, move their stuff to their college dorms and apartments. We have moved furniture, appliances, taken trips, been all over in it, she's been old reliable. Haven't had any problems with this van, I would buy another one were it not for the fact that in another year I wont need to be moving anymore kids and I can downsize again finally.

Never again
By kitcar04 on 07/25/13 05:24 AM (PDT)

2005 Kia Sedona Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought brand new didn't matter the problems began at the very start with brake problems and went on from there...Problems made worst by the worst customer service I've ever experienced. With thousands of dollars spent and car still stalling we were done. You want a reliable car get a Honda. That's what we drive. Excellent customer service every time.

Good van
By busmunoz on 04/25/13 19:13 PM (PDT)

2005 Kia Sedona Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the van used in 2009, and other than the required maintenance I never had to fix a thing. I love this van. I put about 75,000 miles on it and it is more reliable than any new car I ever bought.

Bought New in January 2005
By socaldave on 02/04/13 23:00 PM (PST)

2005 Kia Sedona Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the van fully loaded: leather, DVD, ABS, moonroof, etc. Comparatively equipped mini-vans were much more expensive. Currently has about 58k miles after 8 years. The brakes went out by 20k miles and the ABS never seemed to work right. Replaced tires with Hankook (factory) tires the first couple of times. The inner walls on the front tires kept wearing out. Went with Michelins the last time and they seem to be working better. Haven't had any major problems but looking at around $900 for timing belt replacement at 60k miles. Also, spark plugs are very difficult to change out. I average about 13 mpg city and 20 freeway. Paint is fading. Mirrors and bumpers are first to go.

This thing won't die!
By eagleboyrox on 07/09/12 06:52 AM (PDT)

2005 Kia Sedona Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have an 05 Sedona and this van is surprisingly the most reliable van I have ever seen. Kia's cars are crap but this van has 306,234 miles on it right now and still runs like the day it came off the showroom floor. The engine is so quiet you can't hear it run and the transmission still shifts like it should. I love the room inside and the seats are easy to remove. I've even hauled my jetski in it a few times! I keep the oil changed with 10 w30 Mobil 1 synthetic. That may also account for the great gas mileage I get in this van. It only uses a quarter tank up and back from my house to my mother's house which is about 80 miles away as long as you keep the mph fairly steady. Keep that in mind.

piece of junk
By opencarry on 02/15/12 22:34 PM (PST)

2005 Kia Sedona Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought it in 08 with 15k on the odometer.... 3-4 sets of brake pads pr year, Throttle positioning sensor replaced, Camshaft positionong sensor replaced, power steering pump dissintegrated, ac compressor..shot, timing belt, L front strut..toast, unable to maintain allignment, 5 sets of tires up front, gas mileage sux!!! 13mpg - 18mpg., underpowered, delayed gear shifting, 4 sets of headlights, power seats malfunction, front bearings, seizure of R front wheel. Aaand regular maintenance costs. We are a fam of 7. demand are high but the vehicle has been maintained. All was well untill 75k. After that, should have dumped it.... never again.

Did I mention...
By beamin2 on 11/25/11 01:08 AM (PST)

2005 Kia Sedona Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I had a BMW 5-series when I first got this van to drive my kids around. They (I have 3) were getting into fights in the BMW. This van solved the problem, with captains chairs in the 'middle' and the third row in the back. Two years later, the BMW is gone, since I was never driving it. Either I had the kids, or was parking in a garage, or the weather was bad.... pretty soon, I was driving the van all the time.... ;)

Great value for money
By beamin2 on 11/25/11 00:55 AM (PST)

2005 Kia Sedona Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this van in 2009 with 64k+ miles on it, for less than $7k. Have put on 25k miles in the last two years. I have probably spent $3k in repairs on it (struts, an airbag sensor, brake pads, regular service), but even for $10k its been a great value. And edmunds still values at 6k. :) Beats not having a car payment, and not afraid to get some beach sand in it!

Piece o'crap
By mvrab on 06/23/11 16:15 PM (PDT)

2005 Kia Sedona Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Two failed power seat switches. Cheap Paint. Rattles till your teeth fall out. The Chevy Vega of the minivan world. Steering wheel placement requires either you have 2' long legs or 5' long arms...zero ergonomics...rather negative zero ergonomics. Geez, I'm 5'11"...pretty average for the US.

Love this van!!
By josephina1000 on 01/31/11 14:29 PM (PST)

2005 Kia Sedona Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this van brand new back in January 2005. We had it for 6 whole years now. Never had 1 problems w/ it. We drove it all the way from Calif to Florida and back. Dragged a tent trailer and regular trailer w/ it quite often. It has totally held up really well. We maintained it and took care of it. It was the best van we ever had. We are now looking into trading it in for a newer model. We highly recommend this mini van.