Used 2004 Kia Sedona Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Kia Sedona - Consumer Reviews

2004 Kia Sedona Minivan

View reviews for a specific Sedona model:

It wouldn't die!
By therangerman

2004 Kia Sedona Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Living in Canada, our winters are hard on cars. This van would not die! I bought this van with 250,000km on it and I ran it until 450,000km it was still running strong but I hit a moose going 110km an hour and it destroyed the van. Every year we would haul a 4500pound trailer all the way around Ontario and it never really hurt the van. Even though every year the rear heater lines would rot out there was nothing really done other than regular maintenance. The a/c stopped working after hitting my second deer. But other than those things you could run this van through hell and it wouldn't even get a scratch I even took it muding once. good job Kia you built a bullet proof tank

Favorite Features

The engine has amazing power and response . It gets better fuel economy than my 3.0L ranger. Engine suspension and transmission can take a good beating the thing is bullet proof

Suggested Improvements

Make a truck that's bullet proof like this Kia!

We put A LOT of miles on this van!
By rockscryout

2004 Kia Sedona Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Over 180,000 miles on this van and still going. I keep changing the oil and it keeps going! I've had to replace the water pump twice and the coil packs went out so we replaced those. Air conditioner worked well up 'til last summer. The suspension doesn't seem to be that great and I haven't sprung to replace the struts although the van needs it-- but really, how many more miles am I going to be able to put on it? I'm really happy with it over all.

Favorite Features

The V6 gives it plenty of power. Cruise control is awesome. Cargo lights in the back are nice. Really like the removable seats.

Suggested Improvements

Make it easier to change the head lamps!!! What a pain!

Kia driven for 133,000
By russ75

2004 Kia Sedona Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Kia new in 2004 and have riven it for over 133,000 miles. Overall the car has performed well without unreasonable mechanical problems; except, the lines for the rear heater have rusted out twice. The first time I paid over $600 to replace them and Kia just said, "Gee, I am sorry to hear you had that problem." Reviews that criticize Kia for not doing something better for their customers are correct. Also the rear window defrost has failed. I have not experienced any problem with rust on my Kia and I live in Michigan. As my car has aged, in the recent months it has experienced a series of problems; for which I am considering replacing it. Everything gets old eventually.

Favorite Features

The four back seats are removable; which creates a lot of room for hauling things. I like the general lay out of the interior and the way space is used in the van. The feature for being able to program in the automatic garage door is good. Sunroof.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the lines going to the back heater. Also the lettering on many of the buttons (cruise, AC, Heater) have worn off. This should not happen. (cheap I guess) Almost forgot --the radio/cd has a tendency to jam and completely quit working. Fortunately Kia supplied us with a yellow tab for pulling the fuse under the hood which fixes the problem. (Obviously they knew it was a problem and they chose the work around rather then to fix it.) Better radio/ CD

Still going strong at 120,000 miles.
By frugal_driver

2004 Kia Sedona Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have previously posted here as FRUGAL DRIVER (see below). This van, bought in 07 with 64K, is still going strong as a half ton hauler and work van. Today its going 750 miles (and back in three days) in my wife's hands to take KID MARK I to university for the first time. Had a/c fixed--damage inflicted on a hose by an idiot. Now that the OBAMA CAFE rules have effectively removed small pickups (Chev 10, Ford Ranger) & the old vans (ASTRO etc) from the US market, what are you doing to drive? This van will haul a half ton well. It takes abuse if you maintain it well. Drive it gently. This vehicle was originally built as a light truck for the S. Korean Army (02-06 model). Its tuff.

Favorite Features

Body on frame chassis. Rated to carry 1157 lbs, and tow 3500lbs. Tranny cooler. Fridid A/c. 8 inch clearance. TWO side doors (one more than an old ASTRO) and rear hatch. Will take 48" stock, 8' - 12' lumber. Low insurance cost--solid, like the 1970's BENZ. DO: (1) check tire pressures frequently to ensure 15 mpg (local); 20 mpg highway. Gas consumption rises quickly if you don't. DO: (2) read my previous posts on keeping the maintenance cost to a pittance. DO: (3) AVOID the dealers except for OEM tranny fluid. DO (4) perform regular maintenance (all fluids) regularly. DO (5) use full synthetic oils at the correct viscosity, OEM tranny fluid, top rated tires w/full size spare.

Suggested Improvements

RADIO / CD player has controls that only a double jointed chimpanzee would enjoy using. SWAP OUT or keep it on one station. SPEAKERS (six) are worth keeping. No need to replace. Like all cars with electronic windows, the driver's side breaks first....rain guards recommended if you want to have the window open a crack and stay dry inside. Lots of plastic parts on lights and inside which crack in time. Keep the pieces and the glue bottle handy. WATCH OUT FOR THE REAR BLIND SPOTS or get a rear view camera. I had a FULL SIZE TREE actually MOVE ON ME, TWICE at my house of worship. Same thing happened with a mail box.

Where do I start?
By shamgar

2004 Kia Sedona Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I am always amazed to see newer Sedonas on the road. I can't understand why anyone would buy one of them anymore. My car had so many problems during the warranty that I was one of 10 people across the U. S. to participate in a J.D. Powers interview at my local Kia dealership. Several engineers from Korea were there also to examine my car along with J.D. Powers staff. The whole thing was taped for whatever reason. Front brakes including the rotors have to be replaced every 20K. Front tires and struts, and engine mounts, ditto. Horn was replaced at least six times. A/C proportioning valve had to be replaced. Rear deck lid struts went out quickly.

Favorite Features

Car was very cheap. I also get a little better mileage than some at 17 city and 25 hwy.

Suggested Improvements

Now that the car is out of warranty, the engine is using oil and there are no significant leaks. So an engine overhaul is in the offing. My suggested improvement is buy elsewhere.