2004 Kia Sedona - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sedona model:
It wouldn't die!
By therangerman on 08/18/14 17:57 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Sedona LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Living in Canada, our winters are hard on cars. This van would not die! I bought this van with 250,000km on it and I ran it until 450,000km it was still running strong but I hit a moose going 110km an hour and it destroyed the van. Every year we would haul a 4500pound trailer all the way around Ontario and it never really hurt the van. Even though every year the rear heater lines would rot out there was nothing really done other than regular maintenance. The a/c stopped working after hitting my second deer. But other than those things you could run this van through hell and it wouldn't even get a scratch I even took it muding once. good job Kia you built a bullet proof tank

We put A LOT of miles on this van!
By rockscryout on 01/06/14 17:28 PM (PST)

2004 Kia Sedona LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Over 180,000 miles on this van and still going. I keep changing the oil and it keeps going! I've had to replace the water pump twice and the coil packs went out so we replaced those. Air conditioner worked well up 'til last summer. The suspension doesn't seem to be that great and I haven't sprung to replace the struts although the van needs it-- but really, how many more miles am I going to be able to put on it? I'm really happy with it over all.

Kia driven for 133,000
By russ75 on 06/26/13 19:56 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Sedona EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Kia new in 2004 and have riven it for over 133,000 miles. Overall the car has performed well without unreasonable mechanical problems; except, the lines for the rear heater have rusted out twice. The first time I paid over $600 to replace them and Kia just said, "Gee, I am sorry to hear you had that problem." Reviews that criticize Kia for not doing something better for their customers are correct. Also the rear window defrost has failed. I have not experienced any problem with rust on my Kia and I live in Michigan. As my car has aged, in the recent months it has experienced a series of problems; for which I am considering replacing it. Everything gets old eventually.

Still going strong at 120,000 miles.
By frugal_driver on 08/28/12 13:28 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Sedona EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have previously posted here as FRUGAL DRIVER (see below). This van, bought in 07 with 64K, is still going strong as a half ton hauler and work van. Today its going 750 miles (and back in three days) in my wife's hands to take KID MARK I to university for the first time. Had a/c fixed--damage inflicted on a hose by an idiot. Now that the OBAMA CAFE rules have effectively removed small pickups (Chev 10, Ford Ranger) & the old vans (ASTRO etc) from the US market, what are you doing to drive? This van will haul a half ton well. It takes abuse if you maintain it well. Drive it gently. This vehicle was originally built as a light truck for the S. Korean Army (02-06 model). Its tuff.

Where do I start?
By shamgar on 09/21/11 22:24 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Sedona LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I am always amazed to see newer Sedonas on the road. I can't understand why anyone would buy one of them anymore. My car had so many problems during the warranty that I was one of 10 people across the U. S. to participate in a J.D. Powers interview at my local Kia dealership. Several engineers from Korea were there also to examine my car along with J.D. Powers staff. The whole thing was taped for whatever reason. Front brakes including the rotors have to be replaced every 20K. Front tires and struts, and engine mounts, ditto. Horn was replaced at least six times. A/C proportioning valve had to be replaced. Rear deck lid struts went out quickly.

Best low cost to maintain & value mini-van I ever had!
By sushiray on 07/26/11 15:43 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Sedona EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Had a 2004 EX till recently it was totaled in a rear end collision. Gr8 ride, gr8 comfort, gr8 entertainment system, gr8 value! Front wheel drive makes all the difference, plenty of room for carting kids or Home Depot supplies. Gr8 acceleration & driving stability. Only knock is the gas mileage was not very good but I changed my driving technique & went from 16mpg to almost 20 (19.8)mpg!

Not bad but ages prematurely
By soccerdad on 10/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Kia Sedona LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought new from dealer end of '03. This minivan has plenty of power and ample passenger room. However, cargo space is very limited. Ran flawlessly the first 1.5 years, then brakes began to squeal. We replaced the brakes on warranty twice in the first 50K miles, a bit undersized for weight of the vehicle, maybe? Also replaced wheel bearings, again on warranty. The Kia dealership where we bought and service the car is tops, but I wish we didn't have to spend so much time visiting with them on warranty issues. Now the engine sounds like it's getting tired. We're Trading it in this weekend (probably not another Kia) before it gives up the ghost for good.

Update to review of 07/11/2009
By Frugal Driver on 10/11/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Kia Sedona LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Still very happy with vehicle. TIRES: OEM spec. 215/70/15 with a passenger grade is rubbish. Upgrade to 225/70/15 in a light truck/SUV tire. Currently using Michelin LTS MS. Ride quality and rubber longevity greatly improved! Transmission: buy dealer fluid for this van, have independent change it. This vehicle has a tranny cooler, so if you are hauling in hot weather, you are fine. Gas mileage: 14/16 city, 20-24 highway. That including towing 3500 lbs (as rated) and carrying weight.

What a mess
By sburdick163 on 09/01/10 18:39 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Sedona LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I was told by the sales person that my van had the highest safety rating; don't believe it. I had to replace the wheel bearings and brakes. all the steel cooling lines rusted. it overheats for no reason. The steel lines coming from the radiator rusted. The blue book is low; I can't get financing for another vehicle because of low trade-in value.

Junk
By Junk on 06/11/10 07:45 AM (PDT)

2004 Kia Sedona EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the vehicle because I was told they are a great buy for the price. Nothing but problems with the piece of junk since. Had to change the power steering pump, always needs an alignment, unknown overheating problem. This overheats when it wants to with no explanation for it. Changed thermostat, radiator lines, water pump and fluid. Still over heats when it wants. Now it needs new struts and what they call a transmission but really is a trans axle. Was told it was like putting a snow blower tranny into a van. Lots of rust around the rear hatch handle. Motor is very loud. Overall, just a huge piece of junk. Do not buy in my opinion. Will never recommend a Kia to anyone.