Do NOT buy a KIA !
By williamsabode on
2002 Kia Sedona EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)
I would like to know who writes these reviews. As I said, Do Not buy a Kia. You will probably need every little bit of the so called associated warranty as there is not much on these sedonas that you won't have problems with. Hey I'm not banging on the Sedona just to be contrary but you will have nothing but problems with these things. There is not enough space here to list them all but just so you know what we dealt with from the get go has been; rotors, doors (Front, Back & sliding), engine, alternator, heater control, brakes, electrical, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc....... you name it. Please talk to someone who has owned one (at least a yr) long enough to know something. Wish I had !
By mr_monza
on 12/24/11 11:46 AM (PST)

Presumably, the people writing these reviews own the vehicles or have owned them----so collectively, by reading through a large number of the reviews, we can gain a consensus opinion of each respective vehicle. You had a bad experience. It's understandable that you'd write a very negative review. But I don't think one person having one bad ownership experience qualifies to give advice such as "Do not buy a Kia." I'm willing to bet that I can find owners of every make and model of car who have gotten a lemon. Fact is, your experience is not uncommon---if you go to Consumer Reports, you'll see that the Sedona is not a highly rated model. But likewise, you'll find that Jaguars, Mercedes, Audis and many domestics from the early 2000s are rated in the same ball park as the Sedona---and they cost many thousands more. My own opinion is to evaluate the specific used car you are considering carefully----crawl under it and look for fluid leaks. Check the colors of the fluids (especially the transmission fluid, which should at least have a nice red tinge to it). Take a test drive and see if it feels and sounds solid. Right now, the Sedonas, well equipped, are going for thousands less than similar minivans from Honda and Toyota. You can buy a newer and lower mileage Sedona, with more features---and have some money leftover for repairs if you are unlucky. I would also strongly consider the Mazda MPV if you can live with a smaller sized hauler.

By peter_h_chen
on 11/28/11 13:44 PM (PST)

I own a 2002 Sedona EX since it was new. Yes, I had to replace the brake rotor under warranty once, but I had to do that on my Civic as well. Overall, I would say the car is not that bad. It was old tech, but solidly built. My only problem is with the dealership. Services is substantially worse compare to Honda or Toyota, not to even mention about Infiniti or Mini.