2008 Kia Rondo Consumer Review: $2,000 A/C repair @ 45k

2008 Kia Rondo - Consumer Review

LX Wagon (2.7L V6 5-speed Automatic)

$2,000 A/C repair @ 45k
By anjay on

2008 Kia Rondo LX 4dr Wagon (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

Background: I bought the car off-lease in May '09 with 16k on the odometer. With the exception of so-so gas mileage, I though I'd scored an excellent deal. Then, in 2012, just after the 5-year warranty expired, I learned from my [very reliable] auto tech that the A/C compressor clutch had failed and would cost $2,000 to repair. This is a huge cash outlay for a relatively young vehicle w/ just over 45k. I'm embarrassed to tell anyone b/c I've been hyping the Rondo as a great value for four years. I won't be doing that any more.

Great functionality. I can haul all kinds of things around in the roomy interior. Lots of glass with great view and sightlines. Easy access for kids and oldsters. Comfy interior.

A/C worked well -- until it failed and I got a repair estimate for $2,000. That amount happened to be what I owed on the car.
By ronf57
on 07/26/14 11:45 AM (PDT)

I had a similar experience with my 2008 Kia Sorento A/C went just under 60,000 miles while driving from ohio to Alabama and I couldn't get into the dealership until it had 61,000 miles on it. it should have been covered by the warrantee but I had to pay to fix it out of my pocket because it was over 60,000 miles when Kia saw it had failed. I lost respect for the Kia's warrantee that day.