Used 2013 Kia Rio Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 9 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Kia Rio Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rio model:

Great Little Car
By Dan Ferguson

2013 Kia Rio Hatchback LX 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

I love this car. My wife and I bought it about 1 year ago used and it has not given us any trouble. Had 21000 K miles on it when we bought it and we've now got 37000 K miles now. Will be giving this to our daughter, though as she just finished med school and needs a reliable little car where she lives. Shipping it to her today. Got the LX package and it didn't have a few items that I added. For one thing, it had no cruise control, but there's an OEM change that you can do through your steering wheel to add it. Works like a charm. Would not hesitate to buy again.

Very Happy So Far
By gmmcnair

2013 Kia Rio Hatchback LX 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my Rio LX hatchback a little over a month ago. I have the 6 speed automatic, and just about nothing else as far as extras. I am not into fluff on cars, but this one is nicely equipped and has all the amenities that one needs in a basic daily driver.

The little 1.6 liter engine is spirited off the line (slows down a little bit after that), and gives me decent numbers. I drive in a lot of heavy, stop and start, traffic, and I get about 26-28 mpg overall. Highway mileage hovers around 40....this is without the active ECO button engaged (turns the car into a slug).

Nicely equipped, even in the basic model. Base model radio has ipod connectivity. Ride is firm in base model but not harsh. Nimble handling. 6 speed automatic is very smooth and well mated to the engine. Quieter than many small cars. Controls are nicely laid out and interior is attractive. Actually feels like a larger car than it is.

Small rear window on hatchback, rear headrests, and pillars cause blind spots (look CAREFULLY when changing lanes).

ALOT of bang for the Buck !
By callmedave1

2013 Kia Rio Hatchback LX 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

I was out the door at $15,250 with my new Rio. An exceptional deal .

Car has 3,000 miles on it and I love it.
Best to use NON-ethanol gasoline as the engine works better and youll pick up a couple more MPG.
I get 33 MPG combined driving .
Car is very comfortable for my 6'3" big frame.
I swapped out the steering wheel so now I have cruise control which is a must for me.
Color is red and it looks clean even when you haven't washed it in weeks.
Very pleased I got this over the Nissan Versa with the lower warranty.

The 6 speed auto trans. really drops the RPM's at high speed (80 MPH @ 2,500 RPM's) . Great audio system . Very comfortable front seats. Enough room in the trunk.

The auto trans shift points need to be higher than what they are so it doesn't labor at lower speeds. 6th gear needs to drop the RPMS even lower for increased hwy. MPG . Needs a center console arm rest even if it tacks on another $20 to the price.

No complaints whatsoever...
By csandste

2013 Kia Rio Hatchback EX 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

Very comfortable for a subcompact, seems like a larger car.
Actually seems to have more front seat room than my 07 Optima.

Excellent fit and finish. Stock Kumho tires get lots of hate on Tire Rack, but I have no complaints on noise or handling after 18,000 miles.
Averaging 29.57 mpg, can't complain about that.

This is an EX hatch in dark sapphire, a color that's not supposed to exist on this model.
Backup camera comes in very handy because rear window and c pillar restrict view.
I would recommend spending the extra money over the LX, the electronics folding rear view mirrors, etc. are worth the extra $$$.

audio system enhancements (sound only fair) bluetooth backup camera folding heated mirrors six speed automatic lots of airbags

make manual transmission available on all models. heat gauge would make me feel safer

2013 Kia Rio5 EX
By wjaamod

2013 Kia Rio Hatchback EX 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my Rio with 73 miles on it. I've only had it for about 2 weeks, but so far I'm loving it. The Eco feature is hard to get used to, but it's a really neat thing once you're accustomed to it. It's got a good amount of pep to it, actually. I love how spacious it is inside. I'm over 6 feet tall, and I can sit in the backseat (and front) very comfortably. The little features like the folding side mirrors are great. The inside and outside don't feel cheaply made at all. I am thoroughly impressed with Kia's work on this one.

Power folding side mirrors Eco- car actually shuts off at red lights, etc. Uvo Auto Stick (manual override) Back up camera (reallllly helps with parallel parking!) Lots of knobs on the steering wheel. Like it.

I wish the EX had a moonroof. I'd like the SX, but I really am a fan of the Eco feature. I also wish that the side folding mirrors would unfold when you put the car into drive. (sometimes I forget to hit the button to unfold)