KIA RIO PINGING BAD?USE PREMIUM GAS --ECO MODE OFF!
By worknman on
2012 Kia Rio EX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 6A)
Our Kia developed a severe pinging issue running regular gas especially with the ECO mode on. The Kia Forum website states that Kia is running a series of ecm ( engine control computer ) software patches to solve this issue. Many people on that forum have had the patches done and these patches have largely only helped for a few weeks before the bad pinging came back. I finally decided that I didn't want to destroy my engine no matter how 'great' the Kia warranty supposedly is. I started using PREMIUM - NAME BRAND GAS AND TURNED THE ECO MODE OFF. After four gas tanks full of this, our Kia is running and shifting better and smoother then it ever did new. more below-
Favorite Features
This tells me that our little Kia Rio 5 was never designed to use regular gas. I STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU RUN BRAND NAME PREMIUM GAS WITH THE ECO MODE OFF AT ALL TIMES IF YOUR MOTOR STARTS TO PING. You can still use the cruise control set points I mentioned in my review below to save some gas but LEAVE THE ECO MODE OFF AND USE PREMIUM GAS ONLY. Our Kia(64000 miles) is still a beautiful, well built car. A new set of Continental Eco Contact tires inflated to 40 psi cold and our Kia is also much safer in the rain and snow as well. You cannot believe the difference five tanks of name brand premium gas with the eco mode off will make in how this car runs. more below-
Suggested Improvements
The gas mileage will not improve unless you keep your foot out of it. We need it to last at least two hundred thousand miles. Now, filling it with name brand premium gas, with the eco mode off and using Kia maintenance parts ( air, cabin, oil filters and bolt washers) I buy at the dealership, this Kia should go that far with ease. I am just glad that we have the last bit of information we need to get this car to two hundred thousand miles. It won't be cheap but it will be much cheaper then numerous wasted trips to the Kia dealership and possibly burning the valves out of the motor using regular gas. I hope this new info helps. God Bless You All.