High MPG Driving Method-2012 Kia Rio 5 EX
By worknman on
2012 Kia Rio EX 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6A)
1.TURN ECO BUTTON ON AND LEAVE IT ON---2.PUSH THE GAS PEDAL SLOWLY-sudden pushing of the gas pedal turns off the ECO software and it stays off for minutes---3.when driving through the throttle dead spot from 20 to 40 miles per hour-PUSH THE THROTTLE DOWN SLOWLY UNTIL THE TRANSMISSION DOWNSHIFTS-then simply hold that throttle position-let the transmission pull the car up the hill---4.USE THE CRUISE CONTROL AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE-the Kia C-C is excellent but you must set it right to get the most out of it---USE THE 2 AND 7 RULE-always set your cruise control at mph numbers that end in a 2 or a 7-NEVER 0 OR 5!---5.your best highway mpg will happen at 62 MPH SET ON CRUISE CONTROL-SEE FAV-FEATURES
Favorite Features
6.HERE ARE YOUR CRUISE CONTROL MPH SET POINTS-22-27-32-37-42---47 (my favorite)---52-57---62 (my highway top dog mpg number)---67 (my late for work still good mpg number)---72-77 (watch the mpg tumble)---7.I use more psi cold then Kia recommends in my tires-40 psi cold-I've used higher psi cold numbers in my tires for thirty years with no issues-just lower them slightly when winter comes-car drives sharper,and rolls on better too,tires seem to last longer as well-you are soley respondsible if you decide to use this tip-NOT KIA.KUMHO OR ME-note-wet traction will be slightly less but you will feel that through the steering wheel much better and sooner too. SEE SUGGESTED IMPROVEMENTS
Suggested Improvements
8.USE THE AVERAGE MPH DISPLAY ON YOUR SPEEDOMETER-press miles A-then miles B-then range-then AVG MPG-you can then watch the mileage go up or down as an avg to see if your driving is hurting you mileage.---9.Travel as light as you can and make sure when you change your oil that when it becomes necessary you change that air filter-a dirty air filter will kill your mileage.---9.The cruise control will never turn off the ECO setting UNLIKE YOUR FOOT-USE THE CRUISE CONTROL.-----Doing all of this I am averaging 37 to 41.5 miles per gallon in my Kia-I am much happier with the car now.Yes,I stay in the right lane but I am using much less gas now.Kia built a great car and I can afford to keep it now.
By bjsurf
on 04/06/14 14:34 PM (PDT)

Thanks for the indepth review! I'm researching the Rio5 currently and your words said alot.

By worknman
on 03/18/14 23:49 PM (PDT)

UPDATE-If your Kia Rio 5 develops serious engine pinging using regular gas ( like ours did) you should stop using regular gas and start using name brand premium gas. You will also have to turn off the eco mode too. If you do turn off the eco mode and fill your Kia Rio 5 with at least five tanks of name brand premium gas-you will be in shock at just how smoother and better your Kia runs, shifts and climbs hills too. I think this Kia Rio was never supposed to run regular gas. You can still use the cruise control settings to save gas-just stop putting regular gas in your Kia and turn off that ECO mode. I hope the pinging never gets to you but if it does-this should stop it without begging a dealership to fix what they know they can't fix anyway.

By worknman
on 03/20/14 19:54 PM (PDT)

UPDATE: If your Kia Rio starts to experience engine pinging other wise known as engine knock-you must start using BRAND NAME PREMIUM GAS IN THE CAR AND TURN OFF THE ECO MODE PERMANENTLY. At 57000 miles ,our Kia started with the dreaded pinging and after taking our car to the dealership once for spark plugs to try and stop the pinging I simply decided enough is enough-I turned off the eco mode and decide that from now one I would only run name brand premium gas in our Kia Rio. It took five tank fulls in a row to get the car to readjust it self fully to the premium gas and no eco mode on but -WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Well, the car has totally changed in the way the throttle now responds to the smallest inputs, the way the transmission shifts super smooth now and the myriad of strange surges and odd dead spots in the throttle have simply disappeared. Our Kia Rio 5 now drives like the world class car it was designed to be. It is very clear to me that our Kia needed to filled with premium gas all along and that the eco mode, while supposedly saving gas takes so much away from the driving experience of the car, it's not worth the hassle. Turn OFF THAT ECO MODE FOREVER AND START USING NAME BRAND PREMIUM GAS IN YOUR KIA RIO. After five tanks, you'll know it is well worth the small extra cost.