2012 Kia Rio Consumer Review: Fun to drive, good MPG, Inexpe

2012 Kia Rio - Consumer Review

EX Sedan (1.6L 4-cyl. 6-speed Automatic)

Fun to drive, good MPG, Inexpensive
By shawnmh on

2012 Kia Rio EX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car new to replace my 91' Imperial and I'm averaging 33 (70%/30% C/H) mpg at the pump and I'm loving it. Although the ride isn't the smoothest, it's definitely better than many others I've driven in this class. When you turn the ECO setting off, you get a significant boost in power and throttle response. Handles great in the city, but acts like a small car would on the interstate. I love the SportShift, although not the quickest shifts, it is a blast through curvy roads. The high beams illuminate very well as do the regular lights. Steering has good feel and the car is very nimble up to about 45 when the electric steering starts to show. Design cues from Audi shows.

Power windows are nice and one touch up/down drivers is quite a convenience. Remote works well, you just have to let the remote get broken in so press firmly until then. Power folding mirrors haven't been needed but very useful. Rearview camera works well but when backing up at night, ride the brakes. You'll need the extra light from the brake lights to see behind you. Sporty and fun engine and transmission. My original choice was the Mazda 2 until I drove this. Its less expensive, better quality, better upgrades, faster, and just as much fun to drive! NO REGRETS!! Test drive all you want, this IS the best deal out there, all discounts aside, or included.

Although I can get 4 200 lb men up to 6 feet tall in this car, and it doesn't slow down much, you may want to open a window. It can get loud quickly. If your just looking for a commuter or starter car this is a great way to go. I financed by my self with nothing down and got the payments where I was comfortable. While the seats are comfortable and supportive, they can seem more firm than usual when you spend more than a half hour on the interstate. The UVO system could be faster during start up, and would be nice if it worked better with the iPod cable you have for your device (which is recommended from the Man. for use). I get a good bit of interference. Bluetooth it if you can.