Terrible Gas Mileage in a Well Built Car
By worknman on
2012 Kia Rio EX 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6A)
In Dec 2011,my wife and I bought a brand new Kia Rio 5Dr Ex in red. The people at the Kia dealership were great and practically one of the only reasons we bought the car when we did besides the supposedly excellent gas mileage. Unfortunately,this car get barely 30 miles per gallon hwy and 26 miles per a gallon city. And the great six speed auto transmission downshifts two gears on even the smallest hill,making the cruise control practically unusable for gas mileage runs. Our Kia is extremely well built and attractive. It is fun to drive too. But we really needed it to make the gas mileage Kia said it would. Now we will get rid of it to buy a 5 speed Toyota Yaris
Favorite Features
Outstanding build quality. World Class. Sporty car,fun to drive. Gets looks everywhere my wife drives it. Great experience at the Kia dealership-they have nothing to do with the car's issues. Car is very stable on highway even in high winds.
Suggested Improvements
It should get the mileage it was advertised to get. Ten miles per gallon less highway mileage is simply not acceptable. The software on the cruise control needs to be recalibrated to lessen the downshifts. The drivers door inside top door cover needs some shimming material under it so it won't creak when you put your elbow on it and take it off. Less features in the radio and how about a subwoofer in it somewhere. The radio has ZERO BASS.
By btatr
on 04/14/12 09:59 AM (PDT)

worknman, did you read my comments? I never said you should get 40 mpg, that would happen only on ideal conditions which would be good weather, no traffic on a flat highway, and tires properly inflated. But you should get at least 35-36 mph in highway ONLY driving. First, do me a favor and check the tire pressure in all 4 tires. KIA ships their cars with 40 lbs per tire but I believe the correct pressure is 32 lbs. per tire, at least it is in the SX model. I know this could be an issue because my car had 40 lbs per tire the first 1,000 miles until I finally checked it and corrected the air pressure. The dealer forgot to check the tire pressure. After I made the change, fuel economy went up. Second, make sure you have ECO [Economy] mode activated. There is a button which turns it on and off. When it's on, you will see a green display on your speedometer. Have you been driving with ECO mode on or off? Third, fill up your gas tank and then immediately do number four below. Fourth, Find a highway where there's no traffic and drive 70 miles non-stop. Remember, no city stop and go driving is allowed in this test. Then fill up your tank and let us know if it takes more than 2 gallons. If you do all of the things I asked above, I would be very surprised to learn it takes more than 2 gallons. Let us know what happens.

By btatr
on 04/07/12 10:41 AM (PDT)

Something doesn't ring true with this review. Let me start by saying fuel economy depends upon many variables such as tire pressure, driving habits, number of passengers, road conditions, etc., so there's no one figure for everyone. We have a 2012 RIO 5 door and our fuel economy figures are nothing like those in his post. We get 38-40 mpg in highway only driving, 23-25 in city stop and go driving only, and approximately 31-33 mpg in combined driving. In other words, our combined driving is higher than his reported highway only figures and our highway figures are much higher. Something's wrong as his comments don't seem to jive with reality.

By worknman
on 04/08/12 12:43 PM (PDT)

Well,I'd love to be getting 38-40 mpg in hwy driving. You must also understand that mileage we get posted on the car computer readout is optimistic by at least 5 miles per gallon. You have to check your mileage by using the odometer and the actual amount of gas you are putting in the tank divided into it. Here's something else for your reality check. At 5000 miles the radio just stopped working. No radio,no telephone bluetooth,no rear view camera not even the time displayed. The darn thing just stopped working. I took out the three fuses I could see that had anything to do with audio in them in the owners manual and the two fuse door displays and reinstalled them. None of the fuses were blowm. But guess what,the radio started working again. When I saw Microsoft on the radio I got concerned-given their history with xbox reliability and it was with little surprise when the radio just stopped working. Thankfully,an apparent reboot-gee,I wonder what technology requires that-and thankfully,the radio started working again-for now. Anyway,it you want to buy the Kia,that's up to you. Given all we've seen in just a few month's,I'd buy a Toyota before I ever walked into a Kia dealership again.

By btatr
on 04/16/12 13:24 PM (PDT)

worknman, you don't get it do you? Tire pressure is just one component of gas mileage. I never said having the proper air pressure will get you another 5-6 mpg. However, it's just like working on a computer, if something is wrong, you have to troubleshoot and eliminates all possibilities. With lower than expected fuel economy, the first thing to check is your tire pressure simply to eliminate that as a possible cause of lower mileage. That's it, no more, and no less. Now we've eliminated both tire pressure and use of the ECO module as potential problems. Are you going to take the test I suggested?

By worknman
on 04/22/12 22:08 PM (PDT)

Been a little busy here btatr,working overtime but I'll get you the mileage results you asked for. In the mean time I stand by my-what the heck did I buy this car with such bad gas mileage for -review. I reinterate-it's a very well built car that gets no where the mileage Kia said it would. Please keep posting.I'm enjoying it.

By gepa
on 04/29/12 06:21 AM (PDT)

Good News and a thank you to the very knowledgable KIA service manager who took the time to listen to my complaints and understood immediately. KIA service found problem with a loose Audio fuse and connection in IPM module for IOD fuse connection. They were able to repair the connection without having to replace the whole IPM module. Audio fuse powers keyless entry module, radio and TPMS system and was told that the car's computer kept resetting and that was why all presets went back to 0. This also put a drain on car battery and could explain why the car was not getting better gas mileage. Something to do with car's computer memory. I did notice an immediate improvement with the car's performance...did not feel sluggish and the trip odometer immediately spiked up to an average of 32 mpg in the 30+ miles of stop/go traffic on the way home. Hopefully, I will see an improvment at the pump when I check the acutal mileage/gas.

By btatr
on 04/16/12 13:32 PM (PDT)

I'm gong to post the results from the last two fill ups where I carefully checked and calculated my fuel economy [and no, I don't use the vehicle's computer]. Here are the results. 1. Almost all stop and go, with the exception of 13 miles on the interstate, and it was 27.1 mpg for this mostly in town stop and go driving with some highway mixed in. 2. Over the weekend I had 29 miles of all stop and go in town mileage. I then took a short trip where I added an additional 47 miles on a divided highway where there were traffic lights every 1 or 2 miles. That meant I had to stop several times. However, traffic was very light and I made a number of traffic lights, so I only stopped about 6 or 7 times during the 47 mile trip. My fuel economy was 31.67 mpg for this combination of in town and divided highway driving. Note: The last time I did a check of highway only driving, starting out with a full tank of gas, I got 38 mpg.

By mtnester1
on 04/25/12 12:21 PM (PDT)

I was very interested to read the thread of posts. We just bought a 2012 Rio 5 and worknman we have the same problem. I drive highway to work every day and I am so disappointed I am getting 10 miles less than I should. We purchased this car specifically for the better mpg so now I have taken my husband's 95 Camry which gets 28 mpg for a more comfortable ride to work. I don't think it will be long before we trade this Rio 5 in. In general, very disappointed in this car - the performance, the blind spots and the fact you cannot display the time on the UVO screen - so who knows what time it is! It is what it is. I would love to go back to a Nissan.

By btatr
on 04/20/12 09:29 AM (PDT)

Checking tire pressure is the first thing one does if they're allegedly failing to get the proper mileage. That is nothing more than step one of a trouble shooting procedure. Proper tire air pressure will not increase anyone's mpg by 5 or 6 mpg. However, incorrect air pressure can reduce mpg significantly. I know with my RIO, I'm getting substantially better highway mileage then worknman. I suggested to him that he fill up his tank, find a long stretch of the interstate where there's no traffic, drive at least 70 miles, exit the interstate, immediately fill up the tank, and calculate the mileage from all highway driving.

By worknman
on 04/15/12 19:12 PM (PDT)

By the way,the tire pressure right now is 35 psi a tire-already checked that right after the car started dropping back mpg performances. But if dropping it to 32 will get me six to eight miles per gallon back,hey,we will see.

By btatr
on 05/09/12 04:45 AM (PDT)

I'm going to explain in detail my real world mpg experience. I live approximately 25 miles from my job. The interstate is slightly more than 1 mile from here, and when I get off, it's about a mile to my place of employment. That means I have 23 highway miles and 2 miles of stop and go driving to and from work. So for every 100 miles, 92 are highway and 8 are stop and go. On the way to work, all 23 miles are non-stop, but on the return trip in the afternoon, the last 3 miles on the highway are always slowing/starting during PM rush hour. But for the purpose of this exercise, we'll ignore that slowing/starting during the last 3 miles of my trip home and classify them as regular highway miles. On Monday/Tuesday I drove a total of 100 miles to and from work. I also made 3 or 4 side trips to the supermarket, the gym, and McDonalds. As of Tuesday night, my total mileage was 119 and 3.74 gallons filled up the tank. That means I got 31.8 mpg in combination driving (92 highway and 27 stop and go). I think that's pretty good considering the weather was beautiful both days so I was driving with the windows open, which decimates fuel economy. If I went on a highway trip with the windows closed, and if there was no traffic, those mpg numbers would rise significantly.

By btatr
on 05/09/12 04:30 AM (PDT)

Before I upload my driving experience, I want to comment on the UVO system which is a huge upgrade from your typical car stereo system. There's a large display of the time when it's off, but when UVO is on, the time is displayed in tiny numbers in the upper right hand corner that I cannot see during the day which is very frustrating. I can read it only at night. But that's a minor complaint. I love the fact that I can play music and change channels via voice commands. In addition to Sirius satellite radio which is terrific, it also has a jukebox which allowed me to upload slightly less than 1 gb of my favorite mp3s songs. That's my favorite aspect of the system. If that isn't good enough, I can make outgoing and receive incoming phone calls from the UVO system. How nice is that? As for the quality of the audio, that's a personal opinion. From my perspective, it isn't great audio quality, but it's pretty good. I listen to classical, big band, and opera and I'm pleased.

By worknman
on 05/06/12 02:56 AM (PDT)

Here's what I got for you. Run Number one-the car was driven up and down Interstate 95 by my wife to work at an average of 70 miles per hour-no cruise control was used-tire pressure was 35 psi. 249.6 miles divided by 7.760 gallons of gas added = 32.16 miles per gallon Run Number Two- the car was driven by me at an average of 67 miles per gallon. The car was driven 25% on high speed hilly back roads that has hills that cancel each other out as to engine exertion-as many hills up as down. 75% on interstate roads-20% of interstate run was with was run with the car on cruise control set at 67 miles per hour-the car was downshifting on hills approximately every three minutes or so twice. Tire pressure was 35 psi. 201.8 miles divided by 6.217 gallons = 32.45 miles per gallon. I note that half way through my miles per gallon run,I got tired of babying the car and simply gave the car enough gas to keep the transmission from excessively backshifting (downshifting ) to move the car. Our Kia is more fun to drive when you give it a little more gas then you would like ( while doing a gas mileage run) to make the transmission and not the engine do most of the work to move the car. Set the throttle at a good setting and don't change it at all as the car cycles through the transmission. As I said before,the car is very well built,based more on a sporty ride and driving style which both me and my wife like. We really like the style of the car but Our Kia 5 door is getting no where near the 40 miles per gallon it was advertised to get and will probably never get near that 40 miles per gallon mark. The stereo's sound quality is pretty bad-wish I'd have checked that out more before we bought it-I'd have had it taken out as it was expensive -the Uvo model radio. We are having some function issues with it but when it works my wife likes the bluetooth phone option on it-otherwise it's pretty sad-sound wise. Anyway,there's your two mileage runs at 35 psi. I've been buried in overtime and my wifes been home sick for the last week or so -so it's been just yesterday that I took her out to a place we used to go so she could forget how crappy her healths been lately. Post what you want btatr-Our car is'nt getting 40 miles per gallon and it ain't ever going to get it. Thanks Kia.

By worknman
on 04/15/12 19:10 PM (PDT)

In my experience with all the other cars I've owned,fourty pounds of pressure in the tires would get you BETTER gas mileage. I've done everything I can think off other then turn the darn engine off to get better mileage already. We've driven like grandma and driven with the cruise off and on and everything in between. The ECO button has been on for pretty much the entire time the car has been driven. It's a nice light in the dash but not much more. But I'll humor you about the tire pressure thing. I'll check the door plate and the owners manual recommendations on the car and redo the inflation. How more tire rolling resistance into the asphalt will get me more gas mileage I'll never understand but we'll try anything to get better mileage. Even humoring you,btatr.

By btatr
on 06/18/12 05:58 AM (PDT)

dchev, I don't understand what risk you're taking because KIAs come with a 5 year 60,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty, plus a ten year 100,000 mile power train warranty. How nice is that? I can only talk about our experience, we have two KIAs, a Forte SX and a 2012 RIOS SX. Between both cars, we had one minor problem with the trim inside the cabin that was fixed under warranty. Other than that, we had zero problems which up to now, is as good as anyone could expect. We also have friends with older KIAs who love their long term reliability. As for fuel economy, I would recommend turning off ECO mode [button below the dash by the driver's side door] unless you're driving on a relatively flat highway. ECO mode is only helpful for long stretches of highway driving. As I mentioned many times in this thread, I get around 32 mpg in COMBO driving which is what most of us do. Very few people drive only on the highway or only in the city so gauge your mpg in that light. I don't know anything about KIA theft alarms but I would start by going to KIA.com and registering as an OWNER. KIA will answer any questions you have about the vehicle. In my experience they are extremely polite and generally very helpful. If that doesn't work, go online and do your own research.

By worknman
on 05/15/12 22:02 PM (PDT)

1.Yea,well,the thing is with the ECO turned off the car simply seems to run better as far as shifting and coming off of lights and such....................................................................................2.as far as the oil thing..............I called Mobil One to confirm the oil could be used in the Kia as it met the warranty recommendations and Mobil One said yes..............I ran the oil 2000 miles as a potential mileage adder for the car as the mileage was not great .............hoping the most advanced fuel saving synthetic oil made by one of the most experienced oil companies in the world that was approved by their people to use in the Kia might help.............It did'nt.............What it did do was make the car roll on better-my wife said the car simply wanted to keep on going-indicating that the oil was indeed making less hydralic resistance in the engine and the engine was using less effort to roll forward.........................I am still baffled why that did not translate into more gas mileage.................So I went back to Castrol Syntec ,an oil that I have many years of experience with and have nothing but great things to say about as far as protecting an engine from wear...............Mobil One can probably get you better mileage-a mile per gallon or two maybe then Syntec but Castrol Syntec,in my experience is unbeaten in protecting an engine from wear..............The funny thing is I saw no recommendation as far as manfacturer in the owners manual other then for a Korean brand of oil......the 5w20 recommendation is there but no American brand name is recommended.......I asked the dealership mechanics and they said they used Mobil One.........which is pretty typical actually.........most dealerships do use Mobil One....as their synthetic choice....so that's another reason I trusted the Mobil One person I talked to on the phone..............But the difference with the Syntec installed in the car and the midgrade gas in it is very noticeable to both me and my wife.....the car runs smoother and quieter and the gas mileage is starting to go up....not much but up..........so we are still way south of 40 miles per gallon but enjoying driving the car more and simply going to forget getting 40 miles per gallon at all.......the heck with it.....I would say this though.....if you want to try to buy a Kia 5 door to get that mileage,I'd get the cheapest one they sell with a manual transmission,steel wheels with hubcaps and no extra's....obviously with a/c installed.........that one might well get close to the 40 mile per gallon......one other new bad thing.....a water leak developed under the center brake light housing on the rear hatchback door in it's center that ran down the inside of the rear hatchback glass.......I inspected it and found the center bolt holding the housing on....there are three.......... was just slightly loose.....you have to be careful not to overtighten these because it is a plastic housing but I got that center bolt tight and it looks like that might have fixed the leak........so it's on to the future with our sporty 34 mile per gallon highway Kia Rio 5 door.

By worknman
on 05/06/12 03:09 AM (PDT)

Note-I had my report all divided up nicely so you could read it easily but Edmunds posting softwrae compiled it into one paragraph-----sorry about that------if I knew it was going to do that------I'd have put about five space marks between where I'd have put paragraph spaces.-----gepa-----I hope the dealership has put your Kia where you can at least get 30 to 32 per gallon-----if the Uvo radio is turned off -the time display should be huge on the front--- as btatr said---if the Uvo radio is on/sound is playing----the time should be displayed in a tiny space on the top right-----gepa-better luck to you on your new Kia----I hope it works better for you for a very long time now since the dealership has worked on it.

By worknman
on 05/13/12 21:03 PM (PDT)

The mileage is not the forty miles per gallon highway stated-not even close. All my other car's have met the EPA mileage estimates posted by no less then two miles less then the EPA rating. I'll get back to you with a more in depth report on our Kia Rio 5 door as we head into the 6500 mile mark now. It turns out that Mobil One Fuel Efficient synthetic motor oil does'nt work too well in this car. I've gone back to an old reliable favorite -Castrol Syntec 5w20 and that's where it will stay. Wow,is the motor more quiet with the Castrol Syntec 5w20 in it. The car is driving much better now motor and transmission wise and as far as fuel we are now putting mid grade in the car. The driving difference is well worth the cost to us. Plus we picked up a mile per gallon highway too now. With the ECO button turned off. The car gets better mileage for us with that ECO button turned off-go figure. The last tank was all highway driving-70 mile per hour max-67 miles per hour cruise controlled thirty percent of the time on relatively flat open roads---33.474 miles per gallon. Details when I have the time to post them.

By gepa
on 04/28/12 06:11 AM (PDT)

btatr you are not smelling a rat. I traded in a 2007 Optima that I loved for the RIO 2012 Sedan for the better gas mileage and smaller car for easier parking since I work now in a congested city area with limited parking options. The 6cyl Optima was getting 24mpg in the city - husband wanted me to trade car in for smaller car with better gas mileage. Really like the KIA dealership where I bought my first KIA and basically like the downsized 2012 RIO Sedan but not happy with the gas mileage and strange little electrical problems. Checking gas mileage against the actual amount of gallons put in the car. Lucky if I am getting 22 mpg and highway 28. Now with that being said, I know all about the tire pressure and the car's first oil change, breaking the car in, etc to really start seeing better gas mileage but noticed some quirky things that might be causing the low mpg's. KIA service can't find anything wrong and taking my car back for2nd time today. Car is only wo months ago. I believe that there is something wrong with one of the electrical modules that control the ECO, the avg. ileage, trip, distance feature. Six times now my key fob would not open doors, no beep/lights (had to manually use key) and when this happens all the stored info in your mileage indicator/trip is reset back to 0. When this is set back to 0, my average mpg's drop back and to get 200 miles out of a 10 gallon tank. The other thing and will ask the dealer today, is when I fill the tank up, why would everything be set back to 0 again? I know not to trust the car's avg. mpg's reading and use my gas receipts with ODO readings to get the actual gas mileage but feel that there is something quirky happening. I would be happy to get the 24 mpg in the city like the Optima did and wish I never let my husband talk me into trading. Now to complete the picture...the UVO screen went blank - car radio totally stopped working yesterday while driving to work..no clock...nothing worked. When I left work later in the day, driving home made two calls - no UVO screen-radio/bluetooth...on second call the bluetooth/radio came alive... Physcho...all radio station presets are gone and of course time is off. Agree about UVO - radio leaves a lot to be desired. I am not blond and this is not a blond joke...but something is wrong and I do not want to be told by KIA service that they can't find anything and I don't know what I am talking about. So hopefully, this will be fixed today.

By talanj
on 05/11/12 11:31 AM (PDT)

I guess I'll chime in here. I have a 2012 sedan with the automatic. I to have been kinda dissappointed by the mileage. I commute 100 miles a day 80 highway/20 city roughly, roundtrip. The best mpg I've gotten out of a tank is 32.87mpg. I have tried feathering the throttle and babying it. The Mileage is still only so-so. I've had tanks that were under 30 mpg. I have been logging all my driving since I bought it just to see how it has been doing. And as I said most of my driving is Highway. It's a great car otherwise, the options are really nice and you can't beat the price. I went from 4x4 pickup getting under 20 so it's still a great improvement just not quite what I expected.

By dchev
on 06/21/12 23:14 PM (PDT)

btatr, I am certainly not worknman; however, I am former Toyota owner and fan. His Toyota experience is very similar to mine, so talking almost the same is "normal" I would say:) I like the 2012 Kia Rio5 SX very much, and I hope that the car will have good gas millage in the future.....(engine needs to break in) For right now, I enjoy driving it and will keep you posted in the future.

By dchev
on 07/04/12 20:42 PM (PDT)

Hi btatr, It is a Kia forum, but I also used to have Toyota cars. So, the only comparison that I can make is between Toyota cars and this new Kia Rio SX. Yes, I am Toyota fan, but I really want Kia Rio to be the car I want it to be.(being nice car, well build, with excellent gas millage)..because I have it and I am paying for it! I try to be objective about the car! Thus, as worknman also mentioned, It is an excellent build car inside/out, but the one trade off is still fuel economy. There are other Kia potential customers, so it is better for them to know that this car does not deliver on fuel economy (it is not only my opinion-go to www.kia-forums.com). Now, there are people who will say that they can live with a little bit lower fuel economy, but at least the car is very well build! And, there will be other people who will look somewhere else. I really want my Kia Rio5 SX to have good fuel economy! As a mather of fact, I just bought new tires just because of fuel economy. They are Continental Extreme Contact DWS and seem to increased my gas millage by 2MPG to 29MPG (readings by the computer of the car). Also, tires make the ride quieter and very comfortable, which is very important to me! The intresting thing is that right after I changed the tires, my fuel economy increased-100 miles/2MPG better fuel economy....go figure why?...

By btatr
on 05/15/12 23:55 PM (PDT)

Motor Week [PBS TV], one of the premiere automobile evaluators, reviewed a 2012 RIO EX model. During their series of extensive tests, Motor Week recorded 38 mpg for their EX model. If you're interested, check out their review online. As I've stated so often during these Edmunds.com comments, what some have described as "highway mileage" in this interesting series of comments, is actually much closer to combined driving. The EPA rating for the 2012 RIO in combined driving is 33 mpg. I'm getting around 32 mpg in combined driving so I'm pleased.

By dchev
on 06/26/12 22:08 PM (PDT)

btatr and worknman, I like this discussion:) Kia dealer service dept. did very well on intalling my auto-dimming mirror, so I am pleased with outcome. My SX looks like much more expensive car and I love everything about it, but gas millage. I am on my second tank of gas .....and I am getting so far by readings on computer screen 26.4 MPG......I drive mostly city, but this is simply unacceptable. As I said in my previous posts I will drive 1000 miles, change oil with full synthetic, and hopefully I will have millage in lower 30s... Btatr, warranty is great on Kia, but lets hope I do not use it! Then I will be conviced that Kias are good cars. As far as worknman, praising his Toyota Echo, I can agree with everything he says, ....because my first car was a Toyoat Tercel. Drove it 120000 miles, sold it to a friend who drove it another 80000 and at 250000 miles car was retired. I did only normal maintenance on this car and it ran like a champ... The car had the same 1.5l Toyota Engine, which is great. Toyota knows about it and that's why they still have it in Yaris and Prius C...yes Prius C that is getting 50+ MPG Real World Millage! Let's stop praising Toyota and say something good for Kia. It is a shame that Toyota interiors are build so much cheaper than Kia and Hyundai. Just look at Yaris, Corolla, or even Prius C and compared to Kia Rio5 SX they look very, very cheap! Why Toyota Why? If Kia can do it, you should be able to do it, as well! Enjoy your cars guys! Thanks for this nice discussion.

By worknman
on 05/28/12 18:20 PM (PDT)

Well,the latest tank of gas was 7.954 gallons divided into 244.4 miles which equals 30.7 miles to the gallon.Let's just say 31.............We are going back to regular and just hunkering down and driving the little gas hog.......It's still a fun car to drive and still looks great......The rear window has not leaked since I tightened the middle bolt....Like I said,if you do this to stop a leak-DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN THE BOLT-that housing is plastic and you can break it.....The Uvo radio is having some bluetooth issues with the phone...it's an off again ...on again kind of thing....anyway.My wife wants me to raise the passenger seat because she looks like a hobbit riding in it........ All down in the floor.I have to laugh because when I ride there,I kind of like the Formula One car kind of cockpit thing but I will fabricate from some form of tough steel -risers for the passenger seat to make her happy.......I very much liked finding out the car had a telescoping as well as rising and lower steering wheel....that allowed me to set the driving position close to what the Echo we have is....pretty much spot on for me-when I drive us around on my days off.....not a bad car really...I hope she's as reliable as she is well built and we should be o.k......my wife likes the car so that's the main thing.

By matt1357
on 06/20/12 00:43 AM (PDT)

sorry worknman, I didn't read your last post saying your keeping the kia before I posted....Hey why do you think castrol syntec protects so good?

By dchev
on 06/19/12 22:51 PM (PDT)

btatr, Kia's warranty is great, but let's say that I preffer not to use it:) I really think that 2012 Kia Rio5 SX is a very well build car; however, you have to understand people perception about Kia as a brand. Still, there are many, many people who do not appreciate the products Kia has come up with in the last 2-3 years. It will take awhile for people to realize that Kias are good cars. I have been a Toyota fan for all my life, and believe me when I tell you that if Toyota promises about a gas millage, it will deliver it. I still have only 320 miles on it, so I really cannot talk about gas millage. I hope it will be between 32-35 MPG average...and I will be happy! I got the tire pressure to 32PSI, turned off ECO, drive with being in a hurry, and most importantly have a smile every time I drive my Rio5 SX This is what bothers me: Service/Parts Departments at Kia Dealerships. I went to Dealer Service Department and asked questions about the car maintenance, along with possibility of installing auto-dimming mirror. The guy did not not that this car has it, and his tone of voice was not confident at all. I am just scared that they will not install the mirror...when I take it to them for installation. I hope the mechanics are better than the service guy who take the orders, and the person who installs the part will read instructions.....before installing it. I say that because I read on line (www.kia-forums.com) about Kia mechanics who put more oil in the engine of the cars then they supposed to. If they cannot do a simple oil change, do you think they are going to be okay with installing an auto-dimming mirror? You can say: Go to another dealer....Yes I can, but problem is that most of dealers in Charlotte, NC are doubtful. If Kia wants to advance as a company/brand, they really have to think about rebuilding their dealerships and service area to look nice and to train their mechanics.... At least this is what Toyota has been doing for the last 6-7 years.... So far Kia/Hyundai has been copying Toyota in so many ways, so changing service dept. in Dealerships is important! Sorry for the long post! By the way, you have 2012 Kia Rio5 SX, so you also have an alarm system-look at your front windows. If you see stickers: Vehicle Alarm System in triangular, then you have an alarm too:) Enjoy your Rio!

By worknman
on 04/12/12 20:57 PM (PDT)

Btatr-that's funny right there. Here's the deal. I OWN a 2000 Toyota Echo 5 speed manual transmission car that I have driven the rat crap out of for 230,000 miles. I maintain it with all stock parts and Castrol Syntec motor oil. There is probably no other Echo in America that has been driven at as high a speeds for as long as the car I have that I still drive today. I drive up I95 almost everyday and have with this car since my wife and I bought it. This car should have blown up at 100,000 miles for as hard as I have driven it but it has'nt. Plus,our beloved little Echo still returns 42 miles per gallon if I keep the speed under 75 miles per hour on the interstate. So I know what a great little car can return if it's built right. Our Echo was sold to us with 41 hwy ( as I remember) hwy as the selling gas mileage and has matched or done BETTER then that since we owned it. This Kia we bought IS a very well built car. But -after my wife (mostly) and I driving it for 5000 miles plus- OUR Kia Rio 5 dr IS NOT NOW and will likely NEVER BE a FOURTY MILE PER GALLON CAR. By the way,my wife ,who drives much closer to the speed limit then me, drives the Kia to work up and back I95 every work day. Sadly,we are probably stuck with this Kia-the money just is'nt there to eat the upside down cost to another car loan- which realistically is'nt the worst car we could be stuck with-it just gets sucky gas mileage for what we bought it to get. So,I'd like to wax all philisophical about getting hosed out of ten miles per gallon but I can't. All I can do is tell you the gas mileage we are ACTUALLY GETTING based on the gas we put in the tank and the mileage that has passed on the odometer since the last refill. You can talk air inflations,driving styles and all the rest-it really looks like this Kia will never give us the 40 miles per gallon we desperately needed for it to get and that just stinks. But this Kia Rio 5 dr has some style,some character too-it's not the end of the driving world. By the way,if your UVO radio goes out,check the big fuse holder in the car under dash in the center of the fuse box. I think what happened to us is the sporty suspension shook the holder that holds that fuse and another fuse together and they just got loose. When I pushed them back in-with the other two fuses elsewhere-they reconnected. And-there is a cool fuse removing tool in the fuse box under the hood. Makes removing the tiny modern fuses much easier and safer too. But that center double fuse holder is a little harder to get the fuses out of-but with care you can do it. We don't hate this Kia-just the mileage ( and the downshifty cruise control and the no bass radio). We really needed the mileage to be what Kia said it would be. I mean,I'd have been happy with 36 - 37 miles per gallon hwy. But 30-31 is just sad. Works for Toyota-LOL-that was a good one-don't I wish.

By btatr
on 05/12/12 07:25 AM (PDT)

To Talanj: Thanks for the input. 100 miles per day! Wow! Do you really drive that far? Anyway, 20% of your driving is city stop and go which kills mileage. You didn't tell us what part of that highway commute is non-stop. If you're driving on the interstate during AM/PM rush hour, I'm guessing there are sections where you're relegated to slowing, stopping, and starting again which drastically lowers mpg. One should never expect to match the ideal EPA test conditions in the real world so your mileage will always be less than the EPA numbers. I would guess 8-10% lower would be normal. The RIO EPA combined driving rating is 33 MPG so you're pretty close.

By dchev
on 06/16/12 12:38 PM (PDT)

One question for btatr! Do you know where I can order a genuine Kia anti-theft alarm system for my car! I talked to the dealer, but they have no idea.... They look like they do not know their product very well, which is another difference between Toyota and Kia.. Kia need to build their service departments/parts dept. better. Any info will be appreciated! Thanks

By btatr
on 05/14/12 15:05 PM (PDT)

1. I was going to suggest driving with ECO mode off, especially in the city and/or on hilly terrain where it's useless and probably a negative. A friend of mine has a KIA and he insists that he gets better mileage with ECO turned off. 2. Anyone who disregards the manufacturer's recommendations is very foolish. If KIA tells you to use 5W-20 oil, there's a good reason. They spent a fortune designing and testing that engine and nobody knows more than they do about the specs.

By dchev
on 06/28/12 11:02 AM (PDT)

btatr, I am not worknman. I do not think that I trash Kia Rio or any other Kias! My purpose is to discuss and try to understand how come Kia/Hyundai can build car with so good quality materials, brand new engine, transmission and ....not deliver good gas millage? It might be something in computer programs of computer of the car, which requires more fuel to go into engine to make it more powerful, but somehow decreases fuel economy....I do not know! I hope that somebody from Kia Corporate reads our discussion from time to time, and they try to figure out a computer update or something that will make Kia Rios and Hyundai Accent more fuel efficient or at least close to EPA numbers. If you read kia or hyundai forums, you will see that many people are concern with fuel economy! Other than fuel efficiency, I just can praise this car so far! So, please do not take it personal!

By dchev
on 09/04/12 21:41 PM (PDT)

Worknman, all the best to you and your wife. I hope your wife can recover and be well again!

By matt1357
on 06/20/12 00:35 AM (PDT)

worknman, Your going to sell your new car because it gets 32mpg? How many miles have you had it because when I got my fit it got 30 mpg for the first couple thousand miles then started going up until I was getting 33 in the same commute. 32mpg is very good and a yaris will be be about the same unless you get a 5speed which will be better but a 6speed manual rio I bet would be the same... And if it is a little better remember you are giving up 138hp and 123 lb-ft of torque for 106hp and 103lb-ft but coming from a echo you don't mind a car that weak. Im wondering what you would really save in a year with a 2mpg gain... like 50$? You are willing to take a 2000$ loss trading a new car to save 2mpg. I can understand if you don't like the auto transmission.. I went from a 4 speed auto to 5 speed auto in my fit and couldn't stand all the shifting. I traded it in with 7000 miles for a 5 speed so I know the hit you take trading a new car. I think americans are getting a little crazy with the whole MPG number craze.....Dumb married giezers sit around watching commercials..oh the elantra gets 40mpg lets get that....oh wait honey we need to goto the honda dealer now, the civic gets 41!!!!!!!!.. thats because they upshift way to early and shift 80million times a car ride. every time you sneeze theres a downshift. I will never buy an automatic again unless its CVT but those are crap too. LONG LIVE THE MANUAL TRANSMISSION sorry for the rant

By btatr
on 05/09/12 04:23 AM (PDT)

worknman didn't do the test I suggested which would mirror EPA testing which is highway ONLY driving. That is, fill up the tank, get on a highway that's relatively flat when there's no traffic, and drive at least 70 to 80 miles. Upon exiting the interstate, immediately fill up the tank again and measure your fuel economy. With his wife's experience, there are so many variables he didn't account for. The I-95 corridor typically has very heavy traffic, especially during rush hour which was when she was apparently driving. Did she repeatedly have to stop and/or slow down going to and from work? Does she have stop and go driving on the way to the highway in the morning? After she exits from the highway, does she have stop and go driving to her place of employment? Were the windows open during this beautiful spring weather? Did she make any other trips? There are so many variables he didn't answer so I'm going to upload another post with my experience driving to and from work.

By worknman
on 06/24/12 21:36 PM (PDT)

Update-the mileage on the car-THE HIGHWAY MILEAGE-is now at 33.45 miles per gallon as of the last tank. The driver's side mirror glass has become loose in it's mount and now shifts aimlessly every time the driver's side door is shut. That will have to be fixed-hopefully the warranty covers it because no damage caused it. And there was a positively terrifying one minute period where my wife turned on the car and I heard the unmistakeable screetch of a bearing going out-like a alternator or power steering bearing. I havent heard that since and the car is charging correctly and driving o.k. but we will see. The rear window brake light housing has'nt leaked again and the bluetooth is woking about 85% of the time so I guess that's par for this car. The fun continues.

By dchev
on 06/27/12 22:03 PM (PDT)

Btatr, having 6 speed tranmission vs. 4 speed transmission and good engine, does not make one car superior! I will give you my statistics: I had a 2009 Toyota Corolla S with 4 speed transmission, and guess what? I constantly did get between 30-32 MPG on the same route, with the same driving with this car! It did not mather if I drove with A/C on or off, it gave me this gas millage! So, if you tell me that 26MPG is good, when Kia Rio5 is 300lb lighter than the Corolla, it is just wrong! Also, Corolla engine is not some old piece of technology, because Toyota use the same engine in its Prius! As I mentioned, I really like everything on the Rio, but gas millage! If It gets better, I will be very happy, otherwise this will be my first and last Kia....and going back to Toyota. Not now, but after 3-4 years!

By btatr
on 06/25/12 10:13 AM (PDT)

As I stated earlier, I believe worknman signed in under multiple identities and is talking to himself in an attempt to bash KIA while praising his beloved Toyota. Having said that, I'm glad to see he finally acknowledged that he's getting over 33 mpg, which jives with the EPA Combo mpg rating. As for problems with KIA, I can tell you our experience is vastly different from worknman's alleged stories. 1- The KIA dealerships we've used couldn't be nicer. 2 - We have a KIA Forte SX and RIO SX. Between both cars, we only had one minor trim issue (inside the cabin) that was fixed under warranty. They are well built vehicles. 3- We have a couple of friends who have KIAs that are almost 10 years old and they still look great and run almost like new. 4 - Finally, what is it with worknman and the KIA warranty? Why doesn't he acknowledge the 5 year 60,000 mile bumper to bumper and a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty on the expensive power train (Engine + Transmission)? Why does he continue to express an unjustified concern about the company standing behind heir warranties? Please ............, KIA would go out of business if they failed to honor those warranties. Those best in the industry warranties were definitely one of the factors that convinced us to buy two KIAs.

By dchev
on 06/23/12 00:21 AM (PDT)

btatr, check out this review (second from www.youtube.com) I kind agree with him only on fuel economy. Other than that, the car is very nice. http://www.kia-forums.com/3g-2011-rio/74511-2012-kia-rio-video-review-5.html

By btatr
on 06/27/12 05:04 AM (PDT)

dchev, let's assume for a moment you are not worknman (LOL) Toyota does make very good cars but they're way behind the technological curve. I looked at the Corolla and couldn't believe they have an ancient 4 speed automatic transmission while the KIA has an outstanding, modern 6 speed transmission. And you're right, KIA's are sleek, aerodynamic vehicles with beautiful, modern interiors. And the list of standard features on the SX model is incredible for this class. Throw in the fantastic warranty and lower prices and the decision was a no brainer. And let's not forget the fun quotient because the RIO SX not only looks great, it is so much fun to drive. As for city only driving, I don't think you will ever get more than the 26.4 mpg you stated. I actually get less than you in city driving because stop and go is a killer on fuel economy. Every time you stop for a light or traffic and then accelerate, you're burning fuel at a rapid rate. As I stated before, the RIO excels on highway only and the more typical combination of highway driving with city stop and go. I'm so pleased because I get about 32 mph in combo driving and much better than that on those rare long highway trips.

By dchev
on 06/16/12 12:33 PM (PDT)

I just bought 2012 Kia Rio5 Sx. I have been a Toyota fan for all my life, so buying Kia was and is a big risk for me. I hope my gas millage is around 33MPG average! If I get this millage, I will be happy. I can understand why Worknman is not excited about his Kia Rio experience. When you buy a Toyota, you know that if they say 35 MPG, you will get it or even more... For example, My Toyota Corolla (EPA 26city/34Hwy) gets 32MPG average with 50/50 city/hwy driving. So, I really expected that the Rio will be the same. It is really early for me to judge this car, since I have had only 200miles on it. I will drive it a few thousand miles, change my oil at 1000 mile and switch to full synthetic and then see what the numbers going to be! 2012 Kia Rio is very well built! Let's hope that gas millage will be good...and I might become a Kia fan in the future:)

By worknman
on 06/24/12 22:01 PM (PDT)

dchev-I have the same fears about Kia service personnel-but you have to take a chance if you are going to take advantage of the warranty. matt1357-no problem-I cannot properly relate just how viciously fast for how long I have driven my Toyota Echo-this is the finest car I have ever owned. Here's a clue-it has a rev limiter that kicks in at 110 miles per hour. The body air kit on the car actually works to stabilize the Echo at high speeds too. The Echo engine must have been built on a dyno and run full speed for weeks without breaking because this motor is simply beautiful. Most Americans never got the most out their Echo like I have because the beauty of an Echo motor happens at high revs just like a Japanese inline four cylinder motorcycle engine. My little Echo has never let me down-when driver excruciatingly fast it still returns 36 miles per gallon and when driven easy it returns 42 miles per gallon. I have replaced the battery once and tires three times and brakes four times . It has 230,000 on it and runs almost like brand new especially when filled with mid grade gas. The clutch is still the original one. The a/c motor did die-after 210,000 of running everyday commutes cruising at 80 to 85 miles per hour-the norm for morning left lane traffic in this area. But the idler pulley function on the dead compressor works just fine and the belt turns o.k. so I'm not spending the thousand dollars to properly fix the a/c system. In short,whoever the magnificient Japanese guys and gals were who worked on developing this car did a fantastic job and I think it was American marketers who simply dropped the ball on this fantastically durable and -if you put 38 psi in the tires like I do-fun to drive car. I was'nt trying to kill the Echo but she certainly took everything I threw at her and still does -smiling. So,the Kia well,she's already had more problems then my Echo ever had and has never got close to the same mileage. Anyway,it's all moot now. We own the car,my wife still like's the car and I've stopped worrying about the mileage. Especially with the whine I heard recently. I'd like to think we won't hear that again. Especially on a long trip somewhere. We have towing priveleges on this car so we are prepared.

By btatr
on 07/05/12 04:23 AM (PDT)

Type of tire, how they're inflated, weight in the car, windows open, A/C on, driving habits, traffic, hills, etc. all impact fuel economy. Maybe I missed it but I checked out the KIA forum and didn't see much in the way of fuel economy complaints for the 2012 RIO. Nonetheless, apparently you didn't read what I wrote. Most KIA owners are obsessed with that 40 mpg figure and are disappointed when they don't get it. How many times must I repeat almost nobody drives exclusively on the highway. Most of us COMBINE highway with in town stop and go driving. Those people are confused and need to forget that 40 mpg marketing number. That's why I keep telling people the EPA number they should focus on is that 33 mpg COMBINED driving number. If people want to test the highway figure, do the following. Fill up your tank near the Interstate, drive 80 to 100 miles on the Interstate when there is no traffic and the road is relatively flat. Exit the highway, immediately go to a gas station, and fill up the tank again. That's highway only driving. If you are reading this post be honest with yourself. Are you actually driving only on the highway or should you really focus on that 33 mpg COMBINED driving figure? As I've stated numerous times, my RIO combined driving number is between 31 and 32 mpg so I'm pleased.

By btatr
on 06/28/12 12:22 PM (PDT)

Hi dchev: OK, I'll take you at your word that you're not worknman. And let me remind you this is a KIA thread , not a Toyota column. In addition, I didn't take it personally, I just didn't sense any sincerity in your posts plus I don't want to read about Toyotas in a KIA forum. As for fuel economy, I think the people you are referring to are confused about EPA ratings. They expect 40 mpg because the EPA highway rating is 40 mpg, but they do not seem to understand that means highway ONLY driving . As I mentioned before, very few people spend 100% of their time driving on the highway. Almost everyone combines highway driving with a fair amount of in town stop and go driving. That stop and go aspect of driving destroys fuel economy. Hence, they should gauge their mileage as COMBO driving. Check the EPA combo rating for KIA and you will see it's 33 mpg . That's the number people should focus upon. Anyone who thinks they will match EPA numbers in the real world is setting themselves up for disappointment. In the end, if you're getting close to 33 mpg in combo driving you're matching the EPA. I'm not too far off because my combo rating is around 32 mpg . There's nothing wrong with KIA and Hyundai computers, the problem is end user error and/or misunderstanding about measuring mpg in the correct category. They're looking for highway mileage when they are actually doing combo driving

By radar17
on 10/07/12 08:53 AM (PDT)

P.S. should add that the mileage was only about 1-3 miles better than 40.

By radar17
on 10/07/12 08:48 AM (PDT)

I bought a new 2012 Kia lx hatchback (with auto tx) in Jan. I've now put over 16,000 miles on it. Zero problems thus far and mileage has been very satisfactory. This is my first subcompact and I've been very impressed with the quality of the car. On a cross country trip and maintaining posted freeway speeds, while driving like mileage was a concern (which it is) in west texas I consistently averaged better than 40mpg in highway driving. In city driving I got in the low 30's. Mileage was always checked by comparing miles to actual gallons purchased.

By worknman
on 08/24/12 16:53 PM (PDT)

For twelve years I have driven a Toyota Echo that easily met it's 41 mile per gallon highway rating. I will be selling that car and our Kia also at a loss now because during the week of July 27th,my wife suffered a stroke. She can barely walk now much less drive. She is retiring immediately because she has more then enough time in government nightmare civilian service-those who work there know what I mean. We still have two Accords I can drive to get her to and from medicval appointments when I am not working 60 hours a week-wheelchair will fit good in the trunks too. Heck,I'm just glad she is alive and still herself-that she cannot walk well or for long distances,is dizzy most of the time is'nt bothering me too much-God had given her back to me with time to heal. I will miss my little Echo ( she and I placed many a driver who messed with the little black Samurai Sword) and frankly,the few times I drove the Kia like it was actually meant to be driven,like a sports car-I will miss those mountain road charges too. But life never tells you what is coming next and this caught me right in the side of the head like a Mike Tyson punch. My last words on our soon to be sold 2012 Kia Rio is-if we had bought one at a really great price and simply bought the car to enjoy it,the car would have easily met expectations. Very well built car and the people on the line would put their blood,sweat and tears into building her should be proud. Last last word-if your wife has a persistent numbness in her face that seems to be a sinus infection but she is dizzy-and the doctor tells you for two weeks it's sinus infection-get a MRI-it took Kaiser three weeks to discover my wife had a stroke. Like I said,God gave her back to me. Be well btatr-nice jousting with you online. Thanks God.

By btatr
on 06/27/12 22:19 PM (PDT)

dchev or worknman, I couldn't care less if you go back to Toyota tomorrow. Sell your KIA today and buy another Toyota because that's where your heart obviously lies. Your goal here is obviously knocking KIA. Anyone who trashes the fabulous KIA warranties is biased. I've felt all along you are a plant, not a fair minded objective consumer who just happens to have a different opinion. I'm not here to say bad things about Toyota because they make excellent vehicles, but anyone who knows anything about cars will tell you to avoid a 4 speed automatic transmission and that goes beyond fuel economy. In fact, I had my son's Toyota Corolla while he was stationed in Iraq. Although it was a very good and reliable vehicle, it was basic transportation which never came close to getting 32 mpg in combined driving as I do with my new RIO. Once again, my personal experience doesn't jive with your Toyota bias. For everyone else, read as many reviews as you can about the KIA RIO and you will see the overwhelming majority love their cars. Are they perfect? No, every vehicle has flaws and the RIO is no exception as I would make several minor changes. But on balance, the 2012 RIO provides excellent fuel economy, fantastic looks, nimble handling, lots of comfort, a terrific price, cool technology, and the best warranty in the industry.

By worknman
on 03/19/14 00:02 AM (PDT)

Well, our Kia got to about 57000 miles and the pinging started. It wasn't too bad but it just got worse week after week. I finally decided to stop putting regular gas in it and to turn off the eco mode too. After five tanks of name brand premium gas with the eco mode off, I can report our Kia now drives,shifts and runs like I wanted it too since the day we bought it. So much more smoother and climbs hills much better now too. This darn Kia was never meant to run regular gas after all. It will cost a little more but at least I think our Kia has delivered the last surprise. By using premium gas and with the eco mode off, I expect our Kia to easily go to two hundred thousand miles. Without twenty visits back to the dealership. I will do my part by keeping the oil changed using Kia parts I buy at the dealership as well as air and cabin air filters too. If your Kia Rio 5 starts pinging-stop using regular and start using name brand premium gas and turn that eco mode off-the Kia Rio was never meant to use either regular gas or the eco mode-it turns out. God Bless.