I'm Happy...
By mattman44 on
2012 Kia Rio SX 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6A)
If you're looking for an SX with premium pkg, GOOD LUCK! There were 8 available east of Kansas when I looked. Traveled 350mi by train to get it. Features for price can't be beat. Things laid out well and user friendly. Smaller in back but bigger in front than Versa but I'd prefer the styling to the smaller space. I hate the transmission. Manual in SX please! Gas debate - computer is 4mpg high. With math I get 38 each tank in 70/30 hwy+. Comp says 41-43. Forget ECO use manumatic in city. Hwy keep under 75 with steady foot. Don't drive like a moron and you can get good gas mileage. Comp reads 403 at fill up. I get btw 330 and 360 per tank. 6K miles so far, hope to get over 40 after break in.
Favorite Features
-Proximity Key -Power folding mirrors -LEDs all around - but Kia, why no daytime runners like on the Sportage? -Nav, voice activated stuff -Heated seats -Moonroof -Warranties -Easy access oil filter - Thanks!
Suggested Improvements
-Engine is pretty buzzy over 3000rpm -1st gear is geared too low. I always start off from second using manumatic and it's plenty. -It could have a little more cargo space -Make manual available in higher trims like competitors (almost bought a Sonic due to that) -Offer front LEDs as daytime running lights for US models like the Europeans and Canadians already have - should be easy enough.
By mattman44
on 08/23/12 06:37 AM (PDT)

For those who are interested I have done the perceived impossible (as far as other posts go). At 7100 miles on the ODO my last tank of gas at 9.1 gallons of regular allowed me 367.5 miles of daily commute/local errands over 6 days. To save you the trouble of doing the math that works out to 40.38 miles per gallon. I want to stress that this was NOT straight highway driving. My summer commute is mixed driving. I did not cause any accidents nor did I ever get honked at. I drove normally for me but I will admit the weather conditions were perfect. Like I stated in my review the computer mpg average overestimated me at 43.9 as it always does. I think I can actually achieve a little bit more. I had a case and half of leftover oil from my Versa. I was using 5W30 (Mobil 1 synthetic). Rio manual says to use 5W20 which is thinner and also a "claim" for better mileage. Since I still have leftever 5W30 I used that for my first Rio oil change. I'm going to switch back to 5W20 synthetic on the next to see if there is any bump in mileage. The moral of the story is EPA window sticker can be achieved on a daily commute in this car (with real math, NOT the computer).

By btatr
on 08/25/12 18:02 PM (PDT)

Take this for what it's worth but Motor Week's Master Mechanic, Pat Goss, stressed for years that using a weight of oil NOT recommended by the manufacturer is a huge mistake. He said the manufacturer spends millions of dollars ascertaining the best weight of oil for that specific engine and they know what's best. In addition, he claims that cars using 5W-20 oil have a smaller path to travel through so that's one of the primary reason they use a thinner weight oil. Finally, in the case of a car that comes with a recommendation for 5W-20, you do NOT get better protection with a thicker weight oil such as 5W-30. Please feel free to research Pat Goss and read exactly what he wrote because I'm summarizing articles he wrote a few years ago. Obviously I don't remember exactly what he said word for word but I think the above is fairly accurate.

By btatr
on 08/27/12 06:51 AM (PDT)

I found the comments from Pat Goss. By the way, most oil damage is in the first 10 seconds after starting so you want oil to circulate as rapidly as possible. Hence, a thinner oil is better. Pat Goss said, " Thicker oil does not give better protection. Thicker oil is simply harder to push through an engine. Thicker oils are also slower to circulate through an engine both at start-up and while driving. This is critical because the radiator in a car contributes about 60% of the total cooling ability"