All I wanted & more
By davedito on
2012 Kia Rio LX 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)
I purchased my '12 Rio 5 LX one year ago last month...almost 27,000 miles...and I could not be happier. A month after I bought it (at 2,000 miles), I drove from the Hill Country to Joshua Tree NP in southrn California, about 2,400 miles round trip. At 80mph, I averaged 35mph. Not what the sticker said for highway mileage, but they didn't test at those speeds, either. Sine then, I' driven to Caprock Canyons, Angel Peak (NM), and Myrtle Beach, SC (averaged 40mpg at 70mph). I just love driving this thing. If you're not getting decent mileage, you must be doing something wrong. Seriously wrong.
Favorite Features
The new body styling is a vast improvement over previous models, and the electric power sterring is nice. 4-wheel ABS disc brakes and traction control are a big plus, too. Steering wheel mounted radio controls are cool, and the glove box is huge.
Suggested Improvements
I found the seat to be a bit hard at first, but it's breaking in. And the left foot rest could be set back a few more inches. My biggest complaint (if you want to call it that) is the spongy throttle response. At 138hp, with a 6 speed stick, this little car should *move*. I'll see how well it does with the clutch disconnect unplugged. I'm running an open filter, too, so it can breathe better. The dealer should have a computer flash that improves performance. It could use a center console armrest as well, and a spare tire (instead of that fix-a-flat kit).