Used 2012 Kia Rio Sedan Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Kia Rio Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rio model:

good for me good for you
By John Farrell

2012 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

This is a real good value

electricity went completely out
By Kiara

2012 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

I just bout a used 2012 Kia rio lx like three months ago. Everything is nice ok and dependable for the most part. However the electricity went out in my car. Like for real. No headlights, taillights, radio, bright lights, dome light, key ignition circle, dashboard lights/signals came on. It didn't start or anything. Then the locks and windows didn't work. I tried to lock the doors with the key alarm and that still didn't work. So I just let it sit for awhile then came back to it. It started up and lights came on like nothing ever happened. What the heck went wrong? Is this going to be a reoccurring incident?

Give the Rio a chance !
By Brad R

2012 Kia Rio Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

I've had my 2012 Kia Rio EX with the convenience package (back up camera, indicators on the mirror, touch screen display) bought it with 5 miles now has an outstanding 86,000 miles. In the summer I average 35mpg usually in the winter it drops to about 28 unfortunately. I'm still on the original factory brakes which I do need to replace asap, had a problem at 10k with evap sensor which dealer replaced at no cost even gave us a free lender for a week while they waited for part. At 80k a clack happened upon acceleration, pinging caused timing to jump kia dealer fixed with no problem and at no cost even with the system update being expired, however car still pings like crazy upon acceleration. The passenger seat sits really low, I can't sit passenger in my car and I feel bad for my passengers. Resale value is absolutely terrible for this car however. It's been a great car, and the warranty is amazing.

KIA RIO PINGING BAD?USE PREMIUM GAS --ECO MODE OFF!
By worknman

2012 Kia Rio Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

Our Kia developed a severe pinging issue running regular gas especially with the ECO mode on.

The Kia Forum website states that Kia is running a series of ecm ( engine control computer ) software patches to solve this issue.

Many people on that forum have had the patches done and these patches have largely only helped for a few weeks before the bad pinging came back.

I finally decided that I didn't want to destroy my engine no matter how 'great' the Kia warranty supposedly is.

I started using PREMIUM - NAME BRAND GAS AND TURNED THE ECO MODE OFF.

After four gas tanks full of this, our Kia is running and shifting better and smoother then it ever did new.

more below-

This tells me that our little Kia Rio 5 was never designed to use regular gas. I STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU RUN BRAND NAME PREMIUM GAS WITH THE ECO MODE OFF AT ALL TIMES IF YOUR MOTOR STARTS TO PING. You can still use the cruise control set points I mentioned in my review below to save some gas but LEAVE THE ECO MODE OFF AND USE PREMIUM GAS ONLY. Our Kia(64000 miles) is still a beautiful, well built car. A new set of Continental Eco Contact tires inflated to 40 psi cold and our Kia is also much safer in the rain and snow as well. You cannot believe the difference five tanks of name brand premium gas with the eco mode off will make in how this car runs. more below-

The gas mileage will not improve unless you keep your foot out of it. We need it to last at least two hundred thousand miles. Now, filling it with name brand premium gas, with the eco mode off and using Kia maintenance parts ( air, cabin, oil filters and bolt washers) I buy at the dealership, this Kia should go that far with ease. I am just glad that we have the last bit of information we need to get this car to two hundred thousand miles. It won't be cheap but it will be much cheaper then numerous wasted trips to the Kia dealership and possibly burning the valves out of the motor using regular gas. I hope this new info helps. God Bless You All.

Great Gas Mileage. Priced to high.
By larrytauch

2012 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

The New KIA RIO is a eye catcher. We averaged 37 MPG around our Town. On the Highway we got 42.3 MPG, and it wasn't a Hybrid. Front Passenger Seat is mounted to low. Drivers Seat was fine with manual height adjustment. If you need Power leave the ECO button off. If you want Great Gas Mileage leave the ECO button engaged! We have had our KIA RIO LX Sedan for 21 mths. Parts are mostly only available at the Dealer! Parts are very expensive!

Appearance, and MPG 38 City, 42.3 Highway!

Put a height adjuster on Passenger side.