2012 Kia Rio Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rio model:
KIA RIO PINGING BAD?USE PREMIUM GAS --ECO MODE OFF!
By worknman on 03/18/14 23:41 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Rio Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

Our Kia developed a severe pinging issue running regular gas especially with the ECO mode on. The Kia Forum website states that Kia is running a series of ecm ( engine control computer ) software patches to solve this issue. Many people on that forum have had the patches done and these patches have largely only helped for a few weeks before the bad pinging came back. I finally decided that I didn't want to destroy my engine no matter how 'great' the Kia warranty supposedly is. I started using PREMIUM - NAME BRAND GAS AND TURNED THE ECO MODE OFF. After four gas tanks full of this, our Kia is running and shifting better and smoother then it ever did new. more below-

Great Gas Mileage. Priced to high.
By larrytauch on 01/21/14 18:42 PM (PST)

2012 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

The New KIA RIO is a eye catcher. We averaged 37 MPG around our Town. On the Highway we got 42.3 MPG, and it wasn't a Hybrid. Front Passenger Seat is mounted to low. Drivers Seat was fine with manual height adjustment. If you need Power leave the ECO button off. If you want Great Gas Mileage leave the ECO button engaged! We have had our KIA RIO LX Sedan for 21 mths. Parts are mostly only available at the Dealer! Parts are very expensive!

Short on MPG promised
By lholt on 01/06/13 18:36 PM (PST)

2012 Kia Rio Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

Had the Rio hatchback for one year. Never came close to the 40 MPG. I drive 60 miles a day and average about 34. This driving at about 65 mph. The car ride was noisy until I bought some good tires. The car is peppy and keeps up with traffic. I now have 16000 miles on the car and haven't had any problems.

Dont trust Kia
By jr66 on 11/06/12 05:47 AM (PST)

2012 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

With the release of downgraded MPG ratings, this vehicle is not worth the price. The electronics in the car are cheap. Interior panels are showing wear after less than 7000 miles. My car is two shades of red with panels not matching.

This is really just an update
By talanj on 10/19/12 04:45 AM (PDT)

2012 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

I've have a 2012 sedan and I was getting around 32 mpg. I've now got about 12k miles on the car in 6 months. I've had 1 minor issue. At about 11.5k mile the CE light came on. I took it to the dealer and they said it needed a software update. That did fix the CE. I've gone through a couple tanks of gas since and It does seem that my MPG is up a few miles per gallon. All and all it's a nice little car, looks good and cruises along pretty good.

One Great Car
By beachyork1 on 06/05/12 23:46 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Rio Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

This is my second Kia, my first being a 2007 Kia Optima, I was so impressed with the reliabiluty I purchased my second. The Rio is everything I expected and more. Very smooth, well built and a tremondous amount of features, many of which are not even offered in the compact class, nevermind subcompact. The gas milage estimates hold true for me. Normal in town city driving get me 30-32. I recently drove to boston from southern maine and filled the tank upon leaving. I drove 90 miles and then filled up again, used 2.3 gallons of gas for a mpg of 39.1. I consistenly drove at about 65mph. I have read all of the reviews and am baffled by the low gas milage some posters report.

Like the car but gas mileage is not there
By talanj on 05/27/12 15:15 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

Good little car. Great features. Good price. Good warranty. Good dealer service. Car scoots along good on the highway. By far the best looking car in the class.

Fun to drive, good MPG, Inexpensive
By shawnmh on 03/16/12 00:05 AM (PDT)

2012 Kia Rio Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car new to replace my 91' Imperial and I'm averaging 33 (70%/30% C/H) mpg at the pump and I'm loving it. Although the ride isn't the smoothest, it's definitely better than many others I've driven in this class. When you turn the ECO setting off, you get a significant boost in power and throttle response. Handles great in the city, but acts like a small car would on the interstate. I love the SportShift, although not the quickest shifts, it is a blast through curvy roads. The high beams illuminate very well as do the regular lights. Steering has good feel and the car is very nimble up to about 45 when the electric steering starts to show. Design cues from Audi shows.

Best bang for your buck EVER!
By miketill18 on 02/27/12 20:41 PM (PST)

2012 Kia Rio Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

Fun to drive! Peppy engine! 35.8 MPG's mixed driving. Awesome UVO system and stylish. What more could you want?

2012 Kia Rio SX Sedan
By d1g1t007 on 02/15/12 18:35 PM (PST)

2012 Kia Rio Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

I needed to get a new daily commuter car as I drive over 70 highway miles daily. Look at what you get from Toyota, Honda, Nissan in this same segment and compare all the features. I went to each dealer, Toyota had a sticker price increase of $1500 "market adjusted value" on the Corolla! Nonsense! I wanted something that would get good gas mileage (+36mpg), holds a couple golf bags and more in the trunk, and if needed, my family of 4 when we're not in the sweet minivan. This car has extreme value at a low price... less than $18K out the door. You can electronically fold in the heated side mirrors, which have LED turn signals. The front lights have LED markers and the rear tail lights are all LED. Engine has the most horsepower in the segment and is direct injection technology. Big 17 inch wheels on the ground, USB port on radio which is built by Microsoft UVO and I could go on and on for the features. You will see many of these features only in higher segment cars. Japan auto makers are becoming dated fast with their features and technology and are overpriced for their value in today's market. KIA shares many of their platforms now with Hyundai and the quality of their build has dramatically improved with the RIO. I have been very satisfied for the first 1200 miles. If you are looking for good gas mileage, good trunk space, great features, LED lights aplenty, etc... do not overlook this car and forget completely about KIA in 2008. In 2012 they have transformed light years ahead of the competition.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Kia Rio Sedan in VA is:

$149 per month*