Used 2012 Kia Rio LX Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Kia Rio - Consumer Reviews

2012 Kia Rio Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Rio model:

All I wanted & more
By davedito

2012 Kia Rio Hatchback LX 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased my '12 Rio 5 LX one year ago last month...almost 27,000 miles...and I could not be happier. A month after I bought it (at 2,000 miles), I drove from the Hill Country to Joshua Tree NP in southrn California, about 2,400 miles round trip. At 80mph, I averaged 35mph. Not what the sticker said for highway mileage, but they didn't test at those speeds, either. Sine then, I' driven to Caprock Canyons, Angel Peak (NM), and Myrtle Beach, SC (averaged 40mpg at 70mph). I just love driving this thing. If you're not getting decent mileage, you must be doing something wrong. Seriously wrong.

Favorite Features

The new body styling is a vast improvement over previous models, and the electric power sterring is nice. 4-wheel ABS disc brakes and traction control are a big plus, too. Steering wheel mounted radio controls are cool, and the glove box is huge.

Suggested Improvements

I found the seat to be a bit hard at first, but it's breaking in. And the left foot rest could be set back a few more inches. My biggest complaint (if you want to call it that) is the spongy throttle response. At 138hp, with a 6 speed stick, this little car should *move*. I'll see how well it does with the clutch disconnect unplugged. I'm running an open filter, too, so it can breathe better. The dealer should have a computer flash that improves performance. It could use a center console armrest as well, and a spare tire (instead of that fix-a-flat kit).

Great car BUT, MPG not as expected
By auntkatie24

2012 Kia Rio Hatchback LX 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

i love my 2012 Rio5 SX Manual trans, however the Est. Fuel Economy hasn't come close to meeting what Kia says it does. It doesn't cost much to fill up, haven't gone over $30 yet, but I fill up once a week and if I fill up at 1/4 tank I am lucky if I have 200 miles on my tank. It estimates around 350 till empty when I fill up. I am a very reserved driver since I bought this so I can get as much out of it as I can so I do not "hot rod" it. the gauge that shows me how much MPG I am getting says I am getting routinely, 28-30MPG but if that were true I should be able to get atleast 300 miles to a tank and I am not even reaching that. Otherwise I love my car! Great options, good looking, runs good

Favorite Features

GPS, Heated Seats, Backup Camera, Sirius Sat Radio, automatic folding mirrors, smart key, lock and unlock button on door handle so my smart key can always stay in my purse which means no fumbling around when your hands are full. Bluetooth tech is handy. Sunroof is great. Stll only down fall that I wouuld like to stress is don't count on getting 30-40 mpg, the car gauge says you are getting it, but the numbers dont match up when its time for your next fuel up.

Suggested Improvements

For paying $20,000 for my car I am disappointed with not getting the anticipated mpg's. Especially in a car that is so compact and light. I would expect way more out of it. Even with the Ecoboost on all the time it is not very good so I would recommend either changing that in the specs on the car so people don't buy it and get disappointed, or improve the car so that it does get the mpg's that is stated by the manufacturer. Otherwise I really can't find anything I would improve. Don't buy this car if you have a family and car seats and whatnot because it is a smaller and more compact car that is meant more for people without children who don't need a ton of room.