2012 Kia Rio Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rio model:
Disappointment!
By commuter12 on 05/11/13 09:41 AM (PDT)

2012 Kia Rio Hatchback EX 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

My 12 Rio5 has 37k highway miles. The car has been a total disappointment. The car has received road blast and rusted after the past 2 winters. Trim inside has just fallen down due to disappearing clips. "Leather" steering wheel delaminated. Vent fan bearings going. Tires were garbage and mileage was not as advertised. The car was a real waste of money. Needless to say, I will be at the dealership again next week. Save yourself the hassle and stay away from these Kia beauties.

All I wanted & more
By davedito on 11/17/12 03:00 AM (PST)

2012 Kia Rio Hatchback LX 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased my '12 Rio 5 LX one year ago last month...almost 27,000 miles...and I could not be happier. A month after I bought it (at 2,000 miles), I drove from the Hill Country to Joshua Tree NP in southrn California, about 2,400 miles round trip. At 80mph, I averaged 35mph. Not what the sticker said for highway mileage, but they didn't test at those speeds, either. Sine then, I' driven to Caprock Canyons, Angel Peak (NM), and Myrtle Beach, SC (averaged 40mpg at 70mph). I just love driving this thing. If you're not getting decent mileage, you must be doing something wrong. Seriously wrong.

High MPG Driving Method-2012 Kia Rio 5 EX
By worknman on 11/03/12 20:18 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Rio Hatchback EX 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

1.TURN ECO BUTTON ON AND LEAVE IT ON---2.PUSH THE GAS PEDAL SLOWLY-sudden pushing of the gas pedal turns off the ECO software and it stays off for minutes---3.when driving through the throttle dead spot from 20 to 40 miles per hour-PUSH THE THROTTLE DOWN SLOWLY UNTIL THE TRANSMISSION DOWNSHIFTS-then simply hold that throttle position-let the transmission pull the car up the hill---4.USE THE CRUISE CONTROL AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE-the Kia C-C is excellent but you must set it right to get the most out of it---USE THE 2 AND 7 RULE-always set your cruise control at mph numbers that end in a 2 or a 7-NEVER 0 OR 5!---5.your best highway mpg will happen at 62 MPH SET ON CRUISE CONTROL-SEE FAV-FEATURES

The Kia Rio SX is not what you want
By sumafluma on 10/10/12 08:57 AM (PDT)

2012 Kia Rio Hatchback SX 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

I bought the Kia Rio SX automatic thinking it would be something that would save me a lot of money, however, it's been nothing but a disappointment. The mileage is terrible. I live in a rural area, nice long windy roads, no stops, no traffic. Using it's "city" mileage reference, I get 24-26 in the city, on the highway I average a solid 29. I'm an old guy and I drive with a light foot. So far this car has over 20k on it and the gas mileage has not improved. You can see where kia tried to make it fuel efficent by limited weight, but it equates to cheap materials: cheap plastic, chinsy seating material that rips. Don't buy this car. It has been my biggest regret. Get a Fit.

I'm Happy...
By mattman44 on 08/10/12 09:45 AM (PDT)

2012 Kia Rio Hatchback SX 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

If you're looking for an SX with premium pkg, GOOD LUCK! There were 8 available east of Kansas when I looked. Traveled 350mi by train to get it. Features for price can't be beat. Things laid out well and user friendly. Smaller in back but bigger in front than Versa but I'd prefer the styling to the smaller space. I hate the transmission. Manual in SX please! Gas debate - computer is 4mpg high. With math I get 38 each tank in 70/30 hwy+. Comp says 41-43. Forget ECO use manumatic in city. Hwy keep under 75 with steady foot. Don't drive like a moron and you can get good gas mileage. Comp reads 403 at fill up. I get btw 330 and 360 per tank. 6K miles so far, hope to get over 40 after break in.

Great car BUT, MPG not as expected
By auntkatie24 on 07/25/12 16:55 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Rio Hatchback LX 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

i love my 2012 Rio5 SX Manual trans, however the Est. Fuel Economy hasn't come close to meeting what Kia says it does. It doesn't cost much to fill up, haven't gone over $30 yet, but I fill up once a week and if I fill up at 1/4 tank I am lucky if I have 200 miles on my tank. It estimates around 350 till empty when I fill up. I am a very reserved driver since I bought this so I can get as much out of it as I can so I do not "hot rod" it. the gauge that shows me how much MPG I am getting says I am getting routinely, 28-30MPG but if that were true I should be able to get atleast 300 miles to a tank and I am not even reaching that. Otherwise I love my car! Great options, good looking, runs good

5,000 Mile Review
By vod on 04/07/12 14:28 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Rio Hatchback EX 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

We purchased an EX automatic to use primarily as a local runabout and occasional highway runs. Decision came down to the Kia or Honda Fit. Chose the Kia based on better responsiveness, quieter ride, interior comfort, interior design and lengthy warranty. Mileage has matched EPA estimates. Exterior styling is such a personal issue that no comment is necessary.

Terrible Gas Mileage in a Well Built Car
By worknman on 04/04/12 19:44 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Rio Hatchback EX 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

In Dec 2011,my wife and I bought a brand new Kia Rio 5Dr Ex in red. The people at the Kia dealership were great and practically one of the only reasons we bought the car when we did besides the supposedly excellent gas mileage. Unfortunately,this car get barely 30 miles per gallon hwy and 26 miles per a gallon city. And the great six speed auto transmission downshifts two gears on even the smallest hill,making the cruise control practically unusable for gas mileage runs. Our Kia is extremely well built and attractive. It is fun to drive too. But we really needed it to make the gas mileage Kia said it would. Now we will get rid of it to buy a 5 speed Toyota Yaris

Beyond Expectations!
By commuter_dave on 03/24/12 21:42 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Rio Hatchback SX 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

Having owned mostly German Cars in the past, trading in my 2000 ML for the 2012 Rio SX was initally met with trepidation. I was tired of spending over $500 per month on gas just for communting so I thought I would buy a car with the best fuel economy in its class. I am happy to report that the 2012 Rio SX has far exceeded my expectations. Not only, did this hatchback come with good looks, but the list of standard features should give Mercedes-Benz some cause for concern and to check out what Kia is doing these days. I can honestly say that there is NOTHING that I miss from my ML, except constantly being at the pump, and there is in fact more features here than my Wife's 2005 E500!

Great milage
By georgeannv on 03/14/12 12:58 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Rio Hatchback SX 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

I drive a total of 60 miles a day to work and back home. I travel both on highway and city. I use the ECO feature when dealing with traffic and have on the average (depending on where I buy my gas) get 34mpg. I have noticed with lower grade stations, the perfomance is less. The pickup while using ECO is a bit regulated but with a quick click, you can turn it off and get the punch you need to pull quickly ahead. I replaced this car with a 2007 PT Cruiser which had horrible gas milage. I find the instrument panel great with the RIO SX model and love the rear screen view due to the limited viewing of the rear window. I would definitely recommend the Rio to other buyers. It is fun to drive!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Kia Rio Hatchback in VA is:

$155 per month*