Used 2012 Kia Rio Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Kia Rio - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rio model:

Disappointment!
By commuter12

2012 Kia Rio Hatchback EX 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

My 12 Rio5 has 37k highway miles. The car has been a total disappointment. The car has received road blast and rusted after the past 2 winters. Trim inside has just fallen down due to disappearing clips. "Leather" steering wheel delaminated. Vent fan bearings going. Tires were garbage and mileage was not as advertised. The car was a real waste of money. Needless to say, I will be at the dealership again next week. Save yourself the hassle and stay away from these Kia beauties.

Favorite Features

Hands free calling is about it.

Suggested Improvements

Make the car out of metal that wasn't rejected for razor blades?!?!? Maybe a QA on the production line?

All I wanted & more
By davedito

2012 Kia Rio Hatchback LX 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased my '12 Rio 5 LX one year ago last month...almost 27,000 miles...and I could not be happier. A month after I bought it (at 2,000 miles), I drove from the Hill Country to Joshua Tree NP in southrn California, about 2,400 miles round trip. At 80mph, I averaged 35mph. Not what the sticker said for highway mileage, but they didn't test at those speeds, either. Sine then, I' driven to Caprock Canyons, Angel Peak (NM), and Myrtle Beach, SC (averaged 40mpg at 70mph). I just love driving this thing. If you're not getting decent mileage, you must be doing something wrong. Seriously wrong.

Favorite Features

The new body styling is a vast improvement over previous models, and the electric power sterring is nice. 4-wheel ABS disc brakes and traction control are a big plus, too. Steering wheel mounted radio controls are cool, and the glove box is huge.

Suggested Improvements

I found the seat to be a bit hard at first, but it's breaking in. And the left foot rest could be set back a few more inches. My biggest complaint (if you want to call it that) is the spongy throttle response. At 138hp, with a 6 speed stick, this little car should *move*. I'll see how well it does with the clutch disconnect unplugged. I'm running an open filter, too, so it can breathe better. The dealer should have a computer flash that improves performance. It could use a center console armrest as well, and a spare tire (instead of that fix-a-flat kit).

High MPG Driving Method-2012 Kia Rio 5 EX
By worknman

2012 Kia Rio Hatchback EX 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

1.TURN ECO BUTTON ON AND LEAVE IT ON---2.PUSH THE GAS PEDAL SLOWLY-sudden pushing of the gas pedal turns off the ECO software and it stays off for minutes---3.when driving through the throttle dead spot from 20 to 40 miles per hour-PUSH THE THROTTLE DOWN SLOWLY UNTIL THE TRANSMISSION DOWNSHIFTS-then simply hold that throttle position-let the transmission pull the car up the hill---4.USE THE CRUISE CONTROL AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE-the Kia C-C is excellent but you must set it right to get the most out of it---USE THE 2 AND 7 RULE-always set your cruise control at mph numbers that end in a 2 or a 7-NEVER 0 OR 5!---5.your best highway mpg will happen at 62 MPH SET ON CRUISE CONTROL-SEE FAV-FEATURES

Favorite Features

6.HERE ARE YOUR CRUISE CONTROL MPH SET POINTS-22-27-32-37-42---47 (my favorite)---52-57---62 (my highway top dog mpg number)---67 (my late for work still good mpg number)---72-77 (watch the mpg tumble)---7.I use more psi cold then Kia recommends in my tires-40 psi cold-I've used higher psi cold numbers in my tires for thirty years with no issues-just lower them slightly when winter comes-car drives sharper,and rolls on better too,tires seem to last longer as well-you are soley respondsible if you decide to use this tip-NOT KIA.KUMHO OR ME-note-wet traction will be slightly less but you will feel that through the steering wheel much better and sooner too. SEE SUGGESTED IMPROVEMENTS

Suggested Improvements

8.USE THE AVERAGE MPH DISPLAY ON YOUR SPEEDOMETER-press miles A-then miles B-then range-then AVG MPG-you can then watch the mileage go up or down as an avg to see if your driving is hurting you mileage.---9.Travel as light as you can and make sure when you change your oil that when it becomes necessary you change that air filter-a dirty air filter will kill your mileage.---9.The cruise control will never turn off the ECO setting UNLIKE YOUR FOOT-USE THE CRUISE CONTROL.-----Doing all of this I am averaging 37 to 41.5 miles per gallon in my Kia-I am much happier with the car now.Yes,I stay in the right lane but I am using much less gas now.Kia built a great car and I can afford to keep it now.

The Kia Rio SX is not what you want
By sumafluma

2012 Kia Rio Hatchback SX 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

I bought the Kia Rio SX automatic thinking it would be something that would save me a lot of money, however, it's been nothing but a disappointment. The mileage is terrible. I live in a rural area, nice long windy roads, no stops, no traffic. Using it's "city" mileage reference, I get 24-26 in the city, on the highway I average a solid 29. I'm an old guy and I drive with a light foot. So far this car has over 20k on it and the gas mileage has not improved. You can see where kia tried to make it fuel efficent by limited weight, but it equates to cheap materials: cheap plastic, chinsy seating material that rips. Don't buy this car. It has been my biggest regret. Get a Fit.

Favorite Features

Interior is designed well.

Suggested Improvements

Don't lie about the MPG, use a better engine, better transmission and overpricing cheap vehicles.

I'm Happy...
By mattman44

2012 Kia Rio Hatchback SX 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

If you're looking for an SX with premium pkg, GOOD LUCK! There were 8 available east of Kansas when I looked. Traveled 350mi by train to get it. Features for price can't be beat. Things laid out well and user friendly. Smaller in back but bigger in front than Versa but I'd prefer the styling to the smaller space. I hate the transmission. Manual in SX please! Gas debate - computer is 4mpg high. With math I get 38 each tank in 70/30 hwy+. Comp says 41-43. Forget ECO use manumatic in city. Hwy keep under 75 with steady foot. Don't drive like a moron and you can get good gas mileage. Comp reads 403 at fill up. I get btw 330 and 360 per tank. 6K miles so far, hope to get over 40 after break in.

Favorite Features

-Proximity Key -Power folding mirrors -LEDs all around - but Kia, why no daytime runners like on the Sportage? -Nav, voice activated stuff -Heated seats -Moonroof -Warranties -Easy access oil filter - Thanks!

Suggested Improvements

-Engine is pretty buzzy over 3000rpm -1st gear is geared too low. I always start off from second using manumatic and it's plenty. -It could have a little more cargo space -Make manual available in higher trims like competitors (almost bought a Sonic due to that) -Offer front LEDs as daytime running lights for US models like the Europeans and Canadians already have - should be easy enough.