2012 Kia Rio - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rio model:
KIA RIO PINGING BAD?USE PREMIUM GAS --ECO MODE OFF!
By worknman on 03/18/14 23:41 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Rio EX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

Our Kia developed a severe pinging issue running regular gas especially with the ECO mode on. The Kia Forum website states that Kia is running a series of ecm ( engine control computer ) software patches to solve this issue. Many people on that forum have had the patches done and these patches have largely only helped for a few weeks before the bad pinging came back. I finally decided that I didn't want to destroy my engine no matter how 'great' the Kia warranty supposedly is. I started using PREMIUM - NAME BRAND GAS AND TURNED THE ECO MODE OFF. After four gas tanks full of this, our Kia is running and shifting better and smoother then it ever did new. more below-

Great Gas Mileage. Priced to high.
By larrytauch on 01/21/14 18:42 PM (PST)

2012 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

The New KIA RIO is a eye catcher. We averaged 37 MPG around our Town. On the Highway we got 42.3 MPG, and it wasn't a Hybrid. Front Passenger Seat is mounted to low. Drivers Seat was fine with manual height adjustment. If you need Power leave the ECO button off. If you want Great Gas Mileage leave the ECO button engaged! We have had our KIA RIO LX Sedan for 21 mths. Parts are mostly only available at the Dealer! Parts are very expensive!

Disappointment!
By commuter12 on 05/11/13 09:41 AM (PDT)

2012 Kia Rio EX 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

My 12 Rio5 has 37k highway miles. The car has been a total disappointment. The car has received road blast and rusted after the past 2 winters. Trim inside has just fallen down due to disappearing clips. "Leather" steering wheel delaminated. Vent fan bearings going. Tires were garbage and mileage was not as advertised. The car was a real waste of money. Needless to say, I will be at the dealership again next week. Save yourself the hassle and stay away from these Kia beauties.

Short on MPG promised
By lholt on 01/06/13 18:36 PM (PST)

2012 Kia Rio EX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

Had the Rio hatchback for one year. Never came close to the 40 MPG. I drive 60 miles a day and average about 34. This driving at about 65 mph. The car ride was noisy until I bought some good tires. The car is peppy and keeps up with traffic. I now have 16000 miles on the car and haven't had any problems.

All I wanted & more
By davedito on 11/17/12 03:00 AM (PST)

2012 Kia Rio LX 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased my '12 Rio 5 LX one year ago last month...almost 27,000 miles...and I could not be happier. A month after I bought it (at 2,000 miles), I drove from the Hill Country to Joshua Tree NP in southrn California, about 2,400 miles round trip. At 80mph, I averaged 35mph. Not what the sticker said for highway mileage, but they didn't test at those speeds, either. Sine then, I' driven to Caprock Canyons, Angel Peak (NM), and Myrtle Beach, SC (averaged 40mpg at 70mph). I just love driving this thing. If you're not getting decent mileage, you must be doing something wrong. Seriously wrong.

Dont trust Kia
By jr66 on 11/06/12 05:47 AM (PST)

2012 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

With the release of downgraded MPG ratings, this vehicle is not worth the price. The electronics in the car are cheap. Interior panels are showing wear after less than 7000 miles. My car is two shades of red with panels not matching.

High MPG Driving Method-2012 Kia Rio 5 EX
By worknman on 11/03/12 20:18 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Rio EX 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

1.TURN ECO BUTTON ON AND LEAVE IT ON---2.PUSH THE GAS PEDAL SLOWLY-sudden pushing of the gas pedal turns off the ECO software and it stays off for minutes---3.when driving through the throttle dead spot from 20 to 40 miles per hour-PUSH THE THROTTLE DOWN SLOWLY UNTIL THE TRANSMISSION DOWNSHIFTS-then simply hold that throttle position-let the transmission pull the car up the hill---4.USE THE CRUISE CONTROL AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE-the Kia C-C is excellent but you must set it right to get the most out of it---USE THE 2 AND 7 RULE-always set your cruise control at mph numbers that end in a 2 or a 7-NEVER 0 OR 5!---5.your best highway mpg will happen at 62 MPH SET ON CRUISE CONTROL-SEE FAV-FEATURES

This is really just an update
By talanj on 10/19/12 04:45 AM (PDT)

2012 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

I've have a 2012 sedan and I was getting around 32 mpg. I've now got about 12k miles on the car in 6 months. I've had 1 minor issue. At about 11.5k mile the CE light came on. I took it to the dealer and they said it needed a software update. That did fix the CE. I've gone through a couple tanks of gas since and It does seem that my MPG is up a few miles per gallon. All and all it's a nice little car, looks good and cruises along pretty good.

The Kia Rio SX is not what you want
By sumafluma on 10/10/12 08:57 AM (PDT)

2012 Kia Rio SX 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

I bought the Kia Rio SX automatic thinking it would be something that would save me a lot of money, however, it's been nothing but a disappointment. The mileage is terrible. I live in a rural area, nice long windy roads, no stops, no traffic. Using it's "city" mileage reference, I get 24-26 in the city, on the highway I average a solid 29. I'm an old guy and I drive with a light foot. So far this car has over 20k on it and the gas mileage has not improved. You can see where kia tried to make it fuel efficent by limited weight, but it equates to cheap materials: cheap plastic, chinsy seating material that rips. Don't buy this car. It has been my biggest regret. Get a Fit.

I'm Happy...
By mattman44 on 08/10/12 09:45 AM (PDT)

2012 Kia Rio SX 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

If you're looking for an SX with premium pkg, GOOD LUCK! There were 8 available east of Kansas when I looked. Traveled 350mi by train to get it. Features for price can't be beat. Things laid out well and user friendly. Smaller in back but bigger in front than Versa but I'd prefer the styling to the smaller space. I hate the transmission. Manual in SX please! Gas debate - computer is 4mpg high. With math I get 38 each tank in 70/30 hwy+. Comp says 41-43. Forget ECO use manumatic in city. Hwy keep under 75 with steady foot. Don't drive like a moron and you can get good gas mileage. Comp reads 403 at fill up. I get btw 330 and 360 per tank. 6K miles so far, hope to get over 40 after break in.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Kia Rio in VA is:

$149 per month*