Used 2012 Kia Rio Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Kia Rio - Consumer Reviews

2012 Kia Rio

View reviews for a specific Rio model:

KIA RIO PINGING BAD?USE PREMIUM GAS --ECO MODE OFF!
By worknman

2012 Kia Rio EX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

Our Kia developed a severe pinging issue running regular gas especially with the ECO mode on. The Kia Forum website states that Kia is running a series of ecm ( engine control computer ) software patches to solve this issue. Many people on that forum have had the patches done and these patches have largely only helped for a few weeks before the bad pinging came back. I finally decided that I didn't want to destroy my engine no matter how 'great' the Kia warranty supposedly is. I started using PREMIUM - NAME BRAND GAS AND TURNED THE ECO MODE OFF. After four gas tanks full of this, our Kia is running and shifting better and smoother then it ever did new. more below-

Favorite Features

This tells me that our little Kia Rio 5 was never designed to use regular gas. I STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU RUN BRAND NAME PREMIUM GAS WITH THE ECO MODE OFF AT ALL TIMES IF YOUR MOTOR STARTS TO PING. You can still use the cruise control set points I mentioned in my review below to save some gas but LEAVE THE ECO MODE OFF AND USE PREMIUM GAS ONLY. Our Kia(64000 miles) is still a beautiful, well built car. A new set of Continental Eco Contact tires inflated to 40 psi cold and our Kia is also much safer in the rain and snow as well. You cannot believe the difference five tanks of name brand premium gas with the eco mode off will make in how this car runs. more below-

Suggested Improvements

The gas mileage will not improve unless you keep your foot out of it. We need it to last at least two hundred thousand miles. Now, filling it with name brand premium gas, with the eco mode off and using Kia maintenance parts ( air, cabin, oil filters and bolt washers) I buy at the dealership, this Kia should go that far with ease. I am just glad that we have the last bit of information we need to get this car to two hundred thousand miles. It won't be cheap but it will be much cheaper then numerous wasted trips to the Kia dealership and possibly burning the valves out of the motor using regular gas. I hope this new info helps. God Bless You All.

Great Gas Mileage. Priced to high.
By larrytauch

2012 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

The New KIA RIO is a eye catcher. We averaged 37 MPG around our Town. On the Highway we got 42.3 MPG, and it wasn't a Hybrid. Front Passenger Seat is mounted to low. Drivers Seat was fine with manual height adjustment. If you need Power leave the ECO button off. If you want Great Gas Mileage leave the ECO button engaged! We have had our KIA RIO LX Sedan for 21 mths. Parts are mostly only available at the Dealer! Parts are very expensive!

Favorite Features

Appearance, and MPG 38 City, 42.3 Highway!

Suggested Improvements

Put a height adjuster on Passenger side.

Disappointment!
By commuter12

2012 Kia Rio EX 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

My 12 Rio5 has 37k highway miles. The car has been a total disappointment. The car has received road blast and rusted after the past 2 winters. Trim inside has just fallen down due to disappearing clips. "Leather" steering wheel delaminated. Vent fan bearings going. Tires were garbage and mileage was not as advertised. The car was a real waste of money. Needless to say, I will be at the dealership again next week. Save yourself the hassle and stay away from these Kia beauties.

Favorite Features

Hands free calling is about it.

Suggested Improvements

Make the car out of metal that wasn't rejected for razor blades?!?!? Maybe a QA on the production line?

Short on MPG promised
By lholt

2012 Kia Rio EX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

Had the Rio hatchback for one year. Never came close to the 40 MPG. I drive 60 miles a day and average about 34. This driving at about 65 mph. The car ride was noisy until I bought some good tires. The car is peppy and keeps up with traffic. I now have 16000 miles on the car and haven't had any problems.

Favorite Features

Stylish look

Suggested Improvements

Upgrade the sound in the EX model.

All I wanted & more
By davedito

2012 Kia Rio LX 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased my '12 Rio 5 LX one year ago last month...almost 27,000 miles...and I could not be happier. A month after I bought it (at 2,000 miles), I drove from the Hill Country to Joshua Tree NP in southrn California, about 2,400 miles round trip. At 80mph, I averaged 35mph. Not what the sticker said for highway mileage, but they didn't test at those speeds, either. Sine then, I' driven to Caprock Canyons, Angel Peak (NM), and Myrtle Beach, SC (averaged 40mpg at 70mph). I just love driving this thing. If you're not getting decent mileage, you must be doing something wrong. Seriously wrong.

Favorite Features

The new body styling is a vast improvement over previous models, and the electric power sterring is nice. 4-wheel ABS disc brakes and traction control are a big plus, too. Steering wheel mounted radio controls are cool, and the glove box is huge.

Suggested Improvements

I found the seat to be a bit hard at first, but it's breaking in. And the left foot rest could be set back a few more inches. My biggest complaint (if you want to call it that) is the spongy throttle response. At 138hp, with a 6 speed stick, this little car should *move*. I'll see how well it does with the clutch disconnect unplugged. I'm running an open filter, too, so it can breathe better. The dealer should have a computer flash that improves performance. It could use a center console armrest as well, and a spare tire (instead of that fix-a-flat kit).