Used 2009 Kia Rio Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Kia Rio - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rio model:

Worst car purchase ever!
By mehigan

2009 Kia Rio Wagon Rio5 LX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased new. Non-stop quality issues. Windshield delaminated at 16 months and again at 48 months. Has anyone had a windshield fail with stress cracks (in exactly same spot) twice within 48 months? Radio stopped working at 30 months. Knock sensor failed 15 months. Electronic control module failed 18 months. Air bag sensor failed. Too many failures to list. I call car "Elvis" -- shake, rattle and roll! Getting in-warranty repairs done a huge hassle, tried three different dealers. Last dealer's solution was "you should buy a new car". Kia factory rep never returns calls. Once car out of warranty Kia's attitude is too bad, we are not responsible.

Favorite Features

I have never been so disappointed in a car purchase. I researched this car extensively. I wanted an inexpensive, basic commuter car with good reliability from a company which would stand behind their product. I feel Kia and this car failed both.

Suggested Improvements

Kia needs to understand that with a car with chronic quality failures they should be willing to stand behind their product. Once the car was out of warranty the only discussion I received from anyone at Kia was "it's out of warranty". Based on my experience, the fact that this car has things breaking that never should be breaking is apparently of no interest to anyone at Kia.

Very poor quality
By Randy Mizer

2009 Kia Rio Wagon Rio5 LX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

We have now had two major break downs in 8000 miles. One new transmission and one new front axle .My wife drives the car and has never drove it hard.I will never buy an other KIA , wish I hadn't bought this one.

great little car, but.....
By bigkev

2009 Kia Rio Wagon Rio5 LX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

this is our second Rio 'shopping trolley'. best value and size in it's class by far. Fuel consumption is disappointingly high and the transmission had to be replaced the morning after we got it. Fine now and these things happen. Tyres are utter crap and noisy as hell. Otherwise it's a good 'mum and pop' runaround, and provided you are patient with the lack of acceleration you sort of get attached to them. For the price and 5 year w/tee, plus low service costs it's a winner.

Favorite Features

appearance , space and seats comfort

Suggested Improvements

just fit better tyres.

Wife loves car
By Randy Mizer

2009 Kia Rio Wagon Rio5 LX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

My wife loves her Rio 5. Already had to have a new transmission put in car with 750 miles on it. Wish it had more power under the hood. Around town it is a nice little car to drive but we live in the Ga. mountains and more power under the hood would keep it from down shifting all the time. We get 30 MPG on average , not bad for where we live. If the new transmission lasts we will be happy with the car.Would have rated car better on quality and reliability if not for bad transmission.

Favorite Features

Nice looking car inside and out. Nice lay out on dash , seats are nice also. Lots of room for a small car.

Suggested Improvements

More power is needed under the hood.