Used 2009 Kia Rio Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Kia Rio Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rio model:

Will Never Buy Another Kia
By deheeren

2009 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car new in 2009 and today the cars second transmission failed. The car has 151,541 miles on it. The car has also had a coil pack put on each cylinder at least once. When the car was still under warranty the dealer flat-out refused to fix the actual issues with the car because the scheduled maintenance on the car wasn't up to date, yet the salesman never disclosed details about the warranty at time of purchase or provided literature about the warranty. CD player quit working at about 24 months Heater core issues at 30 months. Car needed realignment every 10,000 miles. Tire shop said it was a "Kia" thing. Lots of road noise on the freeway. Windshield always foggy.

Back seat folded down to give extra room in the trunk. Radio seemed to pick up far away stations at night.

KIA needs to hire better engineers and be more upfront on their warranties.

My Experience with my Kia Rio
By Inrm

2009 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car about a month ago. Everything is fine but it has a very weird squeaky noise with the rear brakes. I've taken it to different places and nobody knows whats going on with it. The car is cheap and is no luxury at all. Everything inside is very simple. Is a little bit small, but i dont care about it because i use it to commute. Fuel economy is OK. Car is very quiet on both streets and highway. Tires are a bit small. I think that what you get for the money is fair.I like my car. I just wish We could find out whats going on with the brakes.

Size of the car. design. Very simple inside. No luxury

Better radio (radios sounds bad). bigger tires. Better mpg.

Needs better gear ratio
By tony

2009 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

It gets perfect gas mileage as long as you do not get on the interstate-run 4000 rpm in 5th gear @ 80 mph-runs 3000 rpm in 5th gear @ 50 mph-needs 6 gears or different ratio for top end- accelerates fast through 1st and 2nd car is very quiet

cd player

different gear ratio

Great Affordable Commuter Vehicle
By student05

2009 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car a month ago and so far my experience with it has been great. I am a commuting college student so I was looking for something that was affordable and had good gas mileage. As far as performance goes I haven't had any problems with acceleration and it handles fairly well. The interior of the vehicle is nice looking and doesn't feel cheap. One of my favorite features is the stereo system. I had installed an aftermarket system in my previous vehicle and was thinking of doing the same with this car. After listening to it though I think I have changed my mind because it sounds great for a factory system. Also, the AUX and USB inputs are great for MP3 players.

Great mileage, Affordable, Trunk space, Interior build, Roomy for size, Stereo system with power package (tweeter speakers, steering wheel controls), AC, Power windows and locks, AUX and USB

Kia Rio 2009 LX
By jblemons

2009 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I just bought a new 2009 Kia Rio LX. I love the look and feel of this vehicle and for the size I believe it is a great buy. I am a little dissapointed with the mpg and I believe it should be getting well over 30 for how small of a vehicle it is. I believe that to be the only flaw in this vehicle. It drives well and looks sharp.

The stereo package is a great buy, I would definatly spend the extra money for the steering wheel controls though.

I believe they should look at creating an engine with better mpg.