2009 Kia Rio Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rio model:
My Experience with my Kia Rio
By Inrm on 11/02/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car about a month ago. Everything is fine but it has a very weird squeaky noise with the rear brakes. I've taken it to different places and nobody knows whats going on with it. The car is cheap and is no luxury at all. Everything inside is very simple. Is a little bit small, but i dont care about it because i use it to commute. Fuel economy is OK. Car is very quiet on both streets and highway. Tires are a bit small. I think that what you get for the money is fair.I like my car. I just wish We could find out whats going on with the brakes.

Needs better gear ratio
By tony on 07/18/10 17:13 PM (PDT)

2009 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

It gets perfect gas mileage as long as you do not get on the interstate-run 4000 rpm in 5th gear @ 80 mph-runs 3000 rpm in 5th gear @ 50 mph-needs 6 gears or different ratio for top end- accelerates fast through 1st and 2nd car is very quiet

Great Affordable Commuter Vehicle
By student05 on 07/07/10 08:24 AM (PDT)

2009 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car a month ago and so far my experience with it has been great. I am a commuting college student so I was looking for something that was affordable and had good gas mileage. As far as performance goes I haven't had any problems with acceleration and it handles fairly well. The interior of the vehicle is nice looking and doesn't feel cheap. One of my favorite features is the stereo system. I had installed an aftermarket system in my previous vehicle and was thinking of doing the same with this car. After listening to it though I think I have changed my mind because it sounds great for a factory system. Also, the AUX and USB inputs are great for MP3 players.

Kia Rio 2009 LX
By jblemons on 05/13/10 17:47 PM (PDT)

2009 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I just bought a new 2009 Kia Rio LX. I love the look and feel of this vehicle and for the size I believe it is a great buy. I am a little dissapointed with the mpg and I believe it should be getting well over 30 for how small of a vehicle it is. I believe that to be the only flaw in this vehicle. It drives well and looks sharp.

OK, for what it is.
By Bill on 10/19/09 08:44 AM (PDT)

2009 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I can find not fault with the build quality. Thinngs shut and reveal gaps are very exact. The motor in 5th gear turns much higher than I would envision for the torque and horsepower required. Needs a 6th gear.

great car
By wafa on 08/26/09 06:10 AM (PDT)

2009 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I'm so happy with my kia rio, I love it roomy, quite, and great gas saver

Needs Improvement
By jrhorner on 08/19/09 06:47 AM (PDT)

2009 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

The Rio is an excellent commuter car. However, paying 17200 for this car new with the warranty was a mistake. Purchased w/out A/C, power steering, or power options. Dealership said A/C absolutely could not be installed. The car accelerates fine as long as you are willing to rev the engine all the way up to 4000 rpms. Handles well even w/out powersteering.

Great Budget Car
By good budget car on 06/27/09 18:53 PM (PDT)

2009 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

My Kia Rio has so far been excelent as far as a purchased car. The car is a bit cheeply made. One of the few problems I experienced was when I bought my car it had a bad fuel pump but it was resolved by my dealer. The car is overall very quiet on the highway no real complaints. As far as gas with the economy the way it is Kia's are the way to go. It makes about 30 to the highway however I have experienced up to 40 to the highway. I am a college student it fits my needs as far as room.

Great First Car
By Shmork on 02/06/09 16:50 PM (PST)

2009 Kia Rio Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Many reviewers complain this car isn't powerful enough, or sporty enough and the tires are too small-the list goes on; I disagree. I have never had a problem accelerating into interstate traffic or maneuvering. The interior is surprisingly spacious (huge trunk) and quite attractive with the SX enhancements. The mileage is excellent. Yes, this is no luxury vehicle and it doesn't have impressive horsepower, but if you're shopping in the subcompact market you're not likely concerned with these factors. The drive is almost sporty and the tire size hasn't been an issue. You're not dishing out extra $ for bells and whistles and you really won't miss them. I love my new KIA for drives great and small!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Kia Rio Sedan in VA is:

$136 per month*