Used 2009 Kia Rio Consumer Reviews - 14 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Kia Rio - Consumer Reviews

2009 Kia Rio

View reviews for a specific Rio model:

Will Never Buy Another Kia
By deheeren

2009 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car new in 2009 and today the cars second transmission failed. The car has 151,541 miles on it. The car has also had a coil pack put on each cylinder at least once. When the car was still under warranty the dealer flat-out refused to fix the actual issues with the car because the scheduled maintenance on the car wasn't up to date, yet the salesman never disclosed details about the warranty at time of purchase or provided literature about the warranty. CD player quit working at about 24 months Heater core issues at 30 months. Car needed realignment every 10,000 miles. Tire shop said it was a "Kia" thing. Lots of road noise on the freeway. Windshield always foggy.

Back seat folded down to give extra room in the trunk. Radio seemed to pick up far away stations at night.

KIA needs to hire better engineers and be more upfront on their warranties.

Worst car purchase ever!
By mehigan

2009 Kia Rio Rio5 LX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased new.
Non-stop quality issues.
Windshield delaminated at 16 months and again at 48 months. Has anyone had a windshield fail with stress cracks (in exactly same spot) twice within 48 months? Radio stopped working at 30 months.
Knock sensor failed 15 months.
Electronic control module failed 18 months. Air bag sensor failed.
Too many failures to list. I call car "Elvis" -- shake, rattle and roll! Getting in-warranty repairs done a huge hassle, tried three different dealers. Last dealer's solution was "you should buy a new car".
Kia factory rep never returns calls. Once car out of warranty Kia's attitude is too bad, we are not responsible.

Follow up to previous review. It is now 2016 and car continues to be a maintenance nightmare with no support from Kia. Engine noise has become significantly loud, still very uncomfortable ride even with replaced up-graded shocks/tires. Mileage continues to decline as car ages. Lots of exterior/interior trim failures.

My Experience with my Kia Rio
By Inrm

2009 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car about a month ago. Everything is fine but it has a very weird squeaky noise with the rear brakes. I've taken it to different places and nobody knows whats going on with it. The car is cheap and is no luxury at all. Everything inside is very simple. Is a little bit small, but i dont care about it because i use it to commute. Fuel economy is OK. Car is very quiet on both streets and highway. Tires are a bit small. I think that what you get for the money is fair.I like my car. I just wish We could find out whats going on with the brakes.

Size of the car. design. Very simple inside. No luxury

Better radio (radios sounds bad). bigger tires. Better mpg.

Needs better gear ratio
By tony

2009 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

It gets perfect gas mileage as long as you do not get on the interstate-run 4000 rpm in 5th gear @ 80 mph-runs 3000 rpm in 5th gear @ 50 mph-needs 6 gears or different ratio for top end- accelerates fast through 1st and 2nd car is very quiet

cd player

different gear ratio

Great Affordable Commuter Vehicle
By student05

2009 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car a month ago and so far my experience with it has been great. I am a commuting college student so I was looking for something that was affordable and had good gas mileage. As far as performance goes I haven't had any problems with acceleration and it handles fairly well. The interior of the vehicle is nice looking and doesn't feel cheap. One of my favorite features is the stereo system. I had installed an aftermarket system in my previous vehicle and was thinking of doing the same with this car. After listening to it though I think I have changed my mind because it sounds great for a factory system. Also, the AUX and USB inputs are great for MP3 players.

Great mileage, Affordable, Trunk space, Interior build, Roomy for size, Stereo system with power package (tweeter speakers, steering wheel controls), AC, Power windows and locks, AUX and USB