2009 Kia Rio - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rio model:
Worst car purchase ever!
By mehigan on 04/27/13 10:57 AM (PDT)

2009 Kia Rio Rio5 LX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased new. Non-stop quality issues. Windshield delaminated at 16 months and again at 48 months. Has anyone had a windshield fail with stress cracks (in exactly same spot) twice within 48 months? Radio stopped working at 30 months. Knock sensor failed 15 months. Electronic control module failed 18 months. Air bag sensor failed. Too many failures to list. I call car "Elvis" -- shake, rattle and roll! Getting in-warranty repairs done a huge hassle, tried three different dealers. Last dealer's solution was "you should buy a new car". Kia factory rep never returns calls. Once car out of warranty Kia's attitude is too bad, we are not responsible.

My Experience with my Kia Rio
By Inrm on 11/02/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car about a month ago. Everything is fine but it has a very weird squeaky noise with the rear brakes. I've taken it to different places and nobody knows whats going on with it. The car is cheap and is no luxury at all. Everything inside is very simple. Is a little bit small, but i dont care about it because i use it to commute. Fuel economy is OK. Car is very quiet on both streets and highway. Tires are a bit small. I think that what you get for the money is fair.I like my car. I just wish We could find out whats going on with the brakes.

Needs better gear ratio
By tony on 07/18/10 17:13 PM (PDT)

2009 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

It gets perfect gas mileage as long as you do not get on the interstate-run 4000 rpm in 5th gear @ 80 mph-runs 3000 rpm in 5th gear @ 50 mph-needs 6 gears or different ratio for top end- accelerates fast through 1st and 2nd car is very quiet

Great Affordable Commuter Vehicle
By student05 on 07/07/10 08:24 AM (PDT)

2009 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car a month ago and so far my experience with it has been great. I am a commuting college student so I was looking for something that was affordable and had good gas mileage. As far as performance goes I haven't had any problems with acceleration and it handles fairly well. The interior of the vehicle is nice looking and doesn't feel cheap. One of my favorite features is the stereo system. I had installed an aftermarket system in my previous vehicle and was thinking of doing the same with this car. After listening to it though I think I have changed my mind because it sounds great for a factory system. Also, the AUX and USB inputs are great for MP3 players.

Very poor quality
By Randy Mizer on 07/05/10 15:43 PM (PDT)

2009 Kia Rio Rio5 LX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

We have now had two major break downs in 8000 miles. One new transmission and one new front axle .My wife drives the car and has never drove it hard.I will never buy an other KIA , wish I hadn't bought this one.

Kia Rio 2009 LX
By jblemons on 05/13/10 17:47 PM (PDT)

2009 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I just bought a new 2009 Kia Rio LX. I love the look and feel of this vehicle and for the size I believe it is a great buy. I am a little dissapointed with the mpg and I believe it should be getting well over 30 for how small of a vehicle it is. I believe that to be the only flaw in this vehicle. It drives well and looks sharp.

great little car, but.....
By bigkev on 01/06/10 05:35 AM (PST)

2009 Kia Rio Rio5 LX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

this is our second Rio 'shopping trolley'. best value and size in it's class by far. Fuel consumption is disappointingly high and the transmission had to be replaced the morning after we got it. Fine now and these things happen. Tyres are utter crap and noisy as hell. Otherwise it's a good 'mum and pop' runaround, and provided you are patient with the lack of acceleration you sort of get attached to them. For the price and 5 year w/tee, plus low service costs it's a winner.

Wife loves car
By Randy Mizer on 11/07/09 14:26 PM (PST)

2009 Kia Rio Rio5 LX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

My wife loves her Rio 5. Already had to have a new transmission put in car with 750 miles on it. Wish it had more power under the hood. Around town it is a nice little car to drive but we live in the Ga. mountains and more power under the hood would keep it from down shifting all the time. We get 30 MPG on average , not bad for where we live. If the new transmission lasts we will be happy with the car.Would have rated car better on quality and reliability if not for bad transmission.

OK, for what it is.
By Bill on 10/19/09 08:44 AM (PDT)

2009 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I can find not fault with the build quality. Thinngs shut and reveal gaps are very exact. The motor in 5th gear turns much higher than I would envision for the torque and horsepower required. Needs a 6th gear.

great car
By wafa on 08/26/09 06:10 AM (PDT)

2009 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I'm so happy with my kia rio, I love it roomy, quite, and great gas saver

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Kia Rio in VA is:

$136 per month*