Used 2008 Kia Rio Consumer Reviews - 56 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Kia Rio - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rio model:

lemon car
By charlie1

2008 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I bought a kia rio sedan in 2008 have had a new transmission put in to date still having problems with transmission automatic shift from park reverse or drive to revervse is very slow I am left seating in the road waiting for it transmission to shift I feel this is a safety issue and kia should correct it after many many time taking it to shop they tell me I dont know have to drive and there is nothing wrong with my car, it is the worst car I have ever had will not buy another one nor would I recommend anyone else to buy one.

Maybe Just a Lemon
By Prime#

2008 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I recently bought a 2008 Kia Rio and after only having it for two days my transmission went out. There was only around 8,000 miles on the car when I bought it, so i figured it was going to be very reliable...Well maybe I just got unlucky but it made me never want to buy a Kia ever again. Besides the transmission going out, I felt that it was a pretty attractive car(granted I had gotten a black Rio which meant that the tacky plastic trim was not as noticeable). It was a rather smooth ride, but I did feel kind of unsafe in it because it was so small. Besides the transmission going out, I guess it was cute little car...

Being intelligent helps
By Big John

2008 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

You don't have to be stupid to buy anything else, but it helps. 100K warranty, low initial price, 35 miles to a gallon endlessly on regular. Smooth ride, great seats with lumbar support, a/c, at, pw/dl, tilt wheel, am/fm/cd/st, spacious trunk, arm rest, power hook-ups, ample head room in back seat for six footers. All this for around $13K. Are you kidding me? Why buy anything else? This is my 6th Rio in 8 years. I still own four of them and all except this one have over 120,000 miles on them and still run strong, use zero oil and get 35 mpg HW. I change the oil myself at 5,000 mile intervals, religiously. Routine maintenance essential. Nobody builds a better car at these prices.

Gas mileage, low payments, low insurance premiums, head and side curtain air-bags standard, manueverability, ease of access, very comforatble seats, 14 inch tires that don't cost a fortune to replace. Did mention 35 miles to a gallon on regular? What else really matters today? Get real.

If there's any improvements to be made Kia will find them. These cars are unreal. I paid $10,500 back in 2001 for my for my first Rio. I bought another one for my daughter 4 months later. She still has it. Eight years later, $13,500. Anybody priced a Ford with these amenities lately?

Hard Riding
By SURPRISED

2008 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

After reading the reviews, I am beginning to think the factory forgot struts & shocks on my car. It could be Pennsylvania roads though. My Kia only has 8,000 miles on it, but it rides like a buck board. My 2002 Prism, 103,000 miles outrides it by far. The brakes grab when cold & the delay from reverse to drive is slow. I don't like the cupholders between the seats. They are much more useful located by dashboard. No cup holders in backseat. The window washers only spray a third of the way up the windshield. The gas milage isn't bad...should improve as the car is broke in. Overall, I am looking to trade it in on a smoother ride and I am glad I still have my Chevy Prism.

I really don't have any

Improve ride with extra absorption on dips, humps, bumps, etc.

EXCELLENT FOR THE $$$
By CF

2008 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my Rio since Aug '08 and have 17k, and cannot complain at all. I love this solid little car. I driven them all and this one exceeds the civic and elantra's of past. the warranty is excellent compared to the competition. This car is roomy for the size. The trunk has space in it. No complaints, just a little big car for the price with a warranty to back it.

Power package is a must.

Needs more comfortable seats for us long haulers.Power steering.Satellite radio would be nice too.