Used 2008 Kia Rio Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Kia Rio - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rio model:

Being intelligent helps
By Big John

2008 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

You don't have to be stupid to buy anything else, but it helps. 100K warranty, low initial price, 35 miles to a gallon endlessly on regular. Smooth ride, great seats with lumbar support, a/c, at, pw/dl, tilt wheel, am/fm/cd/st, spacious trunk, arm rest, power hook-ups, ample head room in back seat for six footers. All this for around $13K. Are you kidding me? Why buy anything else? This is my 6th Rio in 8 years. I still own four of them and all except this one have over 120,000 miles on them and still run strong, use zero oil and get 35 mpg HW. I change the oil myself at 5,000 mile intervals, religiously. Routine maintenance essential. Nobody builds a better car at these prices.

Gas mileage, low payments, low insurance premiums, head and side curtain air-bags standard, manueverability, ease of access, very comforatble seats, 14 inch tires that don't cost a fortune to replace. Did mention 35 miles to a gallon on regular? What else really matters today? Get real.

If there's any improvements to be made Kia will find them. These cars are unreal. I paid $10,500 back in 2001 for my for my first Rio. I bought another one for my daughter 4 months later. She still has it. Eight years later, $13,500. Anybody priced a Ford with these amenities lately?

Hard Riding
By SURPRISED

2008 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

After reading the reviews, I am beginning to think the factory forgot struts & shocks on my car. It could be Pennsylvania roads though. My Kia only has 8,000 miles on it, but it rides like a buck board. My 2002 Prism, 103,000 miles outrides it by far. The brakes grab when cold & the delay from reverse to drive is slow. I don't like the cupholders between the seats. They are much more useful located by dashboard. No cup holders in backseat. The window washers only spray a third of the way up the windshield. The gas milage isn't bad...should improve as the car is broke in. Overall, I am looking to trade it in on a smoother ride and I am glad I still have my Chevy Prism.

I really don't have any

Improve ride with extra absorption on dips, humps, bumps, etc.

EXCELLENT FOR THE $$$
By CF

2008 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my Rio since Aug '08 and have 17k, and cannot complain at all. I love this solid little car. I driven them all and this one exceeds the civic and elantra's of past. the warranty is excellent compared to the competition. This car is roomy for the size. The trunk has space in it. No complaints, just a little big car for the price with a warranty to back it.

Power package is a must.

Needs more comfortable seats for us long haulers.Power steering.Satellite radio would be nice too.

Perfect
By ct, new york

2008 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Replaced a 02 Hyundai Elantra manual which would have cost too much to fix. I am pleased on how far Kia has come. The car surpasses so many of the past vehicles that I have owned inc my 00 civic. Get the power package, worth the money. No problems on the highway, road noise is low. I love driving my Kia in Bright Blue and passing everyone else, kinda obnoxious and saving gas at the same time.

4 doors, not a hatchback, nice radio for the price, roomy for an adult male.

more comfortable seats.

Very happy owner!
By BVF925

2008 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our 5-speed Rio brand-new in August 2008 to replace a gas hog of a truck for commuting over 50 miles a day. The average mpg is 38!Who needs a hybrid? The Rio is surprisingly roomy, comfy, fun to drive, smooth ride, good looking, and the best warranty around. This may seem trivial, but the cup holders with the rubbery grips are the best! Other than a small squeak near the sun visor that has since disappeared, it is flawless. It's a little noisy at highway speeds though. I would totally buy another one in a minute.

High gas mileage, big trunk, fun to drive, comfortable, it looks sporty with the spoiler on the trunk

Can't think of anything - 10,200 miles and loving it!