Used 2008 Kia Rio Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Kia Rio - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rio model:

Great Commuter Car for the Money
By kyatty

2008 Kia Rio Rio5 LX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I was in the market to get to and from work everyday and wanted to keep my costs down. I had only owned Japanese cars, with one exception of a GMC pickup that was a big mistake. I was a little unsure about the KIA, but after nearly 2 years I'm glad I took the plunge. This little car is just what I needed. The fuel economy is quite good, but could be improved. It's surprisingly fun to drive. It's far roomier than you would expect from its dimesions. I've never had a single problem with this car --just regularly scheduled maintenance. Sure, I get the occasional odd look from other attorneys when they see me in my little Rio5, but I could care less.

1. Good fuel economy 2. Handles well and a dream to park 3. Roomier than one would think with the hatchback 4. Excellent reliability 5. Low cost 6. Enough pep to merge into traffic without any problems 7. Well designed layout

1. Fuel economy could still be better 2. Design enhancements to protect occupants in side impact crashes 3. Better tires 4. Lockable glove box

Kia Rio 2008
By roger

2008 Kia Rio Rio5 LX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I love my KIA Rio. It gets 34 mpg. It is fun to drive. Warranty is great. It is the best car for the price.

quiet for small car good stereo peppy good gas mileage

I HATE THIS CAR
By casey

2008 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

My car also is slow to shift from park reverse or drive to revervse. It also has been in the shop five times because something is draining the power from the battery that no one can figure out why. It has been thru two batteries and they put in a whole new fuse system... i drove it three weeks and the battery is dead again. They still cant figure it out so while it sits in the shop i have to borrow parents and friends cars because good ol kia doesn't provide loaner cars and i dont have the money for a rental. All this for a car i've only had four months!!!

I think the car is cute and its pretty good on gas..... WHEN I CAN DRIVE IT

PLEASE Just admitt when something is wrong that cant be fixed and give me another car. I am a single mother and i need my car. I paid the money for it and i pay my payment on time every month. Please give me another car or at least something to drive while you try to figure out whats wrong with mine

lemon car
By charlie1

2008 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I bought a kia rio sedan in 2008 have had a new transmission put in to date still having problems with transmission automatic shift from park reverse or drive to revervse is very slow I am left seating in the road waiting for it transmission to shift I feel this is a safety issue and kia should correct it after many many time taking it to shop they tell me I dont know have to drive and there is nothing wrong with my car, it is the worst car I have ever had will not buy another one nor would I recommend anyone else to buy one.

Maybe Just a Lemon
By Prime#

2008 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I recently bought a 2008 Kia Rio and after only having it for two days my transmission went out. There was only around 8,000 miles on the car when I bought it, so i figured it was going to be very reliable...Well maybe I just got unlucky but it made me never want to buy a Kia ever again. Besides the transmission going out, I felt that it was a pretty attractive car(granted I had gotten a black Rio which meant that the tacky plastic trim was not as noticeable). It was a rather smooth ride, but I did feel kind of unsafe in it because it was so small. Besides the transmission going out, I guess it was cute little car...