2008 Kia Rio - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rio model:
Love my Rio
By Mike K on 01/27/09 13:12 PM (PST)

2008 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

So when my 2000 Hyundai Elantra finally had enough and overheated (after 160k miles by the way), I planned on replacing her with a new Accent but luckily shopped Kia before buying it. Same engine, parent company and warranty, but I preferred the more mature styling of my Rio over the somewhat prepubescent look of the Accent. Anyhow, I bought the extended bumper-to-bumper warranty for 10 years and couldn't be happier. My first tank got me 33 mpg and it'll keep improving up to around 5000 miles. Ok, so it's not the fastest ride out there, but it always gets there smoothly and surely. I also like that not everyone's driving it, and that it looks like a mini-lexus if you squint hard enough!

Love it.
By TPNDrew on 12/04/08 10:41 AM (PST)

2008 Kia Rio SX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car to replace my first car (1996 Grand Am). I was in dire need of something new or newer as my Grand Am had 200K miles on it and died 3 weeks later. This was the first car I looked at and loved it immediately. This car looks great in black. My Rio's shift timing is a little awkward compared to other cars I've driven, but I'm used to it. I got the red pinstripe on the side and the matching red/grey interior. Mine seems to be the only one of it's kind in my area. The audio jack is welcomed as well as my mp3 player used to run through a tape-deck adapter in my Grand Am. The space given the car size is really impressive. As an art student, I can appreciate the extra space.

I Love my Car!
By Misty on 09/29/08 13:52 PM (PDT)

2008 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I got my Rio at the first of March. I love it while all my friends drive big SUVs and complain about the gas prices, my family of 5 fits in my car just fine and were able to take a vacation this summer while my friends stayed at home. I get 38 miles a gallon! Thank you KIA

Mileage over rated
By Edward on 08/29/08 09:16 AM (PDT)

2008 Kia Rio SX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

The mileage rating of 41 MPG is very over rated and was the selling point for me. However, for a subcompact the car performs well, and even at high speed is quite and handles well. The second big selling point for a sub compact was the quietness of the car. This area outdid the other higher price cars on the lot. The sports package put the extra touch on the inside. All and all it is a good car, but I'm getting about the same with my Honda as far as MPG and the reason I treaded was for better gas mileage, so in the end I lost. Breaks do squeak.

Great car!
By LoveMyRio! on 08/21/08 10:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Rio to use as a commuter car to/from work. I wasn't sure I would like it but when I test drove it, I was pleasantly surprised. After 2 months, I just hit 3000 miles and I usually get 33-35 mpg. but did get 38.3 last week on a 3 hr. trip!! I love the way the car handles and it is so much fun to drive. Love the way the rear seats fold down too, so much room. Also, love the way they laid out the instrument panel/radio. Very easy to reach and use, much more than any other car I have owned. I LOVE this car and look forward to it lasting a long time. Highly recommend it!

New Rio 5 LX
By Peter on 07/29/08 00:35 AM (PDT)

2008 Kia Rio Rio5 LX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

We got the 2008 Rio 5 LX with 5-speed manual. We are very pleased with our choice so far. The car is attractive, fun to drive, and it is good enough power-, handling-, and feature-wise for us. Shortly after break-in, we took the car to TX (1800+ miles each way). Never dawdling, with two adults and two kids, fully loaded with toys and gear, we got 33 mpg. Not bad! It would do better, though, if Kia put a 6-speed in this model. 3500+ revs in 5th for typical Southern and Western U.S. interstate driving is too much. If I often drove on Southern or Western interstates, I would be less pleased with the car. But in the hilly, trafficky Northeast, where I live, I highly recommend it!

improvements
By varmit2 on 07/06/08 07:10 AM (PDT)

2008 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

just bought this car, i had previously bought a 2002 model for my daughter to attend college, never drove hers' much, hers lasted so well, that i decided to buy one for myself, I am overall pleased with mine so far, but motor is a bit noisy when accelerated moderately, and suspension is a bit choppy at times , have just got 800 miles on mine so far, but it getting right at 35 mpg and this beats my dodge ram 1500 14 mpg to death. I believe that i can get used to the Kia small quirks.

Keen on Kia
By Garret on 07/04/08 09:38 AM (PDT)

2008 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I just recently bought this vehicle as my daily commuter to work and school in an effort to save on gas and help the environment. I'm very pleased with my purchase. The car drives very well for what it is and the motor is surprisingly efficient. The only change that I made is I replaced the air filter with a K&N unit. Would recommend this vehicle to others.

Rio5 not well known but a good car
By rs on 06/25/08 13:38 PM (PDT)

2008 Kia Rio Rio5 LX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car as a commuter car. It is great. I get 34 mpg combined driving. It is cute, the girls love it. I did not buy it for that though. It made sense to me a good value in a nice package. I drive a lot and was driving a big truck, the monthly payment and gas for this car is cheaper than the gas for my truck. I read many reviews on the internet and reliability is up there too. For a sub compact it is quiet. Lots of features for the money. It has a small engine but has enough power to get me up hills at the speed limit. I'm very happy with it.

Excellent gas sipper
By Glenn on 06/23/08 13:37 PM (PDT)

2008 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

If you're looking for an inexpensive ride that's great on gas, the Kia Rio is all you need! I bought the 4 door base to use as my "run around" car and I am getting 39 MPG based on about a 60% stop-and-go and 40% highway driving ratio. It's the best no frills car out there, easily the best bang for the buck. I never thought I'd buy a Kia/Hyundai, but with gas prices being what they are and just needing some basic wheels, this car hits the target dead on!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.