Used 2008 Kia Rio Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Kia Rio - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rio model:

Our little zoom zoom
By Kelli

2008 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I really love this car. But the seats are awful. I was rear ended in this car by a car traveling 45 mph, my back is sore, but the car looks like it's never been hit. The guy that hit me said it was like hitting a sponge. Also, too bad there's no trade in value to these cars.

Favorite Features

fun to drive other than the seats

Suggested Improvements

most def. the seats and arm rest too

Still Truckin
By cf

2008 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

What can you say when gas prices are over $3, 35 MPH +. I am concerned as others have expressed that the slow shift in the auto transmission may result in some type of future problems. My car at 46000 miles is getting worse. The service dealerships are too few and far between. Otherwise so far so excellent. No problems just regular maintenence. I own 2 Hondas and have the Kia as a work car and drive it excessively. I don't even get into the Honda's, a real shame that I am paying for them.The lx version with power package has 6 speakers and one is blown, so annoying. Great system for such an inexpensive car though.

Favorite Features

Has little things that one would not expect for the price.

Suggested Improvements

More comfortable seats, a must. Better plastics, too cheap looking. A middle arm rest with storage, not the toothpick that is provided, don't put too much weight on it. Oh and more comfortable seats. Get rid of the black molding that wraps the car, still tacky.

It's a Kia...
By Dreamorpheus

2008 Kia Rio Rio5 LX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Within the first year of owning the car, both front wheel-bearings went out. Twice each. Needs an O/D or 6th gear, MPG dwindles at highway speeds. The interior is rather gray, 'bout four different shades of gray, makes your soul sad. Have a issue with the driver- side window crank; keep smacking my knee on it, knocking off the knob. You also can't really sleep in the hatch, bit cramped, and the floors not flat. As unpleasing, and some times annoying this all may be, it's still a good little car. Its a grate car to buy new, by the end of the warranty you can just throw it away. It handles like a go-cart, gets good MPG in town, CHEAP, and they fix almost anything for the life of the car.

Favorite Features

Price, could not beat it. front-end resembles Pikachu. Warranty included tiers for life. Car is inconspicuous, always a plus. handles like a go-cart. little cubbyholes. And the arrow that tells you which side you gas-cap is.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a six speed, or an OD. Was not as good in the winter as I'd hoped. A little Spunk in the interior would be appreciated. Lacking in leg room, but kinda expected. I would also like to move the AUX.input for the stereo, get in the way. Ashtray should be standard

Great little car!
By roger

2008 Kia Rio Rio5 LX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my Kia Rio for two years and I am very happy with it. The price was great. I get 30-34 mpg. I drive it daily 50 miles to work and back and like it fine. I have also driven it to Florida and several times (2,000 miles round trip) and it was comfortable. I have had no mechanical problems at all. It is a great little car for the price and with the back seat down has lots of room to haul stuff. Yes, I would buy another Kia.

Favorite Features

gas mileage and comfort - and sporty looks.

Suggested Improvements

No complaints or improvements needed. You get what you pay for - a fine little car.

Nice, a no frills but great on gas car.
By rkkeller

2008 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Rio as I needed an inexpensive but good on gas car. I was not expecting a lot but I really like it and glad I bought it. It is fun to drive and handles well but it can be slowish at times. The interior is really roomy for a small car and its way bigger on the inside than you might think. I have a Jeep Cherokee and the Rio has way more front seat room and better seats too. The radio with single CD and 4 speaker setup sounds nice and is just loud enough if you want to turn it up. It might not be loud enough for some though but for me its fine.

Favorite Features

I have the LX model and the rear seats fold down so the back and trunk are combined. This makes for a lot of room and I can fit many things a car without this would. It also has A/C which some Rio models don't.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing really as it is what it is. An inexpensive great on gas no frills car. If you start adding a lot of things then it would not be this.