2008 Kia Rio - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rio model:
Great Commuter Car for the Money
By kyatty on 11/26/09 07:14 AM (PST)

2008 Kia Rio Rio5 LX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I was in the market to get to and from work everyday and wanted to keep my costs down. I had only owned Japanese cars, with one exception of a GMC pickup that was a big mistake. I was a little unsure about the KIA, but after nearly 2 years I'm glad I took the plunge. This little car is just what I needed. The fuel economy is quite good, but could be improved. It's surprisingly fun to drive. It's far roomier than you would expect from its dimesions. I've never had a single problem with this car --just regularly scheduled maintenance. Sure, I get the occasional odd look from other attorneys when they see me in my little Rio5, but I could care less.

Kia Rio 2008
By roger on 10/23/09 18:08 PM (PDT)

2008 Kia Rio Rio5 LX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I love my KIA Rio. It gets 34 mpg. It is fun to drive. Warranty is great. It is the best car for the price.

I HATE THIS CAR
By casey on 10/06/09 14:29 PM (PDT)

2008 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

My car also is slow to shift from park reverse or drive to revervse. It also has been in the shop five times because something is draining the power from the battery that no one can figure out why. It has been thru two batteries and they put in a whole new fuse system... i drove it three weeks and the battery is dead again. They still cant figure it out so while it sits in the shop i have to borrow parents and friends cars because good ol kia doesn't provide loaner cars and i dont have the money for a rental. All this for a car i've only had four months!!!

lemon car
By charlie1 on 08/08/09 11:10 AM (PDT)

2008 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I bought a kia rio sedan in 2008 have had a new transmission put in to date still having problems with transmission automatic shift from park reverse or drive to revervse is very slow I am left seating in the road waiting for it transmission to shift I feel this is a safety issue and kia should correct it after many many time taking it to shop they tell me I dont know have to drive and there is nothing wrong with my car, it is the worst car I have ever had will not buy another one nor would I recommend anyone else to buy one.

Maybe Just a Lemon
By Prime# on 07/27/09 19:43 PM (PDT)

2008 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I recently bought a 2008 Kia Rio and after only having it for two days my transmission went out. There was only around 8,000 miles on the car when I bought it, so i figured it was going to be very reliable...Well maybe I just got unlucky but it made me never want to buy a Kia ever again. Besides the transmission going out, I felt that it was a pretty attractive car(granted I had gotten a black Rio which meant that the tacky plastic trim was not as noticeable). It was a rather smooth ride, but I did feel kind of unsafe in it because it was so small. Besides the transmission going out, I guess it was cute little car...

Being intelligent helps
By Big John on 06/19/09 04:10 AM (PDT)

2008 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

You don't have to be stupid to buy anything else, but it helps. 100K warranty, low initial price, 35 miles to a gallon endlessly on regular. Smooth ride, great seats with lumbar support, a/c, at, pw/dl, tilt wheel, am/fm/cd/st, spacious trunk, arm rest, power hook-ups, ample head room in back seat for six footers. All this for around $13K. Are you kidding me? Why buy anything else? This is my 6th Rio in 8 years. I still own four of them and all except this one have over 120,000 miles on them and still run strong, use zero oil and get 35 mpg HW. I change the oil myself at 5,000 mile intervals, religiously. Routine maintenance essential. Nobody builds a better car at these prices.

Hard Riding
By SURPRISED on 06/12/09 06:33 AM (PDT)

2008 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

After reading the reviews, I am beginning to think the factory forgot struts & shocks on my car. It could be Pennsylvania roads though. My Kia only has 8,000 miles on it, but it rides like a buck board. My 2002 Prism, 103,000 miles outrides it by far. The brakes grab when cold & the delay from reverse to drive is slow. I don't like the cupholders between the seats. They are much more useful located by dashboard. No cup holders in backseat. The window washers only spray a third of the way up the windshield. The gas milage isn't bad...should improve as the car is broke in. Overall, I am looking to trade it in on a smoother ride and I am glad I still have my Chevy Prism.

EXCELLENT FOR THE $$$
By CF on 05/22/09 01:02 AM (PDT)

2008 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my Rio since Aug '08 and have 17k, and cannot complain at all. I love this solid little car. I driven them all and this one exceeds the civic and elantra's of past. the warranty is excellent compared to the competition. This car is roomy for the size. The trunk has space in it. No complaints, just a little big car for the price with a warranty to back it.

Perfect
By ct, new york on 05/15/09 23:29 PM (PDT)

2008 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Replaced a 02 Hyundai Elantra manual which would have cost too much to fix. I am pleased on how far Kia has come. The car surpasses so many of the past vehicles that I have owned inc my 00 civic. Get the power package, worth the money. No problems on the highway, road noise is low. I love driving my Kia in Bright Blue and passing everyone else, kinda obnoxious and saving gas at the same time.

Very happy owner!
By BVF925 on 03/24/09 15:56 PM (PDT)

2008 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our 5-speed Rio brand-new in August 2008 to replace a gas hog of a truck for commuting over 50 miles a day. The average mpg is 38!Who needs a hybrid? The Rio is surprisingly roomy, comfy, fun to drive, smooth ride, good looking, and the best warranty around. This may seem trivial, but the cup holders with the rubbery grips are the best! Other than a small squeak near the sun visor that has since disappeared, it is flawless. It's a little noisy at highway speeds though. I would totally buy another one in a minute.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.