Used 2008 Kia Rio Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Kia Rio - Consumer Reviews

2008 Kia Rio

View reviews for a specific Rio model:

Be carefull of the brakes!
By smith3425

2008 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Be very careful of the brakes. I had to slam on my breaks for the first time after 2 years of owning the car. Another car pulled in front of me and stopped and when I hit the brakes the card just slid. I had no control of the car at all. My children and I slid across 3 lanes of oncoming traffic and right off the road nearly getting hit several times. After the breaks lock there is no controlling the car at all. Ever since I have been terrified to even drive the speed limit for fear that I will have to hit the brakes. If you are concerned about buying a car with top notch safety features this is not the one for you!

Favorite Features

Color, gas mileage, spacious trunk.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the brakes. There is no reason that a car should put a family in danger like this.

beware
By gmclover1

2008 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

this is in response to some who say they need to purchase a good car great on gas. This car does ok with those two aspects but I recently had to take the car in to have the motor taken out of the car for the air conditioner. Not under warranty when they say it is your fault and you have put papers in the glove box!!! Who says you can't put papers in the glove box, there was nothing saying we couldn't, but now that the air conditioner has sucked in my oil change receipt, because of their design flaw in leaving a hole in the glove box, I shouldn't have to pay for this, now they are saying I cannot have my car back if I don;t because they fixed it!!! Did they fix the hole?????

THIS CAR SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By pinkpanda

2008 Kia Rio SX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

this car has had problems since 1 year after buying it brand new i have had transmission promblems about 5 or 6 times and they say its something else the service people mess up stuff that i have to take back to have them fix the still havent fixed my transmission they are very rude and i would not tell anyone to buy one of these cars they will screw you over on the warenty and when its over they will finally tell you whats been wrong with your car the whole time so that you have to pay for it they need to do there job or go out of business

Don't buy
By anonymous

2008 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

This car is junk. It handles horribly in the snow. After only two years I had to replace both wheel bearings, my check engine light came on, I've had to replace all four tires. It's too small and it hate that I don't have keyless entry. This car has ruined my experience with Kia so much that I will never purchase another.

Favorite Features

CD player

Suggested Improvements

Better handling in the snow, automatic windows and locks and keyless entry.

Great Car at a good price
By smalltownsouthernman

2008 Kia Rio Rio5 SX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased this car pre-owned with only 4000 miles on it. I haven't had any problems out of it to date. I do notice that when i drive it after sitting over night the rear brakes tend to be touchy and squeak some. The engine also tends to have a little rattle to it when it is cold. Not sure why it does that but once it warms up it is flawless. it may have something to do with the CVT.

Favorite Features

I have had several comments on the sporty interior (SX RIO5). I like the AUX jack for my Iphone, and the sound system sounds decent.

Suggested Improvements

Cruise Control would be nice, lose the plastic trim around the exterior. I noticed they dropped it on the new models for 2010 :). Shorter shifter would make gear changes smoother. Disc Brakes in the rear would be a nice addition to the good brakes already available. A six-speed would make it perfect