2008 Kia Rio - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rio model:
Our little zoom zoom
By Kelli on 10/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I really love this car. But the seats are awful. I was rear ended in this car by a car traveling 45 mph, my back is sore, but the car looks like it's never been hit. The guy that hit me said it was like hitting a sponge. Also, too bad there's no trade in value to these cars.

Still Truckin
By cf on 05/11/10 00:47 AM (PDT)

2008 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

What can you say when gas prices are over $3, 35 MPH +. I am concerned as others have expressed that the slow shift in the auto transmission may result in some type of future problems. My car at 46000 miles is getting worse. The service dealerships are too few and far between. Otherwise so far so excellent. No problems just regular maintenence. I own 2 Hondas and have the Kia as a work car and drive it excessively. I don't even get into the Honda's, a real shame that I am paying for them.The lx version with power package has 6 speakers and one is blown, so annoying. Great system for such an inexpensive car though.

It's a Kia...
By Dreamorpheus on 05/08/10 11:13 AM (PDT)

2008 Kia Rio Rio5 LX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Within the first year of owning the car, both front wheel-bearings went out. Twice each. Needs an O/D or 6th gear, MPG dwindles at highway speeds. The interior is rather gray, 'bout four different shades of gray, makes your soul sad. Have a issue with the driver- side window crank; keep smacking my knee on it, knocking off the knob. You also can't really sleep in the hatch, bit cramped, and the floors not flat. As unpleasing, and some times annoying this all may be, it's still a good little car. Its a grate car to buy new, by the end of the warranty you can just throw it away. It handles like a go-cart, gets good MPG in town, CHEAP, and they fix almost anything for the life of the car.

Great little car!
By roger on 04/29/10 07:33 AM (PDT)

2008 Kia Rio Rio5 LX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my Kia Rio for two years and I am very happy with it. The price was great. I get 30-34 mpg. I drive it daily 50 miles to work and back and like it fine. I have also driven it to Florida and several times (2,000 miles round trip) and it was comfortable. I have had no mechanical problems at all. It is a great little car for the price and with the back seat down has lots of room to haul stuff. Yes, I would buy another Kia.

Nice, a no frills but great on gas car.
By rkkeller on 04/07/10 10:57 AM (PDT)

2008 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Rio as I needed an inexpensive but good on gas car. I was not expecting a lot but I really like it and glad I bought it. It is fun to drive and handles well but it can be slowish at times. The interior is really roomy for a small car and its way bigger on the inside than you might think. I have a Jeep Cherokee and the Rio has way more front seat room and better seats too. The radio with single CD and 4 speaker setup sounds nice and is just loud enough if you want to turn it up. It might not be loud enough for some though but for me its fine.

A good dependable ride!
By RossM on 04/05/10 14:25 PM (PDT)

2008 Kia Rio Rio5 LX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this as my first "new" car and I like this little buggy. I am a sales rep and so am on the road a lot, it handles well and is fun to drive. It is pretty good on gas. I would say average for a car this size. I put a huge ski box on the roof and it gets a bit worse of course. I use it in the winter around Alberta/BC with good winter tires and its great, plowed through 1 foot of snow on mountain roads more then once. I have taken it on logging roads for hundreds of km, driven it to California, Vancouver Island and more. It feels like a Honda or Toyota in terms of build quality, pretty solid. Shifts nice. Looks Euro. A great car.

My other car is a Rio...
By Big John on 03/20/10 00:42 AM (PDT)

2008 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I've been sold on Kia since 2001. Always a long distance runner, I need a car with better than average MPG and durability. The other things don't really matter. I want some money in my pocket after the bills are paid. Before 2001 I was driving a 1970 Pontiac Catalina for 15 years. It ran great until my nit-wit son took it for a spin. He spun out and drove it into a tree. It had huge miles on it. The Catalina averaged 18 MPG. All my Rio's average 35. It doesn't take long for the savings to pay for the car. Essentially I am driving a new car for free. The 2001 made a lot of noise but so does a Harley. You don't get wet in a Rio. A 2008 much quieter. I also own an '01, '03, and '06.

It does what it says it will do!
By Fletch on 03/13/10 14:18 PM (PST)

2008 Kia Rio Rio5 LX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This car is a great economy car. It drives well and the gas consumption is great. The warranty is fantastic. The bearings in the front wheels went and were replaced by Kia dealership without hesitation and no cost to me. Very reliable and gets you from point A to point B comfortably, cheaply and with no problems.

Just what I needed!
By J.L. on 02/15/10 12:49 PM (PST)

2008 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I'm really happy with this car. I've had it almost two years, and I'm still enjoying it. The only thing I'd ask Kia to improve would be the height of the arm rest - it's too low. I feel very safe in my car. It's even comfortable on ten-hour vacation trips! The interior is nice, and easy to clean - great for people with kids. It really is easy to park. I'd be happy buy another one.

STILL GOING AND SURPRISING
By cf on 02/09/10 01:32 AM (PST)

2008 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

An Update. My '08 Rio is coming up on 39k. I drive all highway and still am impressed on the way in which the car handles, except in snow well go figure. Nothing major, all regular maintence so far. The car is a little trooper. round trip I drive 140 miles, reason i bought the lil sipper. The car has all I need. I have noticed what others are saying about the slow shift with the automatic transmissions, especially when the car is cold, which in the northeast is common. I am not worried yet about it. I tell you the car takes a beating and is holding up, I am hoping for long too. I am rough on the cars I drive so I hope to have it a few more years in this one.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.