Used 2008 Kia Rio Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Kia Rio Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rio model:

Great Car at a good price
By smalltownsouthernman

2008 Kia Rio Wagon Rio5 SX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased this car pre-owned with only 4000 miles on it. I haven't had any problems out of it to date. I do notice that when i drive it after sitting over night the rear brakes tend to be touchy and squeak some. The engine also tends to have a little rattle to it when it is cold. Not sure why it does that but once it warms up it is flawless. it may have something to do with the CVT.

I have had several comments on the sporty interior (SX RIO5). I like the AUX jack for my Iphone, and the sound system sounds decent.

Cruise Control would be nice, lose the plastic trim around the exterior. I noticed they dropped it on the new models for 2010 :). Shorter shifter would make gear changes smoother. Disc Brakes in the rear would be a nice addition to the good brakes already available. A six-speed would make it perfect

It's a Kia...
By Dreamorpheus

2008 Kia Rio Wagon Rio5 LX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Within the first year of owning the car, both front wheel-bearings went out. Twice each. Needs an O/D or 6th gear, MPG dwindles at highway speeds. The interior is rather gray, 'bout four different shades of gray, makes your soul sad. Have a issue with the driver- side window crank; keep smacking my knee on it, knocking off the knob. You also can't really sleep in the hatch, bit cramped, and the floors not flat. As unpleasing, and some times annoying this all may be, it's still a good little car. Its a grate car to buy new, by the end of the warranty you can just throw it away. It handles like a go-cart, gets good MPG in town, CHEAP, and they fix almost anything for the life of the car.

Price, could not beat it. front-end resembles Pikachu. Warranty included tiers for life. Car is inconspicuous, always a plus. handles like a go-cart. little cubbyholes. And the arrow that tells you which side you gas-cap is.

Needs a six speed, or an OD. Was not as good in the winter as I'd hoped. A little Spunk in the interior would be appreciated. Lacking in leg room, but kinda expected. I would also like to move the AUX.input for the stereo, get in the way. Ashtray should be standard

Great little car!
By roger

2008 Kia Rio Wagon Rio5 LX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my Kia Rio for two years and I am very happy with it. The price was great. I get 30-34 mpg. I drive it daily 50 miles to work and back and like it fine. I have also driven it to Florida and several times (2,000 miles round trip) and it was comfortable. I have had no mechanical problems at all. It is a great little car for the price and with the back seat down has lots of room to haul stuff. Yes, I would buy another Kia.

gas mileage and comfort - and sporty looks.

No complaints or improvements needed. You get what you pay for - a fine little car.

A good dependable ride!
By RossM

2008 Kia Rio Wagon Rio5 LX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this as my first "new" car and I like this little buggy. I am a sales rep and so am on the road a lot, it handles well and is fun to drive. It is pretty good on gas. I would say average for a car this size. I put a huge ski box on the roof and it gets a bit worse of course. I use it in the winter around Alberta/BC with good winter tires and its great, plowed through 1 foot of snow on mountain roads more then once. I have taken it on logging roads for hundreds of km, driven it to California, Vancouver Island and more. It feels like a Honda or Toyota in terms of build quality, pretty solid. Shifts nice. Looks Euro. A great car.

Good weight distribution for winter driving, good handling, good on gas. SIMPLE.

2.0-2.5 L engine would be nice for some things.

It does what it says it will do!
By Fletch

2008 Kia Rio Wagon Rio5 LX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This car is a great economy car. It drives well and the gas consumption is great. The warranty is fantastic. The bearings in the front wheels went and were replaced by Kia dealership without hesitation and no cost to me. Very reliable and gets you from point A to point B comfortably, cheaply and with no problems.

Heated seats, back seat space for passengers and comes with a good number of standard features.

None so far. I know why I bought it and it does exactly that!