2008 Kia Rio Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rio model:
Great Car at a good price
By smalltownsouthernman on 10/26/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Kia Rio Wagon Rio5 SX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased this car pre-owned with only 4000 miles on it. I haven't had any problems out of it to date. I do notice that when i drive it after sitting over night the rear brakes tend to be touchy and squeak some. The engine also tends to have a little rattle to it when it is cold. Not sure why it does that but once it warms up it is flawless. it may have something to do with the CVT.

It's a Kia...
By Dreamorpheus on 05/08/10 11:13 AM (PDT)

2008 Kia Rio Wagon Rio5 LX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Within the first year of owning the car, both front wheel-bearings went out. Twice each. Needs an O/D or 6th gear, MPG dwindles at highway speeds. The interior is rather gray, 'bout four different shades of gray, makes your soul sad. Have a issue with the driver- side window crank; keep smacking my knee on it, knocking off the knob. You also can't really sleep in the hatch, bit cramped, and the floors not flat. As unpleasing, and some times annoying this all may be, it's still a good little car. Its a grate car to buy new, by the end of the warranty you can just throw it away. It handles like a go-cart, gets good MPG in town, CHEAP, and they fix almost anything for the life of the car.

Great little car!
By roger on 04/29/10 07:33 AM (PDT)

2008 Kia Rio Wagon Rio5 LX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my Kia Rio for two years and I am very happy with it. The price was great. I get 30-34 mpg. I drive it daily 50 miles to work and back and like it fine. I have also driven it to Florida and several times (2,000 miles round trip) and it was comfortable. I have had no mechanical problems at all. It is a great little car for the price and with the back seat down has lots of room to haul stuff. Yes, I would buy another Kia.

A good dependable ride!
By RossM on 04/05/10 14:25 PM (PDT)

2008 Kia Rio Wagon Rio5 LX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this as my first "new" car and I like this little buggy. I am a sales rep and so am on the road a lot, it handles well and is fun to drive. It is pretty good on gas. I would say average for a car this size. I put a huge ski box on the roof and it gets a bit worse of course. I use it in the winter around Alberta/BC with good winter tires and its great, plowed through 1 foot of snow on mountain roads more then once. I have taken it on logging roads for hundreds of km, driven it to California, Vancouver Island and more. It feels like a Honda or Toyota in terms of build quality, pretty solid. Shifts nice. Looks Euro. A great car.

It does what it says it will do!
By Fletch on 03/13/10 14:18 PM (PST)

2008 Kia Rio Wagon Rio5 LX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This car is a great economy car. It drives well and the gas consumption is great. The warranty is fantastic. The bearings in the front wheels went and were replaced by Kia dealership without hesitation and no cost to me. Very reliable and gets you from point A to point B comfortably, cheaply and with no problems.

Great Commuter Car for the Money
By kyatty on 11/26/09 07:14 AM (PST)

2008 Kia Rio Wagon Rio5 LX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I was in the market to get to and from work everyday and wanted to keep my costs down. I had only owned Japanese cars, with one exception of a GMC pickup that was a big mistake. I was a little unsure about the KIA, but after nearly 2 years I'm glad I took the plunge. This little car is just what I needed. The fuel economy is quite good, but could be improved. It's surprisingly fun to drive. It's far roomier than you would expect from its dimesions. I've never had a single problem with this car --just regularly scheduled maintenance. Sure, I get the occasional odd look from other attorneys when they see me in my little Rio5, but I could care less.

Kia Rio 2008
By roger on 10/23/09 18:08 PM (PDT)

2008 Kia Rio Wagon Rio5 LX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I love my KIA Rio. It gets 34 mpg. It is fun to drive. Warranty is great. It is the best car for the price.

New Rio 5 LX
By Peter on 07/29/08 00:35 AM (PDT)

2008 Kia Rio Wagon Rio5 LX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

We got the 2008 Rio 5 LX with 5-speed manual. We are very pleased with our choice so far. The car is attractive, fun to drive, and it is good enough power-, handling-, and feature-wise for us. Shortly after break-in, we took the car to TX (1800+ miles each way). Never dawdling, with two adults and two kids, fully loaded with toys and gear, we got 33 mpg. Not bad! It would do better, though, if Kia put a 6-speed in this model. 3500+ revs in 5th for typical Southern and Western U.S. interstate driving is too much. If I often drove on Southern or Western interstates, I would be less pleased with the car. But in the hilly, trafficky Northeast, where I live, I highly recommend it!

Rio5 not well known but a good car
By rs on 06/25/08 13:38 PM (PDT)

2008 Kia Rio Wagon Rio5 LX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car as a commuter car. It is great. I get 34 mpg combined driving. It is cute, the girls love it. I did not buy it for that though. It made sense to me a good value in a nice package. I drive a lot and was driving a big truck, the monthly payment and gas for this car is cheaper than the gas for my truck. I read many reviews on the internet and reliability is up there too. For a sub compact it is quiet. Lots of features for the money. It has a small engine but has enough power to get me up hills at the speed limit. I'm very happy with it.

Rio5 SX Wagon
By Giancarlo on 06/05/08 05:35 AM (PDT)

2008 Kia Rio Wagon Rio5 SX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I traded in my Hyundai Tucson for a car I could use for my working commute. Rio5 SX was a straightforward choice. The car is compact but surprisingly comfortable and spacious. The engine is up to the task considering is a 1.6 L and the car is very fun to drive. In my first tank of gas I've got a good 33 mpg in mix condition (traffic/highway) typical in a commute scenario. Very, very satisfied with this choice that I recommend to anybody in need of a good, reliable commuting car.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.