2008 Kia Rio Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rio model:
It saved my life!!! lots of love!
By slr1985 on 05/29/14 16:15 PM (PDT)

2008 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I am writing this 2 days after I totaled my 08 Kia Rio. Very sad day. My main problem with this car is the rear defroster stopped working twice. after the 2nd time, i never bothered to get it fixed. I used to affectionately refer to it as my POS Kia, though it did get GREAT gas mileage and was always a fun and sporty drive. I loved zipping along the highway, the city, suburbia in my Rio! however, the best thing about this car is how it saved me during the worst accident i've been in. My back tire was bad, I slipped on wet highway, hit a guardrail, spun into oncoming traffic, had a head on collision with a F250 and walked away w/o a SCRATCH. Thank you for holding up, Rio!

Great value!
By braindeadunit on 12/28/12 06:53 AM (PST)

2008 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I'm getting great gas mileage, and despite mixed rated for 29, I'm getting 34+ mpg. The gearing is just about right, giving its power (and efficiency) in all the right places -- with the manual trans you won't feel like you have such a small engine (reviews on internet says the auto can feel sluggish). The car has a lot of nice touches -- arm rest, aux input, stub holder, center console orientation, the list goes on. All of the small things add up to get a comfortable ride. I can't think of any downsides, although friends have reported the back seats feel a bit cramped. I bought it used, and I think when it comes time to buy a new car, I'll go with a Rio (or Hyundai's version, the Accent).

LOVED THIS LITTLE CAR!
By joy_bell on 11/04/12 06:16 AM (PST)

2008 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO ALL OF THE HORRIBLE REVIEWS ON THIS CAR! Every type of car can have these issues. Honestly, I had my little kia for 3 years, and it never failed me. Even with all of the bad weather that we have up in Wisconsin, it kept going strong for my kids and I. The only issue that I ever had was that the headlights are supposed to be automatic, but if I didn't manually turn them off, sometimes the batter would drain. but that only happened a few times in all the years that I had it. besides that, never had a single issue. I have several friends and family members who also have these cars, and they never have major issues either. great car for a small family.

Great little gas saver!
By tracyb4 on 05/16/12 15:00 PM (PDT)

2008 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Kia Rio new, with 28 miles on it, and now have over 60k miles on it. It came with a great warranty and I've had all scheduled maintenance required to keep the warranty active. I have never had any trouble out of it. The only cons I can mention is that the brakes sound like they are grinding when you first apply them in a damp or wet environment, but after the first application that sound goes away. I have them checked every time I go in for service and they are always ok. The other thing is the fact that the ride is a little noisier than I prefer, but you will find that to be the case with all small cars. I average about 33-35 mpg. Keep up the maintenance, it will last!

Will never buy again!
By lindseyh26 on 01/11/12 14:17 PM (PST)

2008 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car back in 2008. I have had to replace things i shouldnt have had to replace already. Replaced bearings, rotars, i go through tires like no ones business, and timing belt has to be replaced about ever 30,000 miles. (rio's are known for that) other than that the car is pretty good, but i would never purchase one again. They will last forever, but you have to always be replacing something.

Be carefull of the brakes!
By smith3425 on 09/14/11 10:02 AM (PDT)

2008 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Be very careful of the brakes. I had to slam on my breaks for the first time after 2 years of owning the car. Another car pulled in front of me and stopped and when I hit the brakes the card just slid. I had no control of the car at all. My children and I slid across 3 lanes of oncoming traffic and right off the road nearly getting hit several times. After the breaks lock there is no controlling the car at all. Ever since I have been terrified to even drive the speed limit for fear that I will have to hit the brakes. If you are concerned about buying a car with top notch safety features this is not the one for you!

beware
By gmclover1 on 06/01/11 11:08 AM (PDT)

2008 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

this is in response to some who say they need to purchase a good car great on gas. This car does ok with those two aspects but I recently had to take the car in to have the motor taken out of the car for the air conditioner. Not under warranty when they say it is your fault and you have put papers in the glove box!!! Who says you can't put papers in the glove box, there was nothing saying we couldn't, but now that the air conditioner has sucked in my oil change receipt, because of their design flaw in leaving a hole in the glove box, I shouldn't have to pay for this, now they are saying I cannot have my car back if I don;t because they fixed it!!! Did they fix the hole?????

THIS CAR SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By pinkpanda on 05/31/11 19:55 PM (PDT)

2008 Kia Rio Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

this car has had problems since 1 year after buying it brand new i have had transmission promblems about 5 or 6 times and they say its something else the service people mess up stuff that i have to take back to have them fix the still havent fixed my transmission they are very rude and i would not tell anyone to buy one of these cars they will screw you over on the warenty and when its over they will finally tell you whats been wrong with your car the whole time so that you have to pay for it they need to do there job or go out of business

Don't buy
By anonymous on 11/17/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

This car is junk. It handles horribly in the snow. After only two years I had to replace both wheel bearings, my check engine light came on, I've had to replace all four tires. It's too small and it hate that I don't have keyless entry. This car has ruined my experience with Kia so much that I will never purchase another.

Our little zoom zoom
By Kelli on 10/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I really love this car. But the seats are awful. I was rear ended in this car by a car traveling 45 mph, my back is sore, but the car looks like it's never been hit. The guy that hit me said it was like hitting a sponge. Also, too bad there's no trade in value to these cars.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.