Used 2006 Kia Rio Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Kia Rio - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rio model:

My newly purchaced used Rio.
By Marc Trainor

2006 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I'm basically pleased with the car. It's a lot like my old Honda Civic I had with a 5 speed manual, but to me the Honda just "feels" and looks like it has better build quality. I only have 22K miles on it, so I guess only time will tell if it holds up. It doesn't have the power my Mitsubishi Galant has, but my Galant only gets 23 mpg city driving. My only other real beef is that I'm only getting 27.5 mpg with the Rio with combined city/highway driving. Other than that, it's a snappy little "bundle" with decent trunk room and back seat and has a fair amount of pep as long as your not trying to pass someone going up hill.

Favorite Features

Pretty good "bang for the buck". Has enough power to get around OK. Has CD player, AC, dual mirrors, fold down back seats.

Suggested Improvements

Wish the fuel mileage was better. Feels a little cheaply made. Maybe some "real" looking carpet on the floor, or something. Needs a little better suspension at higher speeds. Kind of noisy.

Great Car, Great Value, Great MPG!
By Keith

2006 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Was planning on buying a Honda Civic, but after test driving this '06 Rio, it seemed to be an equal in quality car, but cost $3k to $4k less than comparable Honda Civic. I've put 7,000 miles in 5 mo. So what if no power windows? I can reach across and hand crank the windows with ease! It developed a leak under the frontal area @ 32K miles. KIA dealer replaced seal, still leaked. KIA dealer then replace WHOLE TRANSMISSION @ NO COST TO ME!!! Their warranty is the REAL DEAL! I won't hesitate to buy another KIA. I consistently get 30 mpg in town and at least 35 mpg on highway. I added power locks and cruise for < $600. I LIKE MY '06 KIA RIO!!!

Favorite Features

Peppy engine (w/5 spd. tranny). Sound system, fold down armrest for driver. Remote levers for fuel door & trunk. VERY QUIET RIDE. I'm 5'10" & 220#. VERY COMFORTABLE RIDE!

Suggested Improvements

I added power locks & cruise control for comfort & convenience. I added tinted windows & spoiler for a sport look. Total aftermarket cost = $800. MONEY WELL SPENT!!!

Wonderful Car
By Andrew

2006 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my Kia for just over two years and it's still doing excellent. I'm coming up on 20k mileage and nothing has broken or been replaced outside it's maintenance. Very reliable if taken care of, and well worth the money.

Favorite Features

Sound system, gas mileage, always a smooth ride, tight turning radius, and very spacious front seating and trunk space for a compact.

Suggested Improvements

I'm a pretty big guy so anyone having to sit behind me is very cramped. Gas mileage, while good, still has room for improvement. Still a little peeved I had to opt for the "power package" just for them to include anti-lock brakes, which should be installed by default.

Nice car
By David J

2006 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

The car now has 14,000 miles and so far no problems. It handles/drives very nicely for a car of this class. I test drove a Nissan Sentra and a Honda Civic and they did not drive as good as this Kia. It is quiet on the road even at highway speeds. It performs well, engine is peppy. The automatic transmission shifts very smoothly. It steers/brakes excellently, turns nicely. Radio sounds great. Trunk has spacious room for this type of car, especially with rear seat backs folded down. I get 32.7 MPG combined with mostly city/heavy urban driving. You get good value for the money with this car.

Favorite Features

comfortable drive, looks, sound of radio, gas mileage, interior room, trunk space, gauges on dash laid out nicely for easy view, you can open trunk and gas cap door with latches on drivers floor board, good outside views through windshields and side windows

Suggested Improvements

arm rest for passenger side, better designed console, tinted glass, I would like to see 45-50 MPG with this car

Well Worth The Money
By GoldyLockz

2006 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car in '06, and I have NEVER had a single problem other then replacing an accent bulb. Gas mileage is excellent averaging at about 36 MPG and it being extremely cute doesn't hurt either! Awesome buy for it's class! And I personally think the sound quality is great and and the ride is super quiet.

Favorite Features

Turn Radius, Gas mileage, Sound. Actually pretty much everything!

Suggested Improvements

None so far...