2006 Kia Rio Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rio model:
Hazard switch location
By hjshaffer673 on 04/13/13 08:09 AM (PDT)

2006 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Just bought this vehicle with 71,000 miles. So far I really like it. Just one complaint. Hopefully its been moved since. I seriously dislike that each time I reach to change the volume of the stereo, may hand hits that emergency flasher button making me check that I didn't accidently turn them on.

Better than expected
By jequines on 02/04/11 11:38 AM (PST)

2006 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Bought second hand for my wife and she loves it, I sorta like it. Has heated front seats which was surprising for a car like a rio. Gas mileage is excellent performance is adequate and comfort is adequate also. I was expecting this car to be horrible but she loved it so we got it. It has 60,000kms on it now with only 2 problems, spark plugs died at 40,000km no big deal, but timing belt slipped around the same time and had to be replaced for $800 not under warranty! Metal body is poor quality every stone chip begins rusting immediately unlike domestic galvanized cars. Overall I would buy again(for the wife).

Would buy it again
By Tom on 08/13/10 13:56 PM (PDT)

2006 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I really enjoy the car's spacious trunk and interior. It drives very well for a car of this class and feels safe. I trust my lead-footed teenager with it. My only regret is that after four years it gives me no reason to trade it on a new Forte or Soul. My wife drives an 06 Kia Sedona and these are both reliable, satisfying autos. I hate taking it in for the annual inspection and having to walk through the showroom past the new models.

Buy 'em for life...
By Big John on 03/20/10 01:08 AM (PDT)

2006 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned 6 Rio's and still have 4. Speaks volumes? Always serviced on time. Run great even in winter. Great traction on any road in any weather. Decent acceleration. Cruise all day at 65 MPH and still get 35 MPG. Good visibility all around, comfortable seats, good sound system, great A/C, adjustable wheel, decent headlights, ample cup holders, arm rest. I prefer the manual transmission over the automatic as it requires less service. I own both versions. Finding Kia mechanics who know what they're doing is not easy. I've found better self employed mechanics than factory trained individuals. The warranty is basically useless at the mercy of lousy mechanics.

So far so good.
By Go Green on 08/25/09 14:20 PM (PDT)

2006 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Our Rio has over 68,000 miles on it and has had no problems. Steering, brakes, everything on this car is still as tight as the day we got it. My wife had traded in her gas guzzling Jeep Cherokee and we laughed at her choice. When gas prices rose, I began using it for selling Real Estate and my clients are shocked when they find how roomy the back seat is. It is a great car for scooting around the city and taking a trip does not break the bank. With a fresh oil change I can get up to 38 mpg on the highway! City driving gets from 25 to 32 mpg. Fresh oil affects the mileage so keep it serviced.

My newly purchaced used Rio.
By Marc Trainor on 08/18/08 22:14 PM (PDT)

2006 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I'm basically pleased with the car. It's a lot like my old Honda Civic I had with a 5 speed manual, but to me the Honda just "feels" and looks like it has better build quality. I only have 22K miles on it, so I guess only time will tell if it holds up. It doesn't have the power my Mitsubishi Galant has, but my Galant only gets 23 mpg city driving. My only other real beef is that I'm only getting 27.5 mpg with the Rio with combined city/highway driving. Other than that, it's a snappy little "bundle" with decent trunk room and back seat and has a fair amount of pep as long as your not trying to pass someone going up hill.

Great Car, Great Value, Great MPG!
By Keith on 08/09/08 20:38 PM (PDT)

2006 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Was planning on buying a Honda Civic, but after test driving this '06 Rio, it seemed to be an equal in quality car, but cost $3k to $4k less than comparable Honda Civic. I've put 7,000 miles in 5 mo. So what if no power windows? I can reach across and hand crank the windows with ease! It developed a leak under the frontal area @ 32K miles. KIA dealer replaced seal, still leaked. KIA dealer then replace WHOLE TRANSMISSION @ NO COST TO ME!!! Their warranty is the REAL DEAL! I won't hesitate to buy another KIA. I consistently get 30 mpg in town and at least 35 mpg on highway. I added power locks and cruise for < $600. I LIKE MY '06 KIA RIO!!!

Wonderful Car
By Andrew on 06/13/08 05:09 AM (PDT)

2006 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my Kia for just over two years and it's still doing excellent. I'm coming up on 20k mileage and nothing has broken or been replaced outside it's maintenance. Very reliable if taken care of, and well worth the money.

Nice car
By David J on 04/27/08 21:49 PM (PDT)

2006 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

The car now has 14,000 miles and so far no problems. It handles/drives very nicely for a car of this class. I test drove a Nissan Sentra and a Honda Civic and they did not drive as good as this Kia. It is quiet on the road even at highway speeds. It performs well, engine is peppy. The automatic transmission shifts very smoothly. It steers/brakes excellently, turns nicely. Radio sounds great. Trunk has spacious room for this type of car, especially with rear seat backs folded down. I get 32.7 MPG combined with mostly city/heavy urban driving. You get good value for the money with this car.

Well Worth The Money
By GoldyLockz on 04/24/08 16:14 PM (PDT)

2006 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car in '06, and I have NEVER had a single problem other then replacing an accent bulb. Gas mileage is excellent averaging at about 36 MPG and it being extremely cute doesn't hurt either! Awesome buy for it's class! And I personally think the sound quality is great and and the ride is super quiet.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.