Used 2006 Kia Rio Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Kia Rio - Consumer Reviews

2006 Kia Rio Sedan

View reviews for a specific Rio model:

Hazard switch location
By hjshaffer673

2006 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Just bought this vehicle with 71,000 miles. So far I really like it. Just one complaint. Hopefully its been moved since. I seriously dislike that each time I reach to change the volume of the stereo, may hand hits that emergency flasher button making me check that I didn't accidently turn them on.

Better than expected
By jequines

2006 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Bought second hand for my wife and she loves it, I sorta like it. Has heated front seats which was surprising for a car like a rio. Gas mileage is excellent performance is adequate and comfort is adequate also. I was expecting this car to be horrible but she loved it so we got it. It has 60,000kms on it now with only 2 problems, spark plugs died at 40,000km no big deal, but timing belt slipped around the same time and had to be replaced for $800 not under warranty! Metal body is poor quality every stone chip begins rusting immediately unlike domestic galvanized cars. Overall I would buy again(for the wife).

Favorite Features

Heated front seats!!!!

Suggested Improvements

Better paint and sheet metal, I am preparing for this car to dissolve in the rain one day.

Would buy it again
By Tom

2006 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I really enjoy the car's spacious trunk and interior. It drives very well for a car of this class and feels safe. I trust my lead-footed teenager with it. My only regret is that after four years it gives me no reason to trade it on a new Forte or Soul. My wife drives an 06 Kia Sedona and these are both reliable, satisfying autos. I hate taking it in for the annual inspection and having to walk through the showroom past the new models.

Favorite Features

Fold down rear seats and large trunk. Also, the large side moldings are tasteful and effective at protecting the doors.

Suggested Improvements

None that wouldn't add unnecessarily to the cost. I'm coming up with nothing here.

Buy 'em for life...
By Big John

2006 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned 6 Rio's and still have 4. Speaks volumes? Always serviced on time. Run great even in winter. Great traction on any road in any weather. Decent acceleration. Cruise all day at 65 MPH and still get 35 MPG. Good visibility all around, comfortable seats, good sound system, great A/C, adjustable wheel, decent headlights, ample cup holders, arm rest. I prefer the manual transmission over the automatic as it requires less service. I own both versions. Finding Kia mechanics who know what they're doing is not easy. I've found better self employed mechanics than factory trained individuals. The warranty is basically useless at the mercy of lousy mechanics.

Favorite Features

35 MPG, ice cold a/c, great sound system, excellent traction in any weather, great visibility, comfortable seats, ample head and leg room. It's all good in a Rio. Car never needs waxing. Always shines after washed.

Suggested Improvements

Mechanics who know what they're doing. Reputable service departments. Open viewing galleries at dealership service departments. Loyal customers need confidence in Kia's ability to maintain integrity of dealerships. Buy expensive off warranty parts from eBay for thousands less. I needed a tranny

So far so good.
By Go Green

2006 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Our Rio has over 68,000 miles on it and has had no problems. Steering, brakes, everything on this car is still as tight as the day we got it. My wife had traded in her gas guzzling Jeep Cherokee and we laughed at her choice. When gas prices rose, I began using it for selling Real Estate and my clients are shocked when they find how roomy the back seat is. It is a great car for scooting around the city and taking a trip does not break the bank. With a fresh oil change I can get up to 38 mpg on the highway! City driving gets from 25 to 32 mpg. Fresh oil affects the mileage so keep it serviced.

Favorite Features

Great Mileage and exterior design.

Suggested Improvements

Would opt for power windows and cruise control at the very least.