2006 Kia Rio - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rio model:
Killed one, going on another!
By adoom on 01/06/14 11:59 AM (PST)

2006 Kia Rio 5 SX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I had a used 2006 Rio5 for a short bit before getting t-boned in a winter storm. The offender was a dodge caravan making an illegal left turn. The Rio took the hit well, with little damage to me...but the car was a write-off. After much searching for a new car, I ended up buying the exact same model. The Rio5 is great on gas, the 5sp is peppy enough to be fun. The spare tire cover is crap, I recommend buying a piece of plywood to cover it. The balljoints in the 3 kia rio5's that I have driven have all needed replacing.

Hazard switch location
By hjshaffer673 on 04/13/13 08:09 AM (PDT)

2006 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Just bought this vehicle with 71,000 miles. So far I really like it. Just one complaint. Hopefully its been moved since. I seriously dislike that each time I reach to change the volume of the stereo, may hand hits that emergency flasher button making me check that I didn't accidently turn them on.

Better than expected
By jequines on 02/04/11 11:38 AM (PST)

2006 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Bought second hand for my wife and she loves it, I sorta like it. Has heated front seats which was surprising for a car like a rio. Gas mileage is excellent performance is adequate and comfort is adequate also. I was expecting this car to be horrible but she loved it so we got it. It has 60,000kms on it now with only 2 problems, spark plugs died at 40,000km no big deal, but timing belt slipped around the same time and had to be replaced for $800 not under warranty! Metal body is poor quality every stone chip begins rusting immediately unlike domestic galvanized cars. Overall I would buy again(for the wife).

Would buy it again
By Tom on 08/13/10 13:56 PM (PDT)

2006 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I really enjoy the car's spacious trunk and interior. It drives very well for a car of this class and feels safe. I trust my lead-footed teenager with it. My only regret is that after four years it gives me no reason to trade it on a new Forte or Soul. My wife drives an 06 Kia Sedona and these are both reliable, satisfying autos. I hate taking it in for the annual inspection and having to walk through the showroom past the new models.

Buy 'em for life...
By Big John on 03/20/10 01:08 AM (PDT)

2006 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned 6 Rio's and still have 4. Speaks volumes? Always serviced on time. Run great even in winter. Great traction on any road in any weather. Decent acceleration. Cruise all day at 65 MPH and still get 35 MPG. Good visibility all around, comfortable seats, good sound system, great A/C, adjustable wheel, decent headlights, ample cup holders, arm rest. I prefer the manual transmission over the automatic as it requires less service. I own both versions. Finding Kia mechanics who know what they're doing is not easy. I've found better self employed mechanics than factory trained individuals. The warranty is basically useless at the mercy of lousy mechanics.

pleased with this car
By petevt on 03/13/10 16:13 PM (PST)

2006 Kia Rio 5 SX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Nearing 79,000 miles, all driving done in and around the mountains of southern vt. Except for 5k oil changes and regular service, the only work I've needed is a wheel bearing, fuel tank purge solenoid and air bag wiring clip (all covered under waranty). Put 4 good studded snows on this car and you'll go anywhere. 34-35 miles per gallon, I've hit 39 on the highway, driving at 60-65 miles per hour

So far so good.
By Go Green on 08/25/09 14:20 PM (PDT)

2006 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Our Rio has over 68,000 miles on it and has had no problems. Steering, brakes, everything on this car is still as tight as the day we got it. My wife had traded in her gas guzzling Jeep Cherokee and we laughed at her choice. When gas prices rose, I began using it for selling Real Estate and my clients are shocked when they find how roomy the back seat is. It is a great car for scooting around the city and taking a trip does not break the bank. With a fresh oil change I can get up to 38 mpg on the highway! City driving gets from 25 to 32 mpg. Fresh oil affects the mileage so keep it serviced.

Wish it was stronger but a overall good
By OLDSCHOOLDEVIL on 08/25/09 11:23 AM (PDT)

2006 Kia Rio 5 SX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I'll tell you I'm hard and neglectful on cars and this Rio has kept up. I didnt give it a oil change for 15000 miles and it started and drove like a champ. I have had small problems (eats through tires and brakes wear.) Not to confy. I drove from California to Texas and I'll say I'm young and those seats i cant stand to sit in them for more than a hour. Decent on gas. I'd recommend this car to young kids that are neglectful and need a good car to get them by. Nothing fancy. I do like the strong speaker system.

best fuel efficient, reliable car
By euroboy on 04/20/09 20:20 PM (PDT)

2006 Kia Rio 5 SX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

My 2006 rio5 has already 385,000 km on it and is still running perfectly. It's my second rio, I drive it for a living, and I love the car, I cannot say a bad word about it, it never gave me any problems at all. The only thing I fixed so far are: ball joints, wheel bearings, tie rods (rough country roads) & fuel purge valve (filthy north American gasoline) buy the car new, maintain it well, don't drive it like a maniac (I. E. Floor the gas pedal), change oil every 5000 km, timing belt every 100,000, put premium fuel in it and she will never fail you! To the guy whose rio stalls & overheats on the hwy: go buy a tank!

brake problems and gas pedal problems
By karen on 04/03/09 11:30 AM (PDT)

2006 Kia Rio 5 SX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased because of the cost and size along with good mileage. I have had 3 brake cylinders replaced in less than 1 year two of them on the same side and still my brakes are squeaky and at times making noises that I have never had before in any vehicle I have ever driven. They seem unwilling or unable to diagnose the real problem. I am very disatisfied with the car. Problems with the gas pedal sticking 1st thing in the morning and they are unable to find the problem with that as well. I'm unhappy with the car.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.