2005 Kia Rio Consumer Review: Please be aware

2005 Kia Rio - Consumer Review

Base Sedan (1.6L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Please be aware
By buyerbeware9 on

2005 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased this car from the original owner and at first was delighted with car. Kia was in great shape inside and out about 40k miles. Car was maintained according to manufacturer. Took car for oil change to dealer and was told because I was second owner warranty was not transferable so any repairs would be on me. At 74,000k car just stopped dead no warning. Had car towed to shop..what do ya know the timing belt broke and destroyed top part of engine. I was never informed of this until after the fact you are to replace the timing belt at or before 60,000 K. Kia said so sorry we can't help you. I have owned many cars from Lexis, Toyota, Honda and American and NEVER had this issue BEWARE !

Favorite Features

Easy to fit in parking spaces and decent gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Use a better quality timing belt and make sure consumer is very aware of how important it is to replace timing belt at 60,000K or before. Otherwise the result is a disaster money wise....my disaster cost us $1500.00 for the top part of engine........
By wondering13
on 02/12/13 15:11 PM (PST)

my only problem is the rack and pionion (spell check) is having to be redone thank god my dad is a mechanic..but no one can make the 2 lines that the new one doesnt come with..i love this car besides the frustration of getting it fixed. its my only car so its nerve racking...i had a ford taurus and that was a big NO NO...i have spent over 7,000 dollars on it in 3 years..dont buy a taurus..im hoping the kia doesnt need anything else cause im broke.. :( i have replaced a few things but because i wanted to..