Used 2005 Kia Rio Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Kia Rio Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rio model:

Fairly Happy
By Ricky

2005 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I got this little Rio about a month ago and so far I am pretty happy with it. I feel like I got a great deal on the car and the fact the car was going to be better on gas than my old '91 Dakota. While the fuel consumption on this car isn't too bad, I definitely feel like it could be better. The engine is a bit lethargic for highway driving and the car itself does tend to feel a little "unsafe" doing anything over 60 mph. The interior is bigger than what someone would judge it would be by the outside. Handling is pretty precise and it extremely light! Overall, this car seems dependable and practical so far.

I appreciate the clean layout of the dashboard and gauges. The car's size and maneuverability is great. Fuel economy has been a solid 24 mpg for me that stayed the same on a 150 mile round trip that was mostly highway. Not too bad but could be better.

I wish the engine was stronger and shifted more precisely. The engine also lags quite a bit when the A/C is on. I also feel like the exterior of the car dents and scratches easily. And why do the windshield wipers make a clicking when they are on the intermittent setting?

thrown rod-86ed engine
By Ashlee

2005 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

got 3months service out of my baby. I bought it used, stopped at a traffic light, the engine died and wouldn't start. I had it towed to the mechanic & a rod had broken & pierced the engine which is now ruined. Kia was nice, but sense I am the second owner I'm out of luck. a new engine cost more than the car is worth, so I'm out the $3,000.00 I still owe on it.

Beware the timing belt
By Phil Hall

2005 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Normally, I would say that this is a nice car, decent (not great) milage, good features, all in all an ok vehicle. But there is one thing you need to make sure of: the timing belt. It says to replace it every 60000 miles, I would replace that far sooner because this is an interference engine--if the belt breaks when the car is running your engine will be shot. As in dead. New car time. This design choice alone must account for the lower Reliability rating. There is no reason whatsoever that a single point of failure should destroy an engine.

Seats 4 adults, decent milage, fun to drive.

a non-interference engine design, a little better fuel economy, and replace the timing belt with a chain. These three changes would make the Rio a much better value.

Get What You Give
By grinddesigns

2005 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Follow your owners manual like it is a Bible. You must change your engine timing belt at 60,000 miles ! Please do not make the same mistake that I did. If you search the Internet about this you will find 1,000 other people saying this, trust me change that timing belt at 60,000 and you won't be sorry. I never had a problem with this vehicle that was not because of my own negligence. If you change your oil regularly, keep an eye on all of your fluids, and be sure to change the timing belt at 60k, this car will be worth the money. This was my first vehicle and I learned costly lessons from not following the regular maintenance schedule so I advise you to follow most of it to a t.

Gas mileage, speaker system, spacious trunk,

It is what it is.

What A Great Deal
By Noru

2005 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for my daughter for school, only to find out that I really like this car for myself, too bad it's her car and Iím out of luck. I paid $3700 plus tax, tags, title. The price was right because the first owner fails to change the timing belt at 60K miles, and timing belt broke and ruined the original engine. Kia dealer replaced engine and now the car runs like brand new. So donít forget to change timing belt ever 60k miles. The gas mileage is great, am getting between 36-40 on the highway and 27-29 in town. I drive this car like an old man going nowhere in a hurry. I will check out a used 2006 Kia Rio for myself next time I need a car.

The interior of the car is nice, it has a stable highway and in town ride, the noise level is acceptable for such a small cheap car. This is a very good town car and Iím going to keep it as long as we can. Very reliable so far and everything works on the car. Great gas mileage.

Better window seal to keep wind leaks out, air condition unit will restrain engine power in around town driving, but ok on the highway.