Used 2005 Kia Rio Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Kia Rio - Consumer Reviews

2005 Kia Rio Wagon

View reviews for a specific Rio model:

The Rio has it where it counts!
By VonSpyder

2005 Kia Rio Wagon Cinco 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I can honestly say Kia built a tough little car with everything one would need a car to do. The 5 door wagon has more than ample cargo space and the front seats offer A LOT of leg room (I'm 6'5" and comfortable!) the handling is great, the acceleration is adequate but nothing to write home about and at 4.00 a gallon I fill up on about 40 bucks (due to the 11 gallon tank) I was in a wreck on I-285 in this car and while extensively damaged the car held together and even made it home and to the collision center and will be road worthy again in a week! This car saved my life! She can take a beating! Stereo system is great, view of the road is excellent! Lots of cargo space for a tiny wagon!

Favorite Features

Arm rests, tight steering, adjustable drivers seat, excellent dashboard layout, nice trim design, sharp looking car, awesome stereo, LOTS of front seat leg room! very safe and reliable care and no problems even after 70000 miles and I drive this baby A LOT! passing is no problem!

Suggested Improvements

I put in a K&N high flow air filter to increase power and fuel economy, as initial acceleration drags a little bit, but not much. The braking power leaves a bit to be desired, plan your stopping well ahead.

Take That! Oil Barons
By B Holmes

2005 Kia Rio Wagon Cinco 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Although the EPA fuel economy ratings were in the mid-30's, I consistently get 40+ MPG. This car is not a luxury status symbol, but as a commuter car, cannot be beat. I paid only $7,000 for a new car with excellent economy, reasonable power and great handling. Would love to see Ford or Chevrolet match that. I went from driving a Jeep Grand Cherokee that averages 17MPG to this. I commute over 100 miles a day, and the fuel savings are more than I pay for the car.

could be a cool car
By Robert

2005 Kia Rio Wagon Cinco 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Since purchasing my Kia Rio Cinco in 2003, I haven't had any major problems with the vehicle. I have had to take it back to have about seven items repaired or replaced. My biggest complaint is the lack of horsepower and poor gas mileage.

Favorite Features

I like the look of the rear end of the vehicle. Styling Similar to an old Jaguar XKE 2+2 or the new Mercedes 280. I like the stereo. Not a bad sound.

Suggested Improvements

Should offer other horsepower engines up to at least 160 hp. I installed ram air on the vehicle which seems to have helped both the horsepower and gas mileage after you reach about 40 mph and you can feel the ram air start to kick in; not turbo like but noticeably better.

SPORTY LITTLE GROCERY GETTER
By TomC

2005 Kia Rio Wagon Cinco 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my Rio Cinco in January 2005. It is a sporty little car for the price. The fuel economy is excellent. Styling is sporty. Overall it is a sporty little grocery getter.

Favorite Features

Lumbar support for driver, rear window wiper, standard CD player.

Suggested Improvements

A little less plastic in interior.

Kia Rio Cinco Worst car ever
By Joe Cacadeech

2005 Kia Rio Wagon Cinco 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the Rio as mainly a commuter car and I regret I did. It's really cramped interior whether in the front or back. If that's not enough the totally underpowered engine will make you sick. The gas mileage is terrible considering how small the car is (average 19 city/25 hwy); come on it doesn't even compare to cars that are bigger or have more power, and forget about merging onto a highway or passing. If you're considering a car in this market, avoid this one at all costs and go with the also Korean made Chevy Aveo. Trust me the Kia is terrible. But to be fair it does start up every morning and it has an excellent warranty

Favorite Features

It's small enough to park anywhere.

Suggested Improvements

More power, more room for people taller than 5' 4", tighten up the squeaky interior, and how about better gas mileage.