Used 2005 Kia Rio Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Kia Rio - Consumer Reviews

Base Sedan (1.6L 4-cyl. 4-speed Automatic)

View reviews for a specific Rio model:
so far kinda happy
By wondering13 on 02/12/13 15:13 PM (PST)

2005 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

my only problem is the rack and pionion (spell check) is having to be redone thank god my dad is a mechanic..but no one can make the 2 lines that the new one doesnt come with..i love this car besides the frustration of getting it fixed. its my only car so its nerve racking...i had a ford taurus and that was a big NO NO...i have spent over 7,000 dollars on it in 3 years..dont buy a taurus..im hoping the kia doesnt need anything else cause im broke.. :( i have replaced a few things but because i wanted to..

AWESOME!!!!!!!!
By krol on 06/29/11 06:09 AM (PDT)

2005 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

The Kia Rio 2005, it's been my first car. I had it now since 2007, I had a couple problems with the axle. But nothing super expensive, or unfix-able plus this is a used car. People tell me it feels like you are in a go car, which i dont mind it actually feels cool! It is comfy and perfect for a petite person. After all there years still works perfect!!!!!!!!!! Oh the gas is good!

Don't even think about it...
By aeblanch09 on 05/27/11 12:27 PM (PDT)

2005 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I got this car for my first car and i am desperately trying to get rid of this thing! Two weeks after i got it, 2 of my belts needed replacing. Not only did the dealer keep it for 3 weeks to "fix it", the day that i got it back the fan stopped working and my car overheated. Needless to say we sent it back to the dealer. They fixed the fan, but ever since then i've been having radiator problems. Constant overheating, had to replace all sensors, etc.. Not worth a penny, but if you do decide to get one make sure you keep a full jug of coolant in your back seat!

Worst mistake ever made!
By Unhappy on 10/24/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased the Kia Rio from a local Kia dealer and have regretted it ever since. Bought it for $8k, got $2k off for a trade in. It was the most adorable car I'd ever driven, but I shouldn't have let it blind me. The salesman took me on a predetermined route and wouldn't let me go on the highway or let my mechanic peek at it first. It was at about 55,600 miles when I bought it and about three months after I bought the car the engine died at about 56,500 miles. This is apparently a known issue but Kia has done nothing about it. Total estimated cost of repairs for that was quoted at $2600 and I decided it wasn't worth it.

Fairly Happy
By Ricky on 05/30/10 12:08 PM (PDT)

2005 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I got this little Rio about a month ago and so far I am pretty happy with it. I feel like I got a great deal on the car and the fact the car was going to be better on gas than my old '91 Dakota. While the fuel consumption on this car isn't too bad, I definitely feel like it could be better. The engine is a bit lethargic for highway driving and the car itself does tend to feel a little "unsafe" doing anything over 60 mph. The interior is bigger than what someone would judge it would be by the outside. Handling is pretty precise and it extremely light! Overall, this car seems dependable and practical so far.

thrown rod-86ed engine
By Ashlee on 04/24/10 19:58 PM (PDT)

2005 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

got 3months service out of my baby. I bought it used, stopped at a traffic light, the engine died and wouldn't start. I had it towed to the mechanic & a rod had broken & pierced the engine which is now ruined. Kia was nice, but sense I am the second owner I'm out of luck. a new engine cost more than the car is worth, so I'm out the $3,000.00 I still owe on it.

Beware the timing belt
By Phil Hall on 10/19/09 08:39 AM (PDT)

2005 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Normally, I would say that this is a nice car, decent (not great) milage, good features, all in all an ok vehicle. But there is one thing you need to make sure of: the timing belt. It says to replace it every 60000 miles, I would replace that far sooner because this is an interference engine--if the belt breaks when the car is running your engine will be shot. As in dead. New car time. This design choice alone must account for the lower Reliability rating. There is no reason whatsoever that a single point of failure should destroy an engine.

Excellent
By Mary Felt on 09/07/05 18:17 PM (PDT)

2005 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

The Kia Rio is an awesome car! It is the second brand new Kia I have purchased, my first being a Kia Sephia. I would purchase Kia in the future.

Happy mom and kids
By Mom of 2 on 09/05/05 15:08 PM (PDT)

2005 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

When I bought this car, I was looking for something small enough for me to drive, yet big enough for me and my two kids (5 months and 8 years old). I love my car. My son's car seat fits well in the back seat and my daughter has lots of room. The trunk is large enough to hold my son's humongous stroller and I can still get a good amount of groceries in there too!

My First Kia
By Burtimymus on 07/20/05 22:46 PM (PDT)

2005 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Great first time small car; since I've owned it have done over 1000 miles & it hasn't missed a beat. Did not like that I couldn't order a base one from my dealer but the up package I got with A/C made it a better car than I thought it would be. I love this car so far, the only downside I have noticed is I have to turn the overdrive off when going up steep hills, but definitely cannot grumble about the warranty. At the price I paid this car is a steal.