2004 Kia Rio Consumer Review: Friends don't let friends buy

2004 Kia Rio - Consumer Review

Base Sedan (1.6L 4-cyl. 4-speed Automatic)

Friends don't let friends buy Rios
By peterssd on

2004 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my Kia Rio new in 2004 and treated it well - always got oil changes on time, replaced the timing belt at 90,000 miles (I was told to do it by 100k). Within 3 years of purchase the brake proportioning valve went bad. W/in 2 years the rear tires were going bald far faster than they should have - turns out I was sold a new car with a bent rear axle. Past 2 years (100-120k): intermittent electrical problem that we finally realized (after replacing the spark plugs/wires 2x) was a cracked engine coil. Last week (139k): fourth cylinder blew.

Got relatively good gas mileage (about 28-30 mpg), but my partner's 03 Toyota Matrix did just as well with far more pep.

The interior is poorly designed, but I could live with that. I expect that if I pay for a new car with a 100k mile warranty, it will run reliably for at least 150k miles. I will never buy another Kia again.