Used 2004 Kia Rio Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Kia Rio - Consumer Reviews

2004 Kia Rio Sedan

View reviews for a specific Rio model:

Great little car
By huff3

2004 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Rio used, had all servicing done. Still under warranty. Had this car on a 1k trip last month. Got anywhere from 29 to 33 mpg. Had no problems at all. I have just had 60 k service done, new timing belt, etc. This must be done on time for 4 cylinder engines. This Rio is very reliable, uses no oil, is easy to park, has an adjustable driverís seat (helps on long trips). Best thing about this car is the warranty. It is much longer than US cars and the service department never gives me a hard time. Better yet is gas mileage.

Favorite Features

Driver arm rest, seat adjustment, gas mileage, good brakes, electric windows and auto door locks. Good visibility. Looks good.

Suggested Improvements

Fold down rear seat.

Enough Car for the Road
By Light foot

2004 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

My only beef is that if you happen to be stuck in the middle of nowhere with a burned out tail light, and eager to replace it before you get back on the highway, don't rely on the owner's manual for proper instructions to replace it. Even the dealer's tech had difficulty. The company needs to send every owner an addendum that truly instructs on how to replace a tail light. Otherwise you will be one frustrated driver and prone to a police stop. The existing manual has only two instructions. The second one is "Carefully remove the tail light assembly from the body." Duh!

Favorite Features

The tachometer is the grown-up's toy.

Suggested Improvements

By owning this car you will get basic transportation. After all, all cars have to follow the same rules of the road. You won't be disappointed if you do. If the company is truly interested in owners doing their own low level maintenance, the manual should be more detailed in those areas.

No Complaints here
By TheDrake

2004 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Rio in March of 2004 and I love it to bits. I have no complaints and I think I will always own a KIA. They have impressed me with there service and I love my car.

Favorite Features

That I have never had a warranty issue and I have heard the nightmares from other manufacturers. Warranty is awesome. It is fun to drive and does everything I need.

Suggested Improvements

None, have you seen the new Rio's they are only getting better.

This car NOT OKia
By carl

2004 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Extremely disappointed in the car, have made 7 trips to the dealer for warranty service on a wind noise, door handle operation, transmission has been replaced twice within 24,000 miles and the car is way underpowered and loses speed rapidly when going up any even slight incline. God forbid you are running the air conditioner as it sucks the remaining horsepower right out of the engine and the engine runs extremely rough with the A/C compressor engaged. Great that there is a 100,000 mile warranty, but believe me you have to use it all the time! Dealership service mechanics are also incompetent.

Favorite Features

The radio/ CD is ok, driver seat comfortable. It could be a fun little car to drive with more HP.

Suggested Improvements

More horsepower to improve acceleration and performance when A/C is on, better handling.

Good Commuter Car, Got it a Great Price
By pslims

2004 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I got my 2004 Rio last month. I was looking for a commuter car to drive about 20-30 minutes on the highway to work. So far I am pleased with the car. It was manual transmission (the automatic drove horrible) and manual windows, locks, no ABS, no stereo. Overall, I am happy with the car as a commuter car. I probably would not have bought this car but for the price I paid, it was definitely worth it.

Favorite Features

1. Price --- brand new 2004 Rio for $6500! It was manual transmission (which is ok because the automatic drove horrible) 2. Gas Mileage: I drive mostly highway and get 30 - 34 mpg 3. Warranty: 10yr 100K powertrain, 5yr 60K mile bumper to bumper 4. Engine Power: zippy 5. Safety: adequate.

Suggested Improvements

1. Bad Suspension - does not take bumps well. I will try to add better shocks and tires 2. Needs 6th Speed - at 65-70 mph, sounds like it needs to shift 3. Engine Smell for the first 1000 miles. The dealer said a temporary engine spray coating burns and makes the smell.