Used 2004 Kia Rio Consumer Reviews - 77 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Kia Rio - Consumer Reviews

2004 Kia Rio

View reviews for a specific Rio model:

Worse car ever
By littlebluetoad

2004 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in january of 06, it ran fine until june the following year where just randomly the engine died so i spent 3k to get it fixed then on top of that i had the cooling motor die the brakes have been replaced a few times already, and now even after the newer engine its still giving me problems. I am scared to get into my car and drive it every day in fear of it breaking down on me. Also, as others have mentioned, the AC sucks all the power out of the car so in the hot summer you can't always have it on. I feel bad for those i see who just bought a kia rio and are driving it around. Plus the resale value goes down a couple grand right off the lot. it's not worth it at all!!

CD player

the engine, brakes, the a/c the power and the reliability and stability of the car

My little bug
By donald roberts

2004 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I think my Kia Rio is a pretty neat, reliable car. If I had a son or daughter I'd feel safe in giving it to either of them for a 19th birthday. It has never given me any mechanical problems to deal with and the gas mileage is pretty good too. However, I think I will trade it in on a Toyota Prius at the end of this year, if I don't buy a new home.

It has good gas mileage, and the body styling isn't bad either.

I think that Kia needs to change the Rio to a hybrid. Hybrids should be the future of automobiles in my opinion.

Great little car
By huff3

2004 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Rio used, had all servicing done. Still under warranty. Had this car on a 1k trip last month. Got anywhere from 29 to 33 mpg. Had no problems at all. I have just had 60 k service done, new timing belt, etc. This must be done on time for 4 cylinder engines. This Rio is very reliable, uses no oil, is easy to park, has an adjustable driver’s seat (helps on long trips). Best thing about this car is the warranty. It is much longer than US cars and the service department never gives me a hard time. Better yet is gas mileage.

Driver arm rest, seat adjustment, gas mileage, good brakes, electric windows and auto door locks. Good visibility. Looks good.

Fold down rear seat.

Enough Car for the Road
By Light foot

2004 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

My only beef is that if you happen to be stuck in the middle of nowhere with a burned out tail light, and eager to replace it before you get back on the highway, don't rely on the owner's manual for proper instructions to replace it. Even the dealer's tech had difficulty. The company needs to send every owner an addendum that truly instructs on how to replace a tail light. Otherwise you will be one frustrated driver and prone to a police stop. The existing manual has only two instructions. The second one is "Carefully remove the tail light assembly from the body." Duh!

The tachometer is the grown-up's toy.

By owning this car you will get basic transportation. After all, all cars have to follow the same rules of the road. You won't be disappointed if you do. If the company is truly interested in owners doing their own low level maintenance, the manual should be more detailed in those areas.

A Great Little Car!
By armyboy404

2004 Kia Rio Cinco 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Cinco for 6 months now and it has been GREAT! I live in metro Atlanta so driving is a way of life around here. My Cinco handles wonderfully. I've also done long distance driving and it was very comfortable.

I like the interior a lot. All the controls are easy to handle. The fold down rear seats and cargo space are incredible too.

Cruise control would be nice for those long trips. Otherwise there's nothing I can think of.