Used 2004 Kia Rio Consumer Reviews - 77 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Kia Rio - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rio model:

NEVER BUY A KIA!!
By akheier

2004 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I was driving home down hwy 50 and the car suddenly shut off. There were 2 semi-trucks behind me that had to swerve to miss me! I was almost killed over this stupid car! As I drove it happened a few more times and it turned out to be the circuit breaker. Since then I have had probs with brakes, AC, axle, and now the trans! The car I drove before this gave me very few minor probs until the trans finally went out at 206k miles. The Kia only has 52K! Please listen to my advice and stay away from Korean cars or any Asian car for that matter

The only things I like about this horrible car is that it gets good gas mileage and the speakers are surprisingly good.

Cheap on gas, high on repairs
By goatgirl

2004 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This car gets good mileage, 33-41 mpg, but you pay for it in repairs. It is only 5 years old and I have had to replace a wheel bearing, after 3 years, the air intake x2 in 3 years, leaving us stranded both times. Front end feels out of alignment, even after getting alignment, and having new tires balanced. Driver's side wiper arm is stripped, most things are dealer items so spendy. Seat belt on driver side back seat quit working right after the 60,000 warranty ran out. Radiator overflow hose came off twice. Hubby threatens to sell it all the time.

Good gas mileage, air conditioner works very well, should for $1,100 extra.

never own another
By kia krap

2004 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Kia for a few months now. The car has no take off. It ran at 4000 rpm going 65 mph then it dropped all 16 valves and blew the pistons into pieces

the cup holders

everything

Buying a used Rio
By Rio Owner

2004 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I recently bought a used 2004 Rio. Overall it handles beautifully on Highway and city driving, 45 MPH is ideal. On the freeway it is a rough. I live on a hill and it feels like I am driving over ripples when I hit the brakes to slow down. It is a little alarming at first, it feels like a flat tire. I do like the car, it looks nice also and can be found relatively cheap used and with low miles.

Very comfortable for the driver Steering and handling is very fluid on a smooth road. Seems to save as much gas as my old Toyota.

The suspension will be a problem for those who need to drive freeways of old roads frequently.

great buy
By Will Lowe

2004 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great car for what you pay for it. For what you spend on gas a year, it will pay itself off in 3 years. At 4.55 a gal I pay $32 to fill it up. I get 40 mpg hwy and 32 city. I have 43,000 mile and runs great. Dependable and reliable. There is one thing that is flawed with it design when you drive it make a noise when your on the h. W it whistles when the wind hits it at a certain direction. The A.C. kind of sucks but the climate here in the bay area is nice and cool.