Used 2004 Kia Rio Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Kia Rio Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rio model:

Not bad at all
By Chelsea

2004 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Ive recently purchased my kia after my nissan gave out. It drives great for me but I have noticed that when i am stopping, it sometimes feels like rippling. The drive is smooth other than that on. The take off isnt great but for a car that will be used between my old car and when i get a brand new one one day, its great. Great fit for my small family.

Kia Rio - TIMING BELT FAILURE low miles!
By Henry

2004 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Original owners of a 2004 Kia Rio with 10/100000k warranty, the other morning the car died at intersection. Had it towed to the dealer who says the Timing belt broke. The car has less than 60k, and is just barely 6 years old, and the timing belt is not covered under warranty. Now we have a lawn ornament because while Kia admits to a poor design in those 1.6L belts, they are sorry for our luck. Needs new engine! Recommend replacing belt at 5yrs or 60k

The unpredictability of how it would react to tail wind from larger vehicles on the freeway

Custer service! While Kia expresses regret over the poor experience we've had, they offer nothing that would justify us buying another Kia again!

I love my 2004 Rio
By Jeniecew

2004 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I just want to start off by saying that I previously owned a 2002 Kia Rio Cinco, I bought the car at 73,000 miles at 81,000 THE ENGINE SEIZED up I was so angry because I still owed $5000 on the car. I contacted Parker Toyota and to make the longs story short they wrote off the balance on that car and got me into my 2004 Kia Rio with only 13,000 miles. I have had awsome luck on this car granted I have only put 9,000 miles on it in 13 months, but it has never let me down. It drives great in the snowy conditions and gets great gas mileage. I have not experienced any problems when using the AC and let me tell you I live in Eastern Washington and we get a little bit of ALL the weather conditions.

The arm rest for the driver, gas mileage and how small it is... VERY fun to drive.

I would say maybe a 6th gear engine is a little loud at 70mph

NEVER BUY A KIA!!
By akheier

2004 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I was driving home down hwy 50 and the car suddenly shut off. There were 2 semi-trucks behind me that had to swerve to miss me! I was almost killed over this stupid car! As I drove it happened a few more times and it turned out to be the circuit breaker. Since then I have had probs with brakes, AC, axle, and now the trans! The car I drove before this gave me very few minor probs until the trans finally went out at 206k miles. The Kia only has 52K! Please listen to my advice and stay away from Korean cars or any Asian car for that matter

The only things I like about this horrible car is that it gets good gas mileage and the speakers are surprisingly good.

Cheap on gas, high on repairs
By goatgirl

2004 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This car gets good mileage, 33-41 mpg, but you pay for it in repairs. It is only 5 years old and I have had to replace a wheel bearing, after 3 years, the air intake x2 in 3 years, leaving us stranded both times. Front end feels out of alignment, even after getting alignment, and having new tires balanced. Driver's side wiper arm is stripped, most things are dealer items so spendy. Seat belt on driver side back seat quit working right after the 60,000 warranty ran out. Radiator overflow hose came off twice. Hubby threatens to sell it all the time.

Good gas mileage, air conditioner works very well, should for $1,100 extra.