2004 Kia Rio - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rio model:
Not bad at all
By Chelsea on 02/27/10 08:53 AM (PST)

2004 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Ive recently purchased my kia after my nissan gave out. It drives great for me but I have noticed that when i am stopping, it sometimes feels like rippling. The drive is smooth other than that on. The take off isnt great but for a car that will be used between my old car and when i get a brand new one one day, its great. Great fit for my small family.

Kia Rio - TIMING BELT FAILURE low miles!
By Henry on 02/02/10 10:44 AM (PST)

2004 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Original owners of a 2004 Kia Rio with 10/100000k warranty, the other morning the car died at intersection. Had it towed to the dealer who says the Timing belt broke. The car has less than 60k, and is just barely 6 years old, and the timing belt is not covered under warranty. Now we have a lawn ornament because while Kia admits to a poor design in those 1.6L belts, they are sorry for our luck. Needs new engine! Recommend replacing belt at 5yrs or 60k

155,000 miles and still running
By midwest on 08/04/09 11:02 AM (PDT)

2004 Kia Rio Cinco 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I commute appox 120 (highway) miles each day in the Midwest (extreme weather, including snow, 100 degree and below zero degree weather days) using this car. I currently have 155K miles on the car. I regularly change the oil (synthetic blend after 100K) and get the belts (timing) replaced every 60K miles. Just this year I have experienced some looseness in using 1st gear (manual transmission). My goal is to get 200K miles out of the car.

I love my 2004 Rio
By Jeniecew on 03/16/09 08:44 AM (PDT)

2004 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I just want to start off by saying that I previously owned a 2002 Kia Rio Cinco, I bought the car at 73,000 miles at 81,000 THE ENGINE SEIZED up I was so angry because I still owed $5000 on the car. I contacted Parker Toyota and to make the longs story short they wrote off the balance on that car and got me into my 2004 Kia Rio with only 13,000 miles. I have had awsome luck on this car granted I have only put 9,000 miles on it in 13 months, but it has never let me down. It drives great in the snowy conditions and gets great gas mileage. I have not experienced any problems when using the AC and let me tell you I live in Eastern Washington and we get a little bit of ALL the weather conditions.

NEVER BUY A KIA!!
By akheier on 02/24/09 17:52 PM (PST)

2004 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I was driving home down hwy 50 and the car suddenly shut off. There were 2 semi-trucks behind me that had to swerve to miss me! I was almost killed over this stupid car! As I drove it happened a few more times and it turned out to be the circuit breaker. Since then I have had probs with brakes, AC, axle, and now the trans! The car I drove before this gave me very few minor probs until the trans finally went out at 206k miles. The Kia only has 52K! Please listen to my advice and stay away from Korean cars or any Asian car for that matter

Cheap on gas, high on repairs
By goatgirl on 12/10/08 19:37 PM (PST)

2004 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This car gets good mileage, 33-41 mpg, but you pay for it in repairs. It is only 5 years old and I have had to replace a wheel bearing, after 3 years, the air intake x2 in 3 years, leaving us stranded both times. Front end feels out of alignment, even after getting alignment, and having new tires balanced. Driver's side wiper arm is stripped, most things are dealer items so spendy. Seat belt on driver side back seat quit working right after the 60,000 warranty ran out. Radiator overflow hose came off twice. Hubby threatens to sell it all the time.

never own another
By kia krap on 10/17/08 19:15 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Kia for a few months now. The car has no take off. It ran at 4000 rpm going 65 mph then it dropped all 16 valves and blew the pistons into pieces

Buying a used Rio
By Rio Owner on 09/25/08 22:50 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I recently bought a used 2004 Rio. Overall it handles beautifully on Highway and city driving, 45 MPH is ideal. On the freeway it is a rough. I live on a hill and it feels like I am driving over ripples when I hit the brakes to slow down. It is a little alarming at first, it feels like a flat tire. I do like the car, it looks nice also and can be found relatively cheap used and with low miles.

great buy
By Will Lowe on 07/01/08 08:03 AM (PDT)

2004 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great car for what you pay for it. For what you spend on gas a year, it will pay itself off in 3 years. At 4.55 a gal I pay $32 to fill it up. I get 40 mpg hwy and 32 city. I have 43,000 mile and runs great. Dependable and reliable. There is one thing that is flawed with it design when you drive it make a noise when your on the h. W it whistles when the wind hits it at a certain direction. The A.C. kind of sucks but the climate here in the bay area is nice and cool.

Worse car ever
By littlebluetoad on 06/25/08 09:27 AM (PDT)

2004 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in january of 06, it ran fine until june the following year where just randomly the engine died so i spent 3k to get it fixed then on top of that i had the cooling motor die the brakes have been replaced a few times already, and now even after the newer engine its still giving me problems. I am scared to get into my car and drive it every day in fear of it breaking down on me. Also, as others have mentioned, the AC sucks all the power out of the car so in the hot summer you can't always have it on. I feel bad for those i see who just bought a kia rio and are driving it around. Plus the resale value goes down a couple grand right off the lot. it's not worth it at all!!