2004 Kia Rio Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rio model:
I love my little car.
By septembersrain on 04/13/13 09:05 AM (PDT)

2004 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I enjoy driving it so much that I am going to end up replacing the motor and transmission on it. Even with replacing both of those I will still be only paying a third of what it would cost to buy a new car. Not to mention even with all the maintenance I've had done, The car has never once left me stranded. I've had cars, trucks, and SUV's prior to this car. This was the first time I've ever had this much fun driving though. Finding parking spots, flitting in and out of traffic, great gas mileage, and she's so simple. Those new cars have just too much technology that will distract me while I am driving. I can also foresee a huge expense of having to replace that technology when it goes out.

not bad, really..
By raytownman on 11/18/12 13:31 PM (PST)

2004 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Not had the car long, but so far not bad. Good mpg, rides well, comfortable. (I'm 6'4''). bought from private owner who had already had the head and belt done, along with a new clutch. So the hard stuff is done. I use it as a commuter car, and it serves me well. Not bad for me!

WORST CAR EVER
By breezy7 on 09/01/12 04:11 AM (PDT)

2004 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

My Kia Rio has kicked the bucket at 177k after a crap load of problems. I replaced everything under the sun in the cooling system. 2 new radiators. headlights, tail-lights. Drivers door doesn't lock. Two windows wont go down. I had a transmission fluid leak which was a pain in the butt breaking down every 20 min. New alternator belt. Brake fluid leak. and 2 bad oxygen sensors caused a horrible shaking. I HATE THIS CAR. EVERYTIME I GOT IT FIXED, something else went wrong.!!! NEVER AGAIN KIA. NEVERRRRR AGAIN !!!

Friends don't let friends buy Rios
By peterssd on 07/06/12 09:08 AM (PDT)

2004 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my Kia Rio new in 2004 and treated it well - always got oil changes on time, replaced the timing belt at 90,000 miles (I was told to do it by 100k). Within 3 years of purchase the brake proportioning valve went bad. W/in 2 years the rear tires were going bald far faster than they should have - turns out I was sold a new car with a bent rear axle. Past 2 years (100-120k): intermittent electrical problem that we finally realized (after replacing the spark plugs/wires 2x) was a cracked engine coil. Last week (139k): fourth cylinder blew.

I will never own a Kia again...
By mcc482 on 02/06/12 15:14 PM (PST)

2004 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Overall, this car lives up to it's reputation; you get what you pay for. The good aspects of this car are: decent fuel economy and clutch (in a 5-speed manual) is easy to engage. However, in this case, the cons significantly out weigh the pros. Performance wise, this car lacks any kind of power. You have to put the gas pedal to the floor just to merge onto the highway. The exterior of the vehicle is weak; it's extremely easy to dent and can be done with a fierce shove with the palm of your hand. As for the interior build, this car is a complete nightmare, believe me.

Rio Timing belt problems
By mttom on 11/22/11 18:37 PM (PST)

2004 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I'm tearing down a 2004 Kia Rio with 32000 miles, well cared for, Not Abused, fresh oil change and Fram filter, LOCKED engine, failed timing belt, At first I thought inferior quality belt and poor components, but this is a rugged copy of the Mazda which can run many miles, everything looks great but the belt is hard and not very flexible. Maybe Kia scrimped on this but I really doubt it, seems like a heat problem so I did a closer look. To keep engine noise to an absolute minimum, the hood is heavily insulated as well as a plastic cover plate over the engine, But in addition to that Both fenders and the firewall have a continuous rubber gasket as does most of the front of the hood,

Good car
By isaac on 09/06/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Funny the guy that posted the review about the engine 'seizing up' at 81,000 miles. that's normal-you failed to change the timing belt. the timing belt MUST be changed by 65,000 miles on Rio's, or the engine blow. Period. it's a 100% fail rate. Anyway, I live in Phoenix and the air conditioner only works when you're driving. soon as you pause at a light or brake, your air is gone. that said, it's otherwise a perfect car. i love it for its size, so much easier to maneuver i watch macho suv-drivers struggling with their Boats and laugh LOL LMAO

Last small car
By FRED on 08/22/10 18:32 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

this car has 80,000 miles on it. It speeds up very slowly and the revs are really high. also going about 70 the cars rpm are at around 4500. this car has no power. next it gets about 26 miles per gallon, but i do hammer it everytime i speed up because the slow acceleration, i probly could get around 35 if i really tried. also i slid into a curb in the winter under 5 mph and the frame bent. that's weak. also if you use this car in the winter the heat is poor. this is not a very smooth ride at high speeds either, but you get what you pay for!

Try and find a part
By Andrew on 07/01/10 16:15 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

After 50,000 miles the timing belt blew. Spent two weeks trying to track down a cylinder head under $900. Every Rio in the junk yard was in there for the same reason. Warranty void because I didn't replace the timing belt at 50,000 miles. Don't buy a Kia! Don't buy a Kia!

Friends don't let friends buy KIA's...
By tree0923 on 04/25/10 22:05 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

bought brand new, had to take to dealership often for brake and clutch issues. Timing belt broke at 57k miles destroying engine, fortunately under warranty. 'NEW' engine gets worse mpg (only 27-30). Stereo eats CD's regularly. Things break and pop off all the time. Alignment issues from day one. On my 3rd engine now that my camshaft snapped in 2 ruining the head and valves. Costs more the fix than anything I've ever owned. Leaves me stranded more often than not. This car is only worth the value of a running engine. I will never buy another KIA.