Used 2004 Kia Rio Consumer Reviews - 77 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Kia Rio - Consumer Reviews

2004 Kia Rio

View reviews for a specific Rio model:

Worth for the price car
By nilesh kulkarni

I love my little car.
By septembersrain

2004 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I enjoy driving it so much that I am going to end up replacing the motor and transmission on it. Even with replacing both of those I will still be only paying a third of what it would cost to buy a new car. Not to mention even with all the maintenance I've had done, The car has never once left me stranded. I've had cars, trucks, and SUV's prior to this car. This was the first time I've ever had this much fun driving though. Finding parking spots, flitting in and out of traffic, great gas mileage, and she's so simple.
Those new cars have just too much technology that will distract me while I am driving. I can also foresee a huge expense of having to replace that technology when it goes out.

Fun to drive, Simple, Tiny and maneuverable, Great gas mileage

not bad, really..
By raytownman

2004 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Not had the car long, but so far not bad. Good mpg, rides well, comfortable. (I'm 6'4'').
bought from private owner who had already had the head and belt done, along with a new clutch. So the hard stuff is done. I use it as a commuter car, and it serves me well. Not bad for me!

Gas economy, comfort.

A little more power, or add one more gear!

WORST CAR EVER
By breezy7

2004 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

My Kia Rio has kicked the bucket at 177k after a crap load of problems. I replaced everything under the sun in the cooling system. 2 new radiators. headlights, tail-lights. Drivers door doesn't lock. Two windows wont go down. I had a transmission fluid leak which was a pain in the butt breaking down every 20 min. New alternator belt. Brake fluid leak. and 2 bad oxygen sensors caused a horrible shaking. I HATE THIS CAR. EVERYTIME I GOT IT FIXED, something else went wrong.!!! NEVER AGAIN KIA. NEVERRRRR AGAIN !!!

The design. Good on gas as well .

EVERYTHING

Friends don't let friends buy Rios
By peterssd

2004 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my Kia Rio new in 2004 and treated it well - always got oil changes on time, replaced the timing belt at 90,000 miles (I was told to do it by 100k).
Within 3 years of purchase the brake proportioning valve went bad.
W/in 2 years the rear tires were going bald far faster than they should have - turns out I was sold a new car with a bent rear axle.
Past 2 years (100-120k): intermittent electrical problem that we finally realized (after replacing the spark plugs/wires 2x) was a cracked engine coil.
Last week (139k): fourth cylinder blew.

Got relatively good gas mileage (about 28-30 mpg), but my partner's 03 Toyota Matrix did just as well with far more pep.

The interior is poorly designed, but I could live with that. I expect that if I pay for a new car with a 100k mile warranty, it will run reliably for at least 150k miles. I will never buy another Kia again.