2003 Kia Rio 1.6L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Good no frills putter

2003 Kia Rio - Consumer Review

Base Sedan (1.6L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Good no frills putter
By spaded92 on

2003 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Great car if you need a get around vehicle..bought my 03' back in 07'. Had around 48k miles back then..Now sitting at around 125. Worst thing that's happened is a A/C line sprung a leak..no biggy..On my second timing belt..did the water pump, tensioner and pulley on the second one..lasted 120k no problems just didn't wanna chance it this next 60k. It dent's easily and the paint quality is mediocre,clearcoat sucks..the door locks have an attitude sometimes but that didn't start until the 10 yr/100k warranty was up..its an old car that's taken a fair beating..Engine still runs smooth like new. Doesn't leak a drop. I have faith this car will last another 100k if I keep it up as I have.

Favorite Features

Adjustable height and lumbar on driver seat,tachometer on at least my manual,Factory speakers still have good highs and lows for an entry level car that's 10+ years old. I get anywhere from 33-38 mpg in my manual 1.6..great little motor,I can see it being sluggish with an auto but the manual is great for getting up to speed. I'd never own anything 4 cylinder if I couldn't get a manual though.

Suggested Improvements

Wish it had a interior trunk release, water pump design is a pain..should have been driven by timing belt like most cars that have timing belts.