Disappointed.
By addii on
2003 Kia Rio Cinco 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 4A)
I bought this car second hand from a guy who drove mostly highway. In the few months that I have owned it The hatchback has locked up several times, the driver's side door only works half the time (meaning I have to climb out the passenger seat). The car has stalled on me in mid-intersection. The engine light came on and car started to lug, had to pull over it lost all acceleration. The engine constantly revs and drops back down making it impossible to get to the speed you want easily. The back right window will not open from drivers panel. Overall I'm really unhappy with this car and regret buying it.
Favorite Features
the sound system was great, loved the space and the style of it.
Suggested Improvements
Everything, I am so fed up with this car and it's constant crap.
By lizzy6
on 04/02/11 15:23 PM (PDT)

I have had a 2003 Kia Rio Sedan for 6 weeks now and have found it so unreliable. Thursday gone I took the vehicle to a mechanic to check why the engine failed to crank over which occurs at least 6 times a week. Whilst at the mechanics the engine failed, they did testing on it to find the immobiser key was faulty and I would have to buy a new one. I have started a new job and rely on a reliable car, I have got to work places late due to the engine not firing and having to wait until it starts. i carry both keys with me and have turned key around and changed keys to get car to fire up. I am fortunate to have a understanding Team Leader, it is so embarassing and awfully stressful. I now have to purchase a new key which the mechanic advised cost is between $200 and $600 had I known the issues with immobilisers I would never have bought the car. To add I have to get out of the car to close the left rare window and reach over to the front passenger side to close the window. I have never experienced anything like it in my 40 years of driving therefor would not recommend buying. Realistically and to be fair to consumers I would like to recommend a recall its not good enough.